Author Topic: I'm stumped by this error  (Read 4624 times)

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
Re: I'm stumped by this error
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 02:03:33 pm »
Hey @Jaze thanks for this, I spent the morning doing my own version with one-liner jokes. :)

Offline Jaze

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2021, 10:49:46 am »
I think I did quite a good job on it. My only regret is that I only included a handful of phrases to pick from. Granted there is an option to add a phrase, but it's difficult to not remember the phrases you put in yourself. The only thing for it is to sit there adding a large number of phrases so you eventually forget what you added. . . or have someone else add them for you.

I saw this game puzzle in a much older version of Qbasic that came with windows... I actually downloaded it from a BBS. Anyway, the game didn't work. I put the finishing touches on it back then. As long as I did the wheel of fortune hint thing I could get most of them. I've been thinking of redoing this for a few years now and finally did.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2021, 12:01:24 pm »
I think I did quite a good job on it.

@Jaze Yes beautifully laid out and all the ways to give hints plus you can save a game in progress.

I did have troubles using the hints, got very confused because the hints did not update the Letters used.
I think I needed the original coded version with the working line right underneath, that's the first thing I did with the version I came up with completely overhauling your start in this thread.

Now that you are satisfied with yours I will show you what I came up with from your start. It's in a zip because you have to have the txt file that goes with it.

PS to @johnno56 some minor changes to what I posted elsewhere eg elsewhere changed characters in the txt file!

PPS the clues are: remember these are one liner jokes plus and when you get an lower case letter right in the answer it will show as lower case in the working line under the coded line.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 12:05:06 pm by bplus »

Offline Jaze

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2021, 12:21:00 pm »
I had the same error with the hints but I thought I worked around that. Tried it just now and apparently not. I'll fix it and repost the game. @bplus thanks for letting me know it isn't quite right yet. On the bright side, I was wondering what to do next and now I have an answer.

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2021, 04:10:04 pm »
bplus,

Quick unrelated question... How did you add the link '@johnno56' to your post?

J
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2021, 04:15:46 pm »
bplus,

Quick unrelated question... How did you add the link '@johnno56' to your post?

J

Link? do you mean notification of mentions in profile? If no, what did you get linked to?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 04:18:48 pm by bplus »