Author Topic: Blackjack  (Read 48331 times)

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
Re: Blackjack
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2020, 01:01:44 am »
New Splash? looks a little better when plugged in and blue neon running.

new splash.PNG
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:53:49 am by bplus »

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2020, 08:32:22 am »
Hmm... Blue you say?...

If you want the wall in your original image, send it, and I will swap it over...

Just in case you would like a kind of animation... I have also made a 'blink' image.

Perhaps you can create the 'blink' by alternating between images a few times before prompting for a name?

Splash2.png
* Splash2.png (Filesize: 1.5 MB, Dimensions: 1024x768, Views: 260)
Splash2blink.png
* Splash2blink.png (Filesize: 1.53 MB, Dimensions: 1024x768, Views: 271)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 09:10:13 am by johnno56 »
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2020, 12:14:15 pm »
Hey Johnno

You found the source of the neon2.ttf which is same link as your font. Speaking of that source for fonts I tried FreeSansBold.ttf, I used to replace my Arial.ttf but all the letters seem to have the tops cut into a tiny bit, I do like the thicker lettering. I think Arial has a Bold too, I will try.

I like in your screen shot how yours glows, I did neon pulsing by finding interior points (The A's need 3 for PAINT) and used PAINT of different colors while looping through the sign letter by letter so the whole thing feels electric but I don't have glow, maybe yours is easier but 2+ images would be huge MB of image files.

I found my brick wall at unsplash.com, I think the credit goes like this:
Thanks to Donnie Rosie @drosie for sharing their work @unsplash.com and I will ref a direct link:
https://unsplash.com/photos/taO2fC7sxDU 
We might go further and describe how we used the image, this satisfies requirements of many types of Open License I think.

Johnno try downloading from there and see if you get the same directions for using as I. I had to shade down the wall with various black transparencies to make it look like night time. The screenshot I show is when the pulsing stops to get the Player name. Ha the image is certainly large enough, as I recall 3 sizes are offered I picked the one closest to our screen of 1024 x 740.

I guess for best comparison we need to see splash screens in action. I will clean up my code a little and show you.

Update: oh I can make it glow too (without extra images to load) I will try, also add the the 50 X's bet for special Blackjack.

I wonder if you could neon the logo of cards?

I do want to try a blank transparent button please.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 12:24:51 pm by bplus »

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2020, 09:07:01 pm »
I usually get most of the fonts I use from free or open source sites...  I had to look for a font (Sans) that is similar to my system's 'San' font. I can try to find it, but there are squillions of fonts... well... maybe not 'squillions' but there's a lot of them... lol  I will send it as soon as I ca. Let me know how you go with arial bold?

Ah yes, The Glow. Gimp has the ability to create 'Drop Shadows' of any colour and radius (to a point... lol) that can be applied to any object on the layer. Enhancing the glow is done by simply duplicating the layer... The blinking was an 'after thought' as I was finishing the first image... I figured that perhaps a little animation might be nice.

I visited the linked site... Nice walls... At the bottom of the page it states, "Do what you want." (in reference to image usage. But, I think you are correct in giving them a mention, after all they are creators of the images. It's only fair. I was not given a choice of sizes. The image was quite large, 6000x4000. I can scale to 1024x768 by scaling the image until the 'Y' dimension is 768. The 'X' will by greater than 1024 but can be cropped.

Neon the 'logo', the one on the table? I am surprised that you phrased your question, "I wonder IF you could..."... lol  Pick a colour and it will be done. Send the RGB() of the colour you want. That way there will be no 'guessing' on my part... lol

A 'blank' transparent button? No problem.

button-blank.png
* button-blank.png (Filesize: 0.43 KB, Dimensions: 210x70, Views: 173)

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2020, 09:42:53 pm »
Hi @johnno56

Here is the brickwall image 1920 x 1280, 700 KB I got:

To give night look you will likely layer over with transparent Blacks. Cropping better than scaling to preserve the detail of image. It is 1024 x 740 max screen dimensions for me! (not 768)

Give Neon Logo same colors as Lettering. We are just going for a clone of first splash screen we had, unless you got some idea for better? like a door fading into view after we get the Player's name :-))

So how many files does it take to create the effect you have for splash screen?
donnie-rosie-taO2fC7sxDU-unsplash.jpg
* donnie-rosie-taO2fC7sxDU-unsplash.jpg (Filesize: 700.92 KB, Dimensions: 1920x1280, Views: 193)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 09:48:56 pm by bplus »

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2020, 11:55:14 pm »
Ok. Got the wall file. '740'? Unusual max size... Laptop? Not a problem '740' it is...

