Author Topic: Show us where the QB64 magic happens!  (Read 22618 times)

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
Re: Show us where the QB64 magic happens!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 12:43:14 pm »
Now I feel guilty. In 1991 I sold hurricane straps on ebay. It turned out they were just old used tent tie downs, but by re-naming huricane straps, well, the margins were just too good to pass up. But hey, at least Terry's trailer came equipped with in-flight peanuts, just in case they failed.

Kidding aside, we have a few of our forum friends in the way of Flo, possibly even a bigger wind bag than your's truly. I'd recommend boarding up and getting out even if it was just me coming to visit for a day or two.

Yes, stay safe, and let's all hope that high pressure area, guiding it inland, breaks down sooner than expected.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 12:51:43 pm »
Thanks. We are taking precautions. Im securing stuff.  I'm worried about all those trees hanging over the house. EVeryone else around here seems to have water on the mind - it's just flying off the shelves.

- Dav

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 12:59:28 pm »
Yeah, the trees are the scary part. A big oak tree came down next to my trailer, luckily parallel and not across. Stay safe Dav.

The hurricane straps might as well been tent straps. When I could look down the length of trailer and see the hallway snaking around I knew I had made a mistake.

eBay, 1991? You must have it mistaken with Quantum Link.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:02:32 pm by TerryRitchie »
In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 01:21:30 pm »
Dav, you're the only one in the world that I know of, that is in the path of that ill wind, so now I'm invested and worried. Amazing how I made this about me. Keep Safe.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 04:33:50 pm »
Oh come on Terry, 1991, 1995, close a friggin' 'nough! :D

I was on the pier (Sterns Warf) in Santa Barbara during a micro-burst. I actually knew what it was when it happened. I guessed the wind was 80 mph, and the news later confirmed I was right. They have measuring equipment very close to the pier. The scary part was I was on the end of the pier moments before it hit. The end of the pier is unprotected. No guard rails, just a 30 foot drop off into the ocean, and over a 2/3rds mile swim to shore. Anyway, as I looked out over the horizon I saw a pretty weird cloud formation for the summertime. It stood alone, about a mile away and it actually looked like a mini hurricane. I decided weird is usually nature's way of telling us... GET OUT! so I walked back to where the buildings on the warf were located, about 1000 feet back. I'm glad I did. Right when I got there, large rain drops started, followed quickly by hail and a strong gust of wind. I went into a shop when the rain turned to hail and looked out a window to see the wind picking up quickly to that 80 mph speed. Everything outside was blowing sideways. The wind took down four of the giant metal flagpoles outside, but the noise from the wind was so loud, no one heard them crash on the pier. A lot of people in the shop thought it was a tornado. They must have thought I was a meteorologist, as I told everyone it was a micro-burst, the wind was probably close to 80 mph, and it would be over in about a minute, which it was. When I walked back to my car I thought it might be OK, because I purposely don't park under trees. Not because of micro-bursts, we never had such a thing before, but because I can live without the copious gifting associated with the many feathered residents who take up residence in those trees. I noticed the many palm trees in the area were damaged, but what was pretty amazing is some large ones were snapped in half, like toothpicks. There was also almost a foot of standing water on many streets near the pier. That's a lot to happen in just a minute. Hurricanes last a lot longer.

Honestly, if authorities order a mandatory evacuation, I'd take this one seriously. I keep watching the news for changes in pressure systems, wind shear, etc. and nothing positive seems to be developing so far. There is even high pressure building on the west side, which will stall the storm. I still hope everyone in the area gets through this with little or no incident and I'd like to see this era of sensationalism pass so instead our headlines are filled with stories about fires that get prevented or put out before houses are burned, storms that dissipate with no flooding, and mudslides that only occur in Africa because they don't have plastic to make the types of slides in our non-3rd world playgrounds. Maybe if Trump can get more congressional support, we can do our part by improving the infrastructure in and around our family homes so the destructive effects of nature can be better minimized or prevented. Anyway, at least got Dimster off the hook, as obviously it's all about me, now. I'm concerned about Dav, too. I've known him for a long time. He's not just an amazing programmer, but he also has really good Karma, so I'm betting whatever he decides will be right.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline Cobalt

