Author Topic: QB64 works fine on Windows 11!  (Read 6613 times)

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
Re: QB64 works fine on Windows 11!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 09:43:03 pm »
And what do you mean those days.

When I was part way through High School, we used our 'grey-matter' and slide rules do do our math. Pocket calculators had just been developed but were too expensive for school kids. Personal computers were at least a decade away. Various versions of DOS while waiting for this new Windows system. I have been around computers now for over 50 years... That is what I mean by 'those days'.

(I used 'those days' because I dislike the term 'back in the day'... but that's me... lol)
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline doppler

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2021, 08:11:46 am »
When I was part way through High School, we used our 'grey-matter' and slide rules do do our math. Pocket calculators had just been developed but were too expensive for school kids. Personal computers were at least a decade away. Various versions of DOS while waiting for this new Windows system. I have been around computers now for over 50 years... That is what I mean by 'those days'.

(I used 'those days' because I dislike the term 'back in the day'... but that's me... lol)
So you have been around computers about less than a half decade more than me.  Not too much has changed since then.  The calculators got cheaper and smarter.  Kids don't know how to use or let alone what a slide rule is.  They prob wonder where the trigger is so the center part can go flying.  Computers didn't make things easier since then.  Can you really name one piece of a modern computer that can't get Borked?  Even the floppy drive can get misaligned making your floppies only work in your computer.  And if you have not backed up those floppies you won't be able to read the data, now or very soon.  And don't get me started on software, vaporware and over-hyped O/S's.

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2021, 02:20:40 pm »
I've been using Windows 11 for a few months now. It's very smooth. I prefer it to the previous versions of Windows. Good performance and great design. QB64 programs look great in Windows 11, especially when calling dialog boxes from Common Controls version 6.
Shuwatch!

Offline Bert22306

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2021, 04:08:35 pm »
Ye, the QB64 performance seems mostly unchanged, perhaps a hair slower than it was with Win10. I'm not positive about that yet.

I use Steve's graphics speed test, and my own number crunching speed test program. Both give more or less the same results as before. In my test, which creates three groups of five results, I get one or two slightly higher numbers in each group, than previously. But, still beta testing days for Win11, and that sort of stuff gets improved over time.

So, good deal there. In Steve's graphics test, the high number was increased when I enabled virtualization based security (VBS). Even using Windows 10. The low number was unchanged by VBS. And my number crunching performance numbers also unchanged, by VBS.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2021, 12:27:32 am »
Just ran into my first real gripe with Win 11 — the right click context menu has changed.  It was a simple right click, then select copy, or paste, or extract archive…

Now it’s right click, click “more options”, select from old menu as before.  There’s an extra, stupid, select/click involved in there now, which I personally find a very annoying move.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2021, 03:33:08 am »
You know what really gripes me? Complainers. Complainers really gripe me. People should stop their endless complaining, and learn to have a much more rosy outlook on life, like I do...

Pete :D
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline doppler

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2021, 05:59:58 am »
extra, stupid, select/click involved in there now

And Likely there is a reg fix to remove it from selection.  Microsoft has learned painfully.  Any change that effects sales must be able to be undone.  Easily proven by that fact Win 7 came out.  It was a response to undo Vista.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2021, 11:02:45 am »
And Likely there is a reg fix to remove it from selection.  Microsoft has learned painfully.  Any change that effects sales must be able to be undone.  Easily proven by that fact Win 7 came out.  It was a response to undo Vista.

Supposedly there is.  Only problem is the registery fix doesn’t currently do anything for me easily.  According to MS help, it requires a complete reboot of the system for the “fix” to work, (and even then it takes a half dozen register alterations), and since my laptop is currently being used as a web server and torrent host, that’s something I’m trying hard to avoid downtime as much as possible on it, since there’s no dedicated mirror for it.

It’s rather silly, in my opinion.  Why does a simple context menu need a complete system reboot to start from default menu 2, rather than default menu 1?  A simple variable toggle could easily designate the default menu to use.

Somebody’s doing some rather crappy coding on this Win 11 update.  Little things like this makes me wonder just how many glitches are going to pop up once it all goes live later this year, or early next year.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline doppler

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2021, 11:27:36 am »
Not going to happen.  Microsoft has always been a feature driven company.  It's always been a problem.  Microsoft can't get it right until the third release of a product.  That's a maxim.  Another given odd number Star Trek movies suck.

Offline Bert22306

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2021, 05:55:42 pm »
Just ran into my first real gripe with Win 11 — the right click context menu has changed.  It was a simple right click, then select copy, or paste, or extract archive…

Now it’s right click, click “more options”, select from old menu as before.  There’s an extra, stupid, select/click involved in there now, which I personally find a very annoying move.

I have precisely the same gripe. How dumb is it, to hide an option as commonly used as "copy," behind a "more options" category? I don't really understand what could lead someone to make such a decision.

Other than niggling issues like that, I honestly don't see the point of all the fuss. We should be excited because now the task bar icons are centered? In reading some of the articles about Win11, turns out that this new taskbar required all new code. Whoopie doo, right? There might be changes that are making some people excited, but nothing obvious to me, the way I use the OS.

Oh, and no live tiles? I'm not heartbroken over that, but is this an improvement?

Anyway, the essential point is that the IDE works perfectly well, as do the .exe files generated by QB64.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 06:00:18 pm by Bert22306 »

Offline jack

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 06:07:24 pm »
I have a hunch that Windows 11 will "learn" often used items in the "more options" and place them on top of the list without having to go to the more options menu, I have not tested this to make absolutely sure'
but as an experiment, you who have 11 beta installed, select something from the more options a dozen times and see what happens