Author Topic: QB64 competitors... It is an hard life!  (Read 13663 times)

Offline zaadstra

• View Profile
Re: QB64 competitors... It is an hard life!
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2021, 06:26:26 am »
Talking here about BASIC or QB64 not good enough anymore for professional purposes.

There are several QB64 programs by my hand running on Windows Servers at work, as "glue" or diagnostic tools, or report generators.
QB64 suits the job perfectly if you ask me.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2021, 12:12:03 pm »
When you think about it, they are really C/C++ programs. QB64 is a converter. I don't know about gaming, but for business purposes, QBASIC was every bit as useful as any so-called professional language. Maybe even better. It's faster to code in BASIC. No pointers, no dimming everything. With QB64, we didn't even need to DECLARE SUBS. So maybe it's just a stigma, but if in today's times full grown adults chose to take gummy vitamins, well, sign me up for an extra helping of TinkerToy BASIC.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2021, 12:19:42 pm »
Winning a competition like Syntax Bomb's is a way to show QB64 is as good as any other.

Offline George McGinn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • Resume
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2021, 10:50:56 pm »
I just checked, and QB64 is now listed 5th for best BASIC-like languages, even beating out PowerBASIC!

Keep rating it.

https://www.slant.co/topics/9807/~basic-like-programming-languages
Technical Council on Software Engineering
IEEE Standards Association
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2021, 11:50:47 pm »
I'd rate the site it's rated on at a 2 out of 10. It's an add heavy site, and sluggish beyond belief.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline George McGinn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • Resume
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2021, 12:31:52 am »
I guess PowerBASIC and VisualBASIC is paying as much as QB64!

I'd rate the site it's rated on at a 2 out of 10. It's an add heavy site, and sluggish beyond belief.

Pete
Technical Council on Software Engineering
IEEE Standards Association
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)

Offline doppler

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2021, 08:17:50 am »
https://www.slant.co/topics/9807/~basic-like-programming-languages

Who is the dork, who challenged the developers here.  Was he someone who is trolling, or got mad because "We" may have pointed out a blonder of his.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2021, 08:26:48 am »
Who is the dork, who challenged the developers here.  Was he someone who is trolling, or got mad because "We" may have pointed out a blonder of his.

Probably the ex-member who cannot be named.  Just try it yourself...  Type a message and insert the name code...hunter without the dots.  Your message will autocorrect to [banned user] automatically!

Voldemort hell!  We have our own He-who-shall-not-be-named!!   LOL!!
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2021, 08:48:28 am »
Whoa, you guys really got us in the list. Kudos y'all. ❤️

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2021, 11:18:48 am »

Blonder? I love it! A blunder that blonds make!

Hey did you guys know the grammatically preferred American and Canadian spelling is blond, instead of blonde, but in French, blond is used to to identify men with yellowish hair, while blonde is used to identify women with yellowish hair? Does this mean in France if you don't identify as male or female, you have to become a brunette? And now, back to our regular forum topic...

Yes, I was able to read some of the comments at that ratings site, despite the forever page loading with ads, and the #1 reason to use QB64 was... It's FREE! Whoopee, there's a stellar endorsement. I guess it's somehow cheaper than those other no-cost BASIC languages. Hey I wonder what ever happened to Walt? He was last working on a project he called Crystal BASIC. I can see the ad for that now. There's Steve. We replaced his regular version of QB64 with new BASIC Crystals. I wonder if he'll noticed. (Play on an old Folger's coffee commercial, for those of you who are from the post-Jurasic period). Anyway, BASIC doesn't make most lists of other ranking sites for the top 20 programming languages of 2021. Many of those sites are aimed at careers, and BASIC is just not considered a language used for career work. Even back in the day it was considered a way for  non-career oriented folk to enjoy the ability to write programs on home computers. So while I cannot see people preferring the syntax of those other non-BASIC languages over BASIC, the human failing of follow the popularity has always outweighed the choice of practicality. In computer science, this outweighing is so pronounced the scales were not just tipped, but they were completely tipped over.

The tremendous success  QB64 has is completing the goal of QB compatibility, along with its continued support, and development. No need to add some -lang compatibility switch, as with a certain "to remain unnamed" short bus to C language. Too bad QB64 missed out on the mobile market. I guess Rob dropped his remake QB64 as a JAVA translator venture. (For those of you who don't know, C C++, which is the code QB64 translates into, can only be used in part to write Android apps). As for Apple, I believe you need Objective-C, although I have read that OpenGL games can be uploaded to Apple mobile devices. I'm not sure if this is true. For now, it looks like the QB64 debugger / interpreter addition will aid us in helping any real new coders but it would take a solid plan to find and attract these newcomers. I'm sure the site George mentioned would be happy to cram yet another ad in it for us, just don't expect it to be free. Schools, at least here in the US, will not promote software unless there is some deal with the state, although charter schools can be approached, but still have acceptance standards they would prefer be met. In other words, if you are a nationally known organization, you stand a chance. So where could QB64 be showcased? My stab at it would be to eventually create a DIY site that showcases finished projects, Flappy Bird comes to mind, with videos that show how such projects can be put together in QB64. That would give us a bigger YTube audience. I'd figure who wouldn't want to send a friend for a free download of some fun or useful app, and maybe 1 out of 10 would be curious enough to want to download QB64 to start making their own stuff. Obviously adding OOP and extensive use libraries would make it more attractive, but here we go again, flying in the face of BASIC as a teaching language. I hope if the developer(s) ever go this route, a current copy of QB64 gets named and preserved and better still, what follows is renamed, much like PowerBASIC for DOS and PowerBASIC for Windows, but using better nomenclature, please. We certainly could run PowerBASIC for DOS on Windows. Oh, let's not go with QB64 OOPS, for obvious reasons. Maybe QB64 Pro?

Pete

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2021, 11:29:51 am »
Hey I wonder what ever happened to Walt?

Banned too. Anyone who's willing to go public saying "I'm out to destroy the product and the QB64 Team" is not welcome.

I appreciate you guys don't bring them up around again.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2021, 11:59:53 am »
I was not aware he made those statements, or maybe I just forgot. It's been awhile.

Pete

Offline doppler

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2021, 06:39:59 pm »
Blonder? I love it! A blunder that blonds make!

It was a blunder to say blonder.  But looking back now I like blonder more.
kinda sums it up.  A freebee two-fer.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2021, 07:03:54 pm »
Well like I always say, "It takes a big man to admit Steve is wrong!" I know, this humor stuff, right? It's why I can rest a little easier now with extended editing back. Before that occurred, I made a post where I wrote something while thinking of Larry the Cable guy... shut up, Steve, this has nothing to do with that scene from Deliverance. I mean about his "The Right to Bare Arms," bit. So since I had that going through my head, I actually posted it that way. Lucky for me, the 5-minute sh*t clock hadn't run out yet. Yeah, edit: The Right to Bear Arms. Whew, what a blonder that would have been for me! Now if you will excuse me, the bear called, and he wants his right arm back.

Pete

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2021, 07:09:08 pm »
Pete's wife must be singing my praises again.  That's about the twelfth time he's mentioned me in a post this evening. 

I'm sorry Pete.  She just finds my Halloween costume -- a banana peel themed pair of undies -- much sexier than your two walnuts on a string!
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!