The 'night' look. Your method produces the same result as mine. You 'overlay' transparent 'black' to the image. I make the wall partially transparent and place it on top of the 'black' layer. How many files does it take? Only one. The effects are layered either upon or beneath the image then all layers are 'merged' into one layer. That final layer becomes the 'new' image.

"Give Neon Logo same colors as Lettering. We are just going for a clone of first splash screen we had, unless you got some idea for better? like a door fading into view after we get the Player's name :-))
".... This line left me a little confused... mind you, it's not hard to do... lol  "first splash"? I have made a lot of splash screen recently. I'm not sure which one you mean... I'm not sure what you mean by, "door fading into view"....  Isn't it funny that we both know English, but based on where we were raised, our understanding of it can be as dissimilar as cheese is from chalk... My apologies for my lack of understanding...

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2020, 01:16:58 am »
".... This line left me a little confused... mind you, it's not hard to do... lol  "first splash"? I have made a lot of splash screen recently. I'm not sure which one you mean... I'm not sure what you mean by, "door fading into view"....  Isn't it funny that we both know English, but based on where we were raised, our understanding of it can be as dissimilar as cheese is from chalk... My apologies for my lack of understanding...

Well it wasn't your first splash screen or was it? you did call it splash1.png, reply #50
https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=1406.msg119254#msg119254

LOL my little door idea fading into view when the Player enters es name was just a little fantasy psuedo code, just playing around don't worry about it :)

Man have I got an update almost ready! Allot of things cleaned up.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2020, 01:27:11 am »
Complete overhaul all new image files since last update, I think. It works the same except the bank is now for memory storage between games only. A cleaner set of graphics:

B+J Blackjack v2020-06-19A.PNG

Update: OK download is tested and everything is working fine on my system, except the mouse seems to need to be clicked more carefully ie less movement across screen while mouse button is down..

Update: Check Best Answer for latest zip package of Blackjack Game

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:12:15 pm by bplus »

Offline Ashish

• Forum Resident
  • Never Give Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2020, 01:54:04 am »
Nice graphics! Good interaction.
BTW, I had never played cards and never understood it. I just know some basic info about it, so that I can use them
in solving probability problems. :)
if (Me.success) {Me.improve()} else {Me.tryAgain()}

My Projects - https://github.com/AshishKingdom?tab=repositories
OpenGL tutorials - https://ashishkingdom.github.io/OpenGL-Tutorials

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2020, 02:31:57 am »
Nice graphics! Good interaction.
BTW, I had never played cards and never understood it. I just know some basic info about it, so that I can use them
in solving probability problems. :)

Thanks, absolutely no need to hurry to learn cards, what you are learning now is way better!

Cards will still be around when you're ready. :)

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2020, 08:11:01 am »
Here is the slash screen using your wall (1024x740).  Neon sign rebuilt from scratch...
If you need any more changes just let me know....

I need more coffee...

newSpash.png
* newSpash.png (Filesize: 1.1 MB, Dimensions: 1024x740, Views: 190)

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2020, 08:15:43 am »
Dang, that looks cool
Shuwatch!

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2020, 11:44:45 am »
Dang, that looks cool

+1 Very nice work! I guess the detail works better with transparent image on black layer(s) if I got it correctly.

@johnno56 we can replace the neon2.ttf and drop code for that.
Did you say you could make it flash a little? Even if not, this is the clone for splash!

Oh yes! even the Ace is Red! And what luck the splash of red paint on the brick wall!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:50:00 am by bplus »

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2020, 07:13:35 pm »
Here is the Game package updated with Johnno's newSplash.png

@johnno56 What's next on our To Do List?

I know we need a better method for setting different bets each round, a slider bar I think. I will get on that.

Audio would be nice, hint, hint ;)

I will brew up a fresh pot :)

See Best Answer for latest B+J Blackjack version.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 11:40:37 pm by bplus »

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2020, 07:28:39 pm »
Oh dang! I thought I was looking at an Ace of Hearts not Spades. I saw red, am seeing pinkish red... :P

I guess it's just a case of wishful seeing. Ha! maybe I will be only one to notice. :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:44:57 pm by bplus »