Author Topic: Blackjack  (Read 31522 times)

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
Re: Blackjack
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2020, 11:27:18 am »
Hi @johnno56

Just played the new welcome, hate to be picky but I was hoping for a little play on the word Enter, "Please type in your name and enter" uses enter double meaning, as we need enter key to signal end of input and enter as in enter our fake building ;-))

LOL the quips about wallet!

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2020, 06:16:52 pm »
Done!
* welcome.ogg (Filesize: 33.74 KB, Downloads: 126)
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2020, 11:30:32 pm »
OK here is an update with most of the sound files roughed in and fixes and changes:

see Best Answer for latest Blackjack version.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:40:59 am by bplus »

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2020, 01:18:06 am »
Hey! The dealer starts with almost $73k... lol

I think we need more 'numbers'. One time I stayed and the dealer hit on 16. Dealt itself a picture card but 'said' 16. I will whip up numbers 22 to 31 and post them.

Other than that, a really good game. Nicely done!

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2020, 01:59:19 am »
22 to 30 instead. Highly doubt that 31 would be needed... lol

* 22-30.zip (Filesize: 88.65 KB, Downloads: 145)

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2020, 12:00:34 pm »
Dealer is supposed to say, "Busted" or equivalent when ever either player goes over 21. I have checked that both get "busted" speech for going over 21.

I really like the audio for dealer and it is way clearer than I had expected (which is why I stuck in there with the .ogg files).

I have more to add and refinements to make. Like the option of setting the bet at the beginning, the coalescing text is on the chopping block as I was anticipating an older model computer voice. Working out the timing with sound may not be worth the trouble because numbers are so short there is no time now to see them before they disappear.

I like the fixed fINPUT now, you can see the brick wall behind the lettering, and will be reusable in other apps.

Update: oh maybe the last total is still showing when busted comes up, I will check that. I am looking at one place for errors, you might still be looking at where totals are showing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:17:12 pm by bplus »

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2020, 02:39:46 pm »
Just had an idea to use that chip stack Johnno setup awhile back.

Move the chips image into "Bet area" at right bottom corner when you hear the sound of chips.

Clear that image (or double it) after hand accounting and then have it cleared when time to place new bet.

That would give more sense to the sound of chips chinging.

I was comparing our version to Scratch Jack when I had the idea. BTW I think we are doing pretty good in comparison.

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2020, 04:13:19 pm »
Game is playing good.  I like the new enhancements.  I'm still loosing bad however....

Just a suggestion here from a user... if the project download size is ever a consideration, then I'd suggest lowering the ogg file quailty points a little bit more in Audacity when exporting some of those ogg files.  It can decrease file sizes a whole lot without hurting the sound quality very much.  Especially on the ambience ogg - with that one you could shave off nearly 800k before the average listener would notice anything different.  Also, maybe it would be interesting to put in a random sound assigned with a TIMER - like every 3 minutes a random noise or comment, perhaps laugh in the far left distance, or some jackpot sound on the far right, etc.  That could kind of mask the repetition of the ambience sound looping.

Good work on the game!

- Dav

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2020, 07:01:44 pm »
Thanks @Dav  I did try to use the mono ambiance @700 KB but it had a loud annoying laugh at regular intervals.

Maybe @johnno56 can give us some random ambiance to toss in over regular ambiance, maybe something from Monty Python's flying circus (just joking, I think).

I am tired of losing too and have an idea to reward fans of this particular game ;-)

Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 07:27:17 pm by bplus »

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2020, 08:40:58 pm »
I have used the free chips from opengameart.org to create individual chips; Also two sets of two scattered stacks (first bet and DD). Included the individual chips in case you were wanting to produce random stacks.

* chips.zip (Filesize: 104.87 KB, Downloads: 120)

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2020, 02:34:58 am »
A little break in luck for longtime players, we are moving chips around now!

Update: See Best Answer for latest version of Blackjack

« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 05:13:24 pm by bplus »

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2020, 06:32:52 am »
Cool chip animation! Nice touch.

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2020, 06:45:26 am »
Hmm... I noticed that you are using a cropped version of the reflected chips image... and I 'did' notice the reflection under the chips... lol
I will recreate then, without the reflection, then post them... It will take me a little while... The stack has to me 'created'... lol

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2020, 07:09:57 am »
Ok. The reflection has been removed and I have slightly brightened the colour.
chips.png
* chips.png (Filesize: 44.8 KB, Dimensions: 443x385, Views: 142)

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2020, 07:29:32 am »
Found another graphics anomaly. Please swap your cards.png for the attached.

Before you do. Restart the game and take a close look at the cards being displayed on the screen. Particularly look closely at the 'black' cards. All the club and spade symbols, as well as any black in the 'picture' cards. Can you see the table cloth pattern?

Reason: All the cards have a 2 to 4 pixel black border. I am going to assume that, qb64 like other programs, assumes that the top left pixel of the image, unless specified, will interpret 'that' pixel, as a consequence all other pixels of the same colour, as the 'transparent' colour.

Most images that require a 'transparent' colour usually choose magenta. In our case... It's 'black'.

I have attached the same card-set but have used are darkish grey as transparent. Ran it on my machine and all the black cards are indeed black. Mind you, with my eyesight, I had to use a magnifying glass... lol
cards.png
* cards.png (Filesize: 107.74 KB, Dimensions: 1008x384, Views: 160)