Author Topic: QB64 and FreeBasic  (Read 5493 times)

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
Re: QB64 and FreeBasic
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 06:43:05 pm »
Hello everyone!
I'm new to the forum, I've been a hobbyist programmer for a few years and I know a little about some programming languages. Lately I was programming in FreeBasic, and I was really enjoying it, it is an excellent programming language, however after meeting QB64 my eyes shone. I was impressed and completely in love with the project. Everything in the QB64 is beautiful! From the IDE's retro look to the project's website, it's wonderful. It is fantastic to program in QB as in the past, to be able to hear the beep sounds and everything and use the IDE with the same visual. Sorry for the sugary words but this is how I feel with QB64. I want to congratulate those involved in the development of language and IDE. I want to thank you for enabling us to write QB programs for modern systems today. And I ask you to stay in the same direction and with the same enthusiasm. The QB64 was a great gift for me. Thank you very much!

Yeah that FreeBasic - lang QB switch just didn't cut it. I couldn't sell the developers, over there, on my -QB64 switch. If you used it, it would kill all your FreBasic files, and download QB64. Now that's what I consider to be a real FreeBasic QB64 switch!

Welcome to the forum and remember to only program in SCREEN 0. The only screen anyone would ever need.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline AtomicSlaughter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 02:18:36 pm »
I wouldn't really bother when you can use Geany as a pretty capable IDE for FreeBASIC, along with a dozen other languages.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 02:33:11 pm »
And surely someone has tried Notepad++ specially if Windows user? Tabbed code windows is nice and they have a Compare extension option.

Still that Syntax checking and code formatting on every line with warnings, hard to beat! but maybe spoils one for other options?

FB people should be envious of QB64 at least for IDE side, and someone at FB is saying but you haven't seen this XYZ Editor Option, right! but if you don't know Basic code very well you want a solid IDE used and understood by all to help newbies get going.

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • My small QB64 contribution
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 12:46:10 pm »
Hi Fellippe and Bert22306,

The IDE depends on the compiler. The compiler doesn't depend on the IDE. Any IDE can be used with QB64, provided it has settings for command line compilation, which QB64 supports since forever.

Sure, I can use antother IDE that calls qb64 -x XXX.bas -o YYY iff well interfaced such as notepad++ on Windows (I dream to have it with both Linux and macOS) !

But if the QB64 old fshioned IDE depends of the compiler (because it's written in QB64 language) this isn't a good reason for having its source code completely imbricated into the compiler source code.

As a matter of fact, we could have for the best of both the compiler (the language itself) and its current IDE two different programs, one the compiler alone, and two, the IDE that would be compiled, then calling the compiler for its own projects.

As said early, I know that's a big job to do but there is no technical and objective reason for continuing the original "lack of design (of the cpmplete project)" of these two excellent programming tools.

That's just my point further allowing to enhance the IDE and/or the Compiler separately without creating "bugs" of one to the other.

Just my two cents.

BTW, I love the QB64 language even if I'm not an expert.

Cheers.
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.