Author Topic: Samples Gallery  (Read 22813 times)

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
Samples Gallery
« on: February 25, 2020, 05:48:33 am »
In our 500Up! thread, bplus made the suggestion that we might nominate (and vote for) members and their programs for inclusion in the Samples Gallery (which at present is a little bare – Ursa Minor! *).  That method would perhaps be a little cumbersome and folks don't want to spend time doing that.

Here's my suggestion - STxAxTIC has suggested having Junior Librarians to help him:

A Junior Librarian (who has been given the necessary permission) would contact the Top 20 Starters by e-mail - these folk must be the most deserving - and request that they select one Program which they would like to submit to the Samples Gallery.  The Junior Librarian, when he has satisfied himself/herself that the Program meets STxAxTIC's selection criteria will then add this to the Gallery.  This method would be in addition to the existing method of self-application to the Head Librarian.

As we currently have 16 samples, this would bring us up to about 35 and should give a broader range of applications.

I assume that the Junior Librarian would be able to access a more complete set of Site Statistics so that he/she can determine who the Top 20 Starters are (only 10 are visible in the normal stats).

This is a sufficiently non-technical task that I'd volunteer for this job.

Separately there could be a similar Junior Librarian Post for Toolbox which would be sufficiently technical that I would not qualify.

Worthy of pursuing, or another duff Qwerkey suggestion?

* Sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation of an astronomical pun.

Offline Ashish

• Forum Resident
  • Never Give Up!
Re: Samples Gallery
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 07:44:38 am »
if (Me.success) {Me.improve()} else {Me.tryAgain()}

My Projects - https://github.com/AshishKingdom?tab=repositories
OpenGL tutorials - https://ashishkingdom.github.io/OpenGL-Tutorials

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 09:53:07 am »
Voting would solve a couple problems that would otherwise be more work for whomever does the library work:
1) verifies it works for others
2) entertains or does something positive that causes a person to vote
3) or proves someone has a bunch of fans which I think is OK too
4) It might get more participation at this forum and help membership be more meaningful

Here I am talking about samples not toolbox items.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:54:37 am by bplus »

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 10:10:16 am »
bplus, I agree with everything you say (and I'd like such a system).  I just thought that not many of us would want to do the voting thing.  We'll see what the opinions are.

Offline _vince

• Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:10:37 am »
Vince Tetris #1!!!

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 12:41:37 pm »
bplus, I agree with everything you say (and I'd like such a system).  I just thought that not many of us would want to do the voting thing.  We'll see what the opinions are.

I wonder if my belief in democracy is a bit naive. I got to wondering about quality of votes which is specially an issue when the numbers are small. eg could we weight votes by # of replies, no because some people come just to chat and that's fun and some come bearing a precious give and then go again, hit and run in a good way. :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:37:16 pm by bplus »

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 12:46:43 pm »
Just head over to the Programs board and click the "Replies" heading and you'll have a list sorted by number of replies, if that's any indicative of popularity.

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

PS: Sorting by view sure does give a good insight, as those will have been "seen" even by non-members browsing the forum, likely indicating the ones with most attractive titles.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:49:23 pm by FellippeHeitor »

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 01:31:45 pm »
If our numbers were in the hundreds I would be in favor of an active democracy, but for now we have what I will call a "passive" one. Itll be too obvious to reverse engineer who voted for what - so I like Fellippes idea... but this only works to first order in the sense that reply and view count is not indicative of the success of any particular program. Instead, these numbers measure at the very least the clickbait factor, maybe in some cases the efficacy of code
You're not done when it works, you're done when it's right.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 03:58:34 pm »
Can someone please add this to sample gallery -> https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=1139.msg103744#msg103744
and
https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=1453

Hi Ashish,

I will second the motion if you make clear with Best Answer checked and promise you are done modifying :)
(Who is ever completely satisfied? )