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • At 60 I become highly radioactive!
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 09:02:17 pm »
According to my parents we went through hurricane Charley  in 1980 on the shore at Myrtle Beach NC in a tent. they stuck me and my older bro in two corners of the tent and my parents sat in the others to keep the tent down. from what I can find it was only a Cat 1 hurricane at its strongest. seeing how I was only like 18 months old or so at the time really don't remember it, just going off what I've been told.
SO suck it up I went through a hurricane on the BEACH in a TENT at age 18 Months!! pu**ies! :D
Granted after becoming radioactive I only have a half-life!

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 10:35:30 pm »
Sounds like another satisfied customer who bought my hurricane tie downs from my Quantum Leap pre-1995 ebay account.

Pete :D

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 05:43:26 pm »
Hey Pete
at news on TV I have heard that Trump is ready to front the hurricane Florence.
Have you sold something to him?

@Dav
How far is Florence from you?  Can we launch a  Pete's trap to bring away it? Or do you prefer the tent of Cobalt?
Let to know good news about you!
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 10:25:09 pm »
Thank you all for your concern. We will be ok here. We're not on the coast, but inland. However we still expect major flooding and really high winds here...for days.  Luckily for us the storm has dipped south more so the center is no longer projected to come right over us, but we will be on the north side of it, which has the worst rain and wind they say.

I expect power may go out here due to falling trees, and we probably will loose internet  because our cable service comes from across a creek that floods bad and the company runs the cable IN the water instead of over, so debris often tangles up in the lines and rips them out when it floods.  Flooding and falling trees are my biggest concern.  People on the coast will have it much worse than we will. Don't worry about us too much, we aren't expected to have it as bad as others.

- Dav

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 02:04:14 am »
I'm getting my wish that it's breaking down instead of building up. Cat 2 now when they expected it to build to 4. I hope it degrades to a 1 late tomorrow, and maybe it will be like the one Cobalt rode out. What he failed to tell us if he loaded his diaper when the storm hit. That would account for his smaller size being able to hold his corner of the tent in place. :D

Let's hope the storm surge is less than anticipated, so the flood waters can reside as fast as possible. If the flooding is minimized, the chances of toxic substances in the water supply will also be diminished. In any event, don't go out walking around in the muck until it gets tested. Here in California Oprah went out in what she thought was mud from the Monticeto mudslide. I have a friend who works for a environmental testing facility who actually conducted tests in that very area Oprah was walking through. Tests revealed Oprah was mostly walking around in a bunch of sewage. O****! Interesting, same amount of letters .

Pete

Offline PMACKAY

• Forum Regular
  • LIFE is Temporary
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 11:00:25 am »
55" screen with stereo and full size tower below
MackyWhite

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2018, 04:28:05 pm »
my 15" notebook TOSHIBA doesn't let me catch it in a photo....because it often changes room in the house.
So no image .

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2018, 04:58:12 pm »
55" screen with stereo and full size tower below

The bottles of water right above the power outlets made me a bit uneasy.

People in Brazil used to think that a bottle of water placed above your electricity meter would make it spin slower and lead to cheaper bills. I believe the myth has already been debunked since I don't see many of those anymore since I was a kid.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/WCIbcGWjaX0/hqdefault.jpg
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:01:40 pm by FellippeHeitor »

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2018, 01:02:39 am »
my 15" notebook TOSHIBA doesn't let me catch it in a photo....because it often changes room in the house.
So no image .

No need to apologize. There should, however, have been a comma placed before and after TOSHIBA: "My 15" notebook, SORRY, doesn't let me catch it in a photo....because it often changes room in the house. So no image."

Pete

- Toshiba, Japanese for "I'm sorry!"

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2018, 07:34:32 am »
Hi Pete
thanks for info but google translator is against your version
see here
https://translate.google.it/#ja/en/TOSHIBA

How many hurricane traps have you sold to Trump?