Author Topic: QB64 1.4 Won't Run  (Read 4286 times)

Offline MilwJohn

• View Profile
QB64 1.4 Won't Run
« on: February 06, 2021, 10:36:26 pm »
PC is an IBM clone running an Intel I5-4590 @ 3.3 gHz
8 gb RAM
2 TB disk
Win 10 64 bit

What do I do to get QB64 1.4 to run?

I granted full security control to the QB64 folders.

I tried to run QB64.exe
All I get is a screen that looks like a DOS window with the message
"press any key to continue"

A press of any key closed the window and nothing further happens.

What is it, that I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
Re: QB64 1.4 Won't Run
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 10:43:33 pm »
Have you whitelisted the folder in your antivirus?
Shuwatch!

Offline MilwJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 11:09:19 pm »
Windows Defender is my anti-virus.  Protection History shows no threats blocked.

How is whitelisting accomplished in Defender?

Thanks for getting back to me.

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 11:11:44 pm »
Hmmm.... Not sure about Windows Defender. My next question then would be if you are using a folder that is synced through some service like Google Drive or OneDrive. Sometimes that can cause issues. If that isn't the case then I'd say you might need to redownload and extract to the folder and overwrite anything it shows as a conflict.
Shuwatch!

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 11:37:16 pm »
My question is this on:  Is QB64 installed in it's own folder on your drive?

Some system places are notoriously bad for hogging folder permissions (C:\Program Files\ and C:\Program Files (x85)\ are two of the worst, off the top of my head.) Instead of placing QB64 in one of those folders, install it to a unique folder of its own, like C:\QB64, or C:\Programming\QB64.   Avoid installing in those system protected places at all costs.  ;)
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 11:38:12 pm »
PC is an IBM clone running an Intel I5-4590 @ 3.3 gHz
8 gb RAM
2 TB disk
Win 10 64 bit

What do I do to get QB64 1.4 to run?

I granted full security control to the QB64 folders.

I tried to run QB64.exe
All I get is a screen that looks like a DOS window with the message
"press any key to continue"

A press of any key closed the window and nothing further happens.

What is it, that I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks

Say is this what you were looking at?

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

If so, you just need to type in a program.
Print "Hello World"

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 11:41:17 pm »
@bplus Sometimes you see a console screen instead of the IDE with the "Press any key to continue". I believe that is the issue he is having. I don't think he is compiling empty source. I've had this problem myself occasionally.
Shuwatch!

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 11:54:45 pm »
@bplus Sometimes you see a console screen instead of the IDE

When? I don't think I've ever seen anything other than "the screen that looks like an old DOS window" when running QB64 from windows.

Steve is right, Windows is picky about where you put your stuff, you don't own the hard drive anymore! I extract QB64 files right in the Downloads Folder and make a shortcut to it and put that on my Desktop.

When I get tired of navigating to my QB64 files on my Desktop, I copy the QB64 Folder to it with Version at start of name and make another shortcut to that and pin it onto task bar. It becomes my main QB64 workhorse.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 12:03:37 am by bplus »

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 11:58:07 pm »
When? I don't think I've ever seen anything other than "the screen that looks like an old DOS window" when running QB64 from windows.

@bplus

I don't know an exact time or scenario but it occasionally happens to me. I'll go to launch QB64 and instead of the IDE I get a console window. I close it out and try again and then it's fine. If you haven't seen it yet it could be a difference of hard drive or OS build version. It could be any number of things.
Shuwatch!

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 12:06:17 am »
@bplus

I don't know an exact time or scenario but it occasionally happens to me. I'll go to launch QB64 and instead of the IDE I get a console window. I close it out and try again and then it's fine. If you haven't seen it yet it could be a difference of hard drive or OS build version. It could be any number of things.

Weird, but do you also see "press any key to continue" when this happens?

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 12:15:21 am »
Weird, but do you also see "press any key to continue" when this happens?

If you download QB64 from the repo, build it, and run it the first time, it has a DOS window like you're talking about bplus.  Closing that window (the installation window) closes the version of QB64 that it popped up as well, but the only thing you have to do then is just click the QB64 icon like usual and start the program on its own.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 12:17:19 am »
If you download QB64 from the repo, build it, and run it the first time, it has a DOS window like you're talking about bplus.  Closing that window (the installation window) closes the version of QB64 that it popped up as well, but the only thing you have to do then is just click the QB64 icon like usual and start the program on its own.

I see it happen occasionally without it being "first time" runs. It happens sporadically with no real way to tie it to a specific cause, in my case. This isn't from an installation. This is me double-clicking the shortcut or exe and then not being presented with the IDE but instead a console window saying "Press any key to continue" which then closes the qb64.exe entirely.
Shuwatch!

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 12:20:29 am »
double-click? got to try that :)

Nothing different.

When he says "old DOS window" does he mean the command line prompt?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 12:23:54 am by bplus »

Offline MilwJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 06:53:54 pm »
Thanks to all for your replies.

First, I put it in Program Files x86 when unpacking the zip file.

I can't be sure that QB64 was installed; because I planned to uninstall; but can find no sign of it to perform a Windows Uninstall.

However, I did find 4 entries in the registry that referenced qb64. Should I delete these before attempting to reinstall?

It appears that I have two ways to get qb64 into its own directory,
          Perform a Windows Move and move everything out from under Program files to its own directory - - -
          OR delete everything and reinstall from the extracted zip file.
          What procedure does the group recommend?

Also, is there a link to the install procedure?  I found a readme file in the zip; but the readme had little guidance.

What kind of install sequence can I expect?

Thanks again to all.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 07:00:44 pm »
Hello. QB64 does not add any registry settings. What you have found may relate to files you recently loaded - a Windows setting, not QB64's.

You should always unpack the full contents of the QB64 package you will download from https://github.com/QB64Team/qb64/releases/latest into a folder to which you have full write privileges. "Program Files" is a system folder and QB64 won't work properly if unpacked there.

Since QB64 is a portable package, there is no installation. You simply unpack the whole contents of the package to a folder of your choice and run qb64.exe.

So delete the folder you have in Program Files and unpack the zip to your Desktop or to your Documents folder - any place where Windows won't bother you for creating files.

Then, in Windows Defender, add two exclusions: tell it not to live scan your QB64 folder and also whitelist the qb64.exe process.

Running qb64.exe should work as expected after these steps.