Author Topic: QB64 happily installed on my Chromebook  (Read 3010 times)

Offline CharlieJV

• View Profile
QB64 happily installed on my Chromebook
« on: November 23, 2021, 03:33:54 pm »
Hello,

First, about QB64, I'd like to give some seriously major props to Fellippe, all project contributors (in whatever capacity), and the community (because product greatness alone does not a great product make.)  Everything related to QB64 seems right frigging awesome !

Introduction:

I am a career Gupta Team Developer (aka GTD, previously known as SQLWindows) programmer (and systems analyst) since 1995.
GTD is my all time favourite software development tool for complex business applications running in Windows.  In large part, I appreciate GTD because of the quality of the IDE's code outline, with a level of code indentation/organisation that is unmatched, I think, by anything out there in the market since the mid-90's and to this day.  (The quality of the code-folding helps me overcome cognitive challenges.)

However, my heart belongs to Basic in any incarnation (since my VIC-20 days in the early 80's).  A bit of a nomad, I've played with various Basic implementations over the last few years, and QB64 seems like a really nice one.  I cannot wait to dive in.

That said, I've got a few cognitive disorders going on, in particular attention-deficiency.  Exacerbated by me finding everything under the sun really interesting: everything is a shiny object grabbing my attention.  (i.e. SQUIRREL !)  I hope that I can find some time and remain focused enough to contribute at least something a little bit useful to fans of QB64.  Might take a while ...

About my QB64 setup:

I've got QB64 and InForm successfully installed on my Chromebook (i.e. Linux development environment turned on.)  The process and end-result are the same as installing on Debian 10 (Buster).

InForm install, as per online instructions, did not work.  I'll post something about that in the appropriate subforum, and cross-link from here when that's done.

I've also setup application shortcuts in ChromeOS to launch both QB64 and Inform.  If anybody needs help with that, let me know here and I can reply with instructions on how to do that.  Well, anything related to QB64 setup on Chromebook, I can probably help.  (Just a little hard to retrace some steps.)

I've also installed the Geany editor and some plug-ins to help with project management and to make it easier to scan very long code.

I really like the QB64 editor:  I feel right at home there, and I am going to use that as much as possible.  For complex code, I'll need to lean on Geany (assuming I can get everything working juuuuust right) to assist me with them cognitive challenges.

Enough of that.  Cheers and best regards!
- Long-winded me.

FellippeHeitor

Re: QB64 happily installed on my Chromebook
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 02:13:29 pm »
Welcome aboard, @CharlieJV! I'm happy to be part of this community and to share the love for QB64 with everyone. @Galleon must be proud of his creation and I certainly feel proud to be a team member.

I'm looking forward to hearing what went wrong with installing InForm, so I can address the issues.

Fellippe.

Offline CharlieJV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 02:46:34 pm »
@Galleon must be proud of his creation and I certainly feel proud to be a team member.

ARG!  I should have brushed-up on my history.  Rob, you sweet sweet gift to the world o' Basic:  thank-you !

Offline CharlieJV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 04:56:40 pm »
I'm looking forward to hearing what went wrong with installing InForm, so I can address the issues.

Fellippe.

Done: A "bug" in the instructions? Maybe some kind of tweak would help?

Although I'm still debating whether it was just me having a face-palm moment...