Author Topic: Show us where the QB64 magic happens!  (Read 22239 times)

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
Show us where the QB64 magic happens!
« on: September 08, 2018, 06:31:58 pm »
Post a pic of your rig where your QB64 goodness is cooked.

I would have put this in the off-topic area but you can't attach pictures there?
In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
Re: Show us where the QB64 magic happens!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 07:00:32 pm »
Here's me showing off one of my many SCREEN 0 accomplishments to Steve and Clippy. https://www.myfreewallpapers.org/cartoons/social/the-looney-tunes-show-yosemite-sam.jpg

On a different topic, here is a reply by bplus to me when bplus represented "him"self with this avatar... for a brief period of time.

http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/di7/pok/di7pokd4T.jpg

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 11:02:21 pm »
Here's me showing off one of my many SCREEN 0 accomplishments to Steve and Clippy. https://www.myfreewallpapers.org/cartoons/social/the-looney-tunes-show-yosemite-sam.jpg

On a different topic, here is a reply by bplus to me when bplus represented "him"self with this avatar... for a brief period of time.

http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/di7/pok/di7pokd4T.jpg

Pete

Good Lord! Taking lessons from the President I see. :D

Hi Terry,

Nice desk! My room looks just like yours except it was hit by tornado.

Actually, I have 2 retired laptops, the dinosaur and the thing that crawled out of the sea and onto the Internet way back... I forget.

Oh! Funny thing when I expanded the attached snapshot of your room, I thought I saw a flying saucer outside your window, dang! it was only a poster.

BTW I also have the holy grail mug of the coding juice on my desk, right next to the 2 quart thermos of same.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 11:43:57 pm »
How the world sees me (or better, the place I usually sit... I'm not in the picture obviously):
 [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

How I see the world (with descriptions, inspired by Terry's):
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 12:19:07 am by FellippeHeitor »

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 01:32:27 am »
Awesome! Keep the pics coming. Fellippe, I have a perpetual mess too! I cleaned it up for my pic and when the wife saw my desk she about fainted. LOL

Now she expects me to clean the rest of the house. :(((

I built that desk out of 2x4's and plywood ... and lots of black and walnut stain/varnish. It's gotta weigh at least 200 pounds!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 01:35:41 am by TerryRitchie »

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 10:41:34 am »
Well, I'll join in too.  I usually code on a laptop sitting in my car in parking lots, or in coffee shops between gigs, but when at home here's where it happens (which is seldom lately).  It's only this clean because I am reorganizing it.

Terry, nice desk.  I bet it will last a loooong time.  Is that a T series thinkpad you have?  I'm a thinkpad user too.

Fillippe, cool that you are a musician too.  That figures because your programs seem so creative.

- Dav

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 11:11:01 am »
Nice digs Dav :)  When you need to relax a bit from coding .. break out the instruments. Yep, my laptop is a Thinkpad T430s. I've only owned Thinkpads for the past 20 years. They are the best IMO.

I used to be a musician but in the last 10 years I have not done much with it. I play concert violin and dabble in guitar a bit (when I say dabble I mean drive the cats and wife nuts). Speaking of cats ... Cajon?

Still rocking Win2K ... nice! I have a 2K tower in my shop that I haven't fired up in years. Might just do that today. :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:13:49 am by TerryRitchie »

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 11:13:50 am »
Nice setup, Dav! We should all get together and perform as the QBand.

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 11:36:39 am »
Terry: Cool. That's what I'm using now, a T430.  Great machine.
Fillippe:  That sounds fun! 

Thanks guys.

- Dav

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 11:48:53 am »
The T430 is a better model than my T430s. If I remember correctly yours has the option to use Intel or Nvidia graphics (dual graphics cards). The 's' in my model stands for 'slim', so a few sacrifices had to be made.

I love Thinkpads because you can upgrade them over a long period of time.

When new had 4GB of RAM and a 7200RPM HDD

- 2 years later upgraded to 8GB of RAM
- 2 years later upgraded to a 512GB SSD
- 2 years later purchased a new battery and a second battery that slides into the CD-ROM slot (10 hours of continuous use!)
- Very soon - remove the dual core i3720 CPU and install quad core i3730
- Very soon - upgrade to 16GB of RAM

I'll get another four years out of this laptop easy. The initial price of a Thinkpad looks prohibitive until you realize 10 years of productive use is the norm if you follow an upgrade path. Standard laptops (i.e. those sold at Wal-mart) may get you two to three years max. And even today's Wally-world laptops would still have trouble keeping up with my 7+ year old Thinkpad.

I used to have 2 T430s laptops but sold one here recently because I didn't need it any longer (left my job). Heck, I got $250 out of it even after all these years. I'll use that money to upgrade the 430s I still have.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:52:22 am by TerryRitchie »

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 12:26:16 pm »
Sounds like you have a rocking t430s. I picked up mine for about $100 at a pawn shop.  It was in mint condition.  It has intel graphics and came with Win10 (which I very quickly replaced with Win7). The only thing I've done to it so far is add a 2nd HDD in the ultrabay.  It came with a high capacity battery, in good shape.  The battery life on this model is amazing.  I've had many thinkpads over the years and I'm a fan of them, especially the business class models (T series).

- Dav

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 02:02:12 am »
$100 !! You stole that from them! Looking on eBay T430's in very good condition are selling for around $225.

The reason I got $250 out of my second T430s is because I included a 500GB ultrabay HDD, a second battery, and leather Thinkpad case. It also had a 120GB SSD as the main drive. Without those extras I probably would have gotten $175 at the most.

If I'm ever lucky enough to find a deal like yours I usually snap them up to flip on eBay or Craigslist. The closest pawn shops to me are over 30 miles away.

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 10:19:21 am »
Yeah, I really lucked out.  Often when playing a gig somewhere I'll check out nearby pawn shops for old trumpets. Saw this laptop for only $149. They let me have it for $109 out the door.  I grinned all the way back home. 

I'm charging all my extra thinkpad batteries today so I can code in QB64 in case the power goes out due to Hurricane Florence (it probably will). We're in the path of Flo but expect less than hurricane force winds by time it crosses over us (NC).

- Dav

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 12:20:55 pm »
I went through a hurricane in North Carolina in 1991. I was living in Havelock (Cherry Point) at the time. The eye stayed off the coast but I'll never forget that. There were evacuation centers you could go to but I had a trailer at the time and I thought, "My trailer has hurricane straps, I'll be fine". LOL, stupid, stupid, stupid.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 12:22:17 pm »
Be safe, Dav.