Author Topic: Blackjack  (Read 31525 times)

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
Re: Blackjack
« Reply #180 on: July 03, 2020, 08:40:08 pm »
Obviously soundbible worked for me... lol

I ran the new version... Heard a 'yahoo'... while I was losing... lol

Speaking of losing... I noticed a slight speech problem with, "To bad you lose"... "you" sounds like it is slightly off. Not sure how better to explain it.

I experimented and found a better way of pronouncing 'you'. I used the word 'Ewe' in stead. Compare them and let me know what Ewe think. (Sorry. Couldn't resist... lol)

Oh. My second 'test' of the new version... Two blackjacks in a row followed by a twenty... Made a bucket load of money... Four hands later and it was all gone... *sigh*
* too_bad.ogg (Filesize: 17.45 KB, Downloads: 154)
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 03, 2020, 08:46:02 pm »
Thanks Johnno, I will try out the new sound.

You have a 1 in 169 chance of getting the super Jackpot Blackjack so hang in there. :)
That's sort of like 50 free games.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 04, 2020, 11:03:21 am »
Yeah OK the too_bad.ogg sounds less American 😂 and might be easier to understand.

It is easy to swap the two files, File Explorer had no problems with that.

Man! @johnno56 you are picking very fine points, good that you can find something and offer a change.

It just occurred to me talking to TempodiBasic about Italian card games that no one has mentioned the Split option in Blackjack!?! Of course it'd be a bit of a mod, as would multiple players ie bots.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 04, 2020, 05:26:50 pm »
OK, I have the 2nd final cut ready with an EXEICON and an improved ICON image and Johnno's you changed to ewe ;-))

This time I remembered to update the bas source with the version number:

Update: The Best Answer contains an updated version with more or better comments. The code has not been changed since the post of July 4th version.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 12:14:50 am by bplus »

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 04, 2020, 07:11:58 pm »
Nicely done.

Oh. Tested this version; My first Blackjack filled the screen with chip stacks and added $52,000 to my score!! So, I quit the game, made a copy of the 'memory bank' as proof... Cool... Woo Hoo!

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 04, 2020, 10:46:29 pm »
That must be THE keeper version then!

I've already put a Shortcut on my desktop for something to play while listening to tunes. Love the EXEICON.

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 04, 2020, 10:48:19 pm »
Cool...

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 05, 2020, 03:08:26 pm »
SOMETHING VERY ODD HAS HAPPENED TO VERY FIRST POST. SUPPOSEDLY MY BEST BJ MOD TO THAT POINT DOESN'T EVEN WORK IN QB64 1.4 ? WHAT HAPPENED?

STAY TUNED...

PS I AM HOPING TO TRY SOME SIMPLE CODE TO RUN AI EXPERIMENTS. LAST NIGHT I CONFESS GETTING BORED AS HELL PLAYING, GIVING UP ON ANY 'FEEL' FOR MAGIC MOMENT MY LUCK WILL CHANGE AND I WANT TO TRY DIFFERENT AI STRATEGIES, THERE IS THE BUILT-IN ENCOURAGEMENT OF 50 X'S BET JACKPOT BUT THAT IS NOT ENOUGH INCENTIVE TO KEEP PLAYING. THINKING I HAVE A LONG TERM WINNING STRATEGY IS!

WE ARE SHUFFLING DECK BEFORE EACH ROUND SO CARD COUNTING IS NOT A MAJOR FACTOR IN PLAY, I THINK...

Update: a very simple fix but odd that it should go wrong between QB64 versions?
I am updating SCREEN 0 version to play like it's Big Brother without full audio and graphics for AI tests.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 04:58:16 pm by bplus »

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 05, 2020, 07:06:46 pm »
I am a little confused. I know... only a 'little'..... lol

QBv1.3 was either released on 19th Jan 2019 or 8th Apr 2019 (please correct me if I am in error). The first BJ posting, on this forum, was 7th June 2019.

QBv1.4 was released on 13th Feb 2020.

Assumption #1. BJ was developed originally using 1.3 and later updated to 1.4
Assumption #2. BJ has always been developed with 1.3
Assumption #3. BJ has always been developed using 1.4

If either assumptions #1 or #2 are true then I would assume that the problem would be 'version' related. But that argument may not hold as the current problem would have presented itself earlier.

If assumption #3 is true then the problem is, more than likely, not version related.

I have to conclude that assumption #1 is correct as your opening statement says, "DOESN'T EVEN WORK IN QB64 1.4"

To be able to assist, assuming that I can, I would need a few more details of the issue apart from, "something odd'... lol
If you can describe the problem and how it is presenting itself, I may be able to see if that problem exists within the Linux version of 1.4

Oh. Quick question. I updated to 1.4 a while ago... I'm not sure if I installed the development version or not. How can I tell? Are you using the 'normal' or 'dev' version? Ok. My math abilities are shot.... I know... That was two questions... lol

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #189 on: July 05, 2020, 07:17:09 pm »
What doesn't work in the latest version?

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2020, 07:29:34 pm »
What doesn't work in the latest version?

Well this afternoon I was testing the old code and when I tried keypress h to hit it wasn't.
Then I downloaded the code from forum to see if it were any better, it wasn't.

But tonight I try the same thing again before this reply, and all is OK.

Now I wonder if I had caps lock on.  :P

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #191 on: July 05, 2020, 07:36:58 pm »
Oh 🤣

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 05, 2020, 07:48:16 pm »
I will hardly tell anyone...

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 05, 2020, 08:02:49 pm »
Oh @johnno56  I missed your post applying logic to what might have happened.

I developed the old code in QB64 v1.3 last year July, and never looked at it again until today using QB64. (Our version of this June and July started from a later version with card images.) It wasn't working so the first thing I ask myself is what is different. The QB64 version number was the first thought that came to mind.

I hardly ever type with caps lock on unless I am screwing around effected by Pete's comment about the men in caps.
So of course, this whole thing is Pete's fault. 😜

Oh. Quick question. I updated to 1.4 a while ago... I'm not sure if I installed the development version or not. How can I tell? Are you using the 'normal' or 'dev' version? Ok. My math abilities are shot.... I know... That was two questions... lol

If you have the approved and tested QB64 version it will say "Stable Release" in the "About" Menu Item under "Help" in the IDE.  I am using Stable Release.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 08:29:47 pm by bplus »

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 05, 2020, 08:31:37 pm »
1.4 'stable' it is... Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 08:35:35 pm by johnno56 »