Offline Ashish

• Forum Resident
  • Never Give Up!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 03:19:11 am »
Hi Ashish,

I will second the motion if you make clear with Best Answer checked and promise you are done modifying :)
(Who is ever completely satisfied? )
@bplus
I have checked best answer.  Please add these to samples gallery.. I am trying this for almost a year... The Librarian never replies to my mail....
:'(
if (Me.success) {Me.improve()} else {Me.tryAgain()}

My Projects - https://github.com/AshishKingdom?tab=repositories
OpenGL tutorials - https://ashishkingdom.github.io/OpenGL-Tutorials

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 04:43:19 am »
If everybody is happy, we'll go along the lines of Fellippe - the Most Replies sort list is the beginning of the method.  The Junior Librarian will then use his/her intelligence to contact members for Samples submissions.

I volunteer for the post.  How do I get the permission status of STxAxTIC, so that I can add posts?

Ashish, please be patient a while longer while we sort out who is doing what (I should be able to have more time than our hard-pressed Head Librarian, if I'm given the job).

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 07:55:06 am »
Wham, you have my permission.

Provided you join discord! Jk. Well you should. If you think the forums are hot, that place is much hotter. Someone will beam you the password once you get there. (If you really can't then we'll do something else.)
You're not done when it works, you're done when it's right.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 11:49:51 am »
@bplus
I have checked best answer.  Please add these to samples gallery.. I am trying this for almost a year... The Librarian never replies to my mail....
:'(

Yes thanks, the ones you want to show are now easy to find and make a quick check to see they work on my system and are great and demo 3D _GL.

I second the motion for both Ashish links but I think Qwerkey is already on the case! I think TerryRitchie favorable reply since nomination counts as a vote.

I don't agree with the number of replies criteria because they could be about anything just looking at top 10, Ashish Moving in Matrix Rain is about only one about one thing and the Inform one is about leaning Inform with more than trivial example, it was pretty good. I would nominate that as well as Qwekey's Crossword Generator because it generated interest from members otherwise mostly inactive.

Totally in favor of Qwerkey helping STxAxTIC it's a big job.

@Qwerkey
If everybody is happy, we'll go along the lines of Fellippe - the Most Replies sort list is the beginning of the method.

Fellippe said most 'views" not replies:
PS: Sorting by view sure does give a good insight, as those will have been "seen" even by non-members browsing the forum, likely indicating the ones with most attractive titles.

that is an insight but views tend to grow in faddish explosion of numbers, people look at what other people are looking at and replies add to explosion.

Again I say nominate, get a second, take a vote after time has put things in place in memory. The vote is judged by quality of comments as well as number.

And since it's not too cool for librarians or their assistants to self nominate and get selected without due process, I am prepared to nominate some of Qwerkey's projects. STxAxTIC's is harder to judge, he works on different level with physics and math interest and brings in his previous "PL" which I think is lambda based?, which makes things very rich, ie PhD applied computer science, but esoteric. For him, I would take him by his word, if he says it's good it probably is ;-))

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:04:05 pm by bplus »

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 04:56:45 am »
Wham, you have my permission.

Provided you join discord! Jk. Well you should. If you think the forums are hot, that place is much hotter. Someone will beam you the password once you get there. (If you really can't then we'll do something else.)

OK, I'll sign up and head over there, and we'll take it from there.

Offline _vince

• Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 08:55:07 pm »
The original 'The QBasic Forum' had a 'Programs you're proud of' section where individual users could start a thread, titled with their name, and reply with their own programs for a more refined list. I would love something like that as a subforum of the programs section open selectively to deserving users where each thread is their own, replies are individual programs, and no comments by other users are allowed. Some kind of style and consistency could be lightly enforced. I feel like the 'samples' section should be kept short and highly selective for stuff that's polished and refined and paints QB64 in a good light with programs that are readily consumable, not even necessarily the most impressive or largest projects, though it could certainly use a reshuffling in its current state.