Author Topic: QB64 v2.0.2 released! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️  (Read 16947 times)

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
Re: QB64 v2.0 released! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2021, 11:07:41 am »
Congratulations to the development team and members here for the selfless time put into the development and testing of a very large and important upgrade to QB64.

"selfless" hmm... mind if I get a little psychological?

I would bet real money, if people didn't find this "work" deeply satisfying they wouldn't do it.
I would also bet if someone told them to do this stuff, they would not do it nearly so well.
Also, isn't it a great pleasure to share your genius with others who might be able to follow and appreciate that genius? Doesn't this underlay the advantage of capitalism over communism?

But agreed, this is significant upgrade!

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2021, 11:12:30 am »
@doppler Thank you, and that's indeed a good idea! They did a piece on us back in 2018 (https://hackaday.com/2018/02/22/quickbasic-lives-on-with-qb64/) let's see if we can grab their attention again.

@KennyP @pforpond @RhoSigma @George McGinn @hanness Thanks y'all! It's great to have your continued support. Also, thank you for helping us test it so the release could happen so swiftly.

@bplus you're totally right. It is deeply satisfying and addictive. It wouldn't be half as enjoyable if you guys weren't around using it, providing people with support when they have issues, and, in your case and @Qwerkey's specifically, helping us maintain the samples gallery. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

✨🤗

Offline doppler

• Forum Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2021, 12:39:48 pm »
@doppler Thank you, and that's indeed a good idea! They did a piece on us back in 2018 (https://hackaday.com/2018/02/22/quickbasic-lives-on-with-qb64/) let's see if we can grab their attention again.
✨🤗

OK, the prefect additive for the post on hack-a-day (they like something to look at not just read), would be the about to be video "Debug mode, a video for the QB64 V2.0 newbies."  Sit back and wait for the cascade of new users.

Offline OldMoses

• Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2021, 12:58:59 pm »
Wow, that was fast...and here I haven't even upgraded to the latest 1.5 release yet.

I'll be eagerly awaiting the debug video, too. Thanks for all the good work you do.

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2021, 02:21:49 pm »
Can't leave your desk for a minute and poof the acorn becomes a tree.

With great work come great responsibility to weld the powerful tools correctly.  Fellippe your Super Coder Cape is showing. Gawd I hope this makes me one of the world best programmers.

Thank you.

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2021, 02:27:54 pm »
Congratulations on another great release!  It's working wonderful here.  My projects are all compiling and running without any issues (from the compiler that is...).   

Not a complaint in any way, but I'm wondering why the version number jumped from v1.5 to 2.0?

Thank you QB64 team for all the hard work you have done! 

- Dav

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2021, 02:42:15 pm »
Thanks y'all! Keep us posted on how it's working with your projects.

@Dav following what's outlined in https://semver.org, the version bump is justified since we introduced a change that somewhat breaks compatibility with the previous iteration. In our case, it has to do with the function recursion bug we have fixed in the latest release.

Offline zaadstra

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2021, 03:14:50 pm »
I'll be eagerly awaiting the debug video, too. Thanks for all the good work you do.

I second that!

Offline zaadstra

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2021, 04:16:21 pm »
Hey and look at THAT !!!  (Dutch):

https://tweakers.net/downloads/57778/qb64-20.html

A good moment to increase visibility of QB64 :-)

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2021, 05:22:14 pm »
That's cool!

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2021, 05:39:40 pm »
Here it goes:

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2021, 05:46:11 pm »
Fillippe,

Comparing version 2.0 with version 1.5, I have come to a serious conclusion, that disturbs me greatly.

The games that I played, constructed with version 1.5, demonstrated that I am "killed off" quite quickly... Version 2.0 produced almost the exact same results.

Although the team has done an exemplary job, in producing the upgrade, I have to conclude that, regardless of the QB64 version, my skills, or lack of them, seems to be the only causal factor. *sigh*

Congratulations on a job well done!!
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2021, 05:49:21 pm »
The games that I played, constructed with version 1.5, demonstrated that I am "killed off" quite quickly... Version 2.0 produced almost the exact same results.

Although the team has done an exemplary job, in producing the upgrade, I have to conclude that, regardless of the QB64 version, my skills, or lack of them, seems to be the only causal factor. *sigh*

Hahahahhaahha, sorry to hear about that, @johnno56! Let's work together on a patch for a future release 😂!

Thank you so much!

Offline OldMoses

• Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2021, 08:02:15 pm »
Wow! that didn't take long, and it really helped me get a handle on just what debug is all about. Thanks.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2021, 08:04:28 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it, OldMoses! Let me know how the experience with it goes.