Author Topic: Reading com ports??  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Mad Axeman

• View Profile
    • My web site - Harrythetrout
Reading com ports??
« on: January 09, 2019, 06:06:07 pm »
Ho Folks

New to the site but used to write a lot of stuff years ago in QB7.1 back in the days of BBS's. Wrote quite a few addons for various BBS software. Forgotten most of what I did back then and these days mainly use PHP. Anyway, I need to write a very small prog to read data from a com port and output to a file for uploading to a PHP script. I was thinking of learning a bit of Python but thought, well, I used to be pretty good with basic, why not find one that runs under windows(spit!). How good is QB64 at handling com port data input or am I wasting my time? What's it like for creating a GUI?? Not really needed but if it will do it a nice windows interface would be a bonus.
Oh look - a sig file :-)

FellippeHeitor

Re: Reading com ports??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 06:24:44 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum.

There are some details on how to do it and even some sample code you can tweak to your needs at http://www.qb64.org/wiki/OPEN_COM

It may require some trial and error of it doesn't work right off the bat.

If it suits your needs, you can wrap it into a GUI using InForm: www.qb64.org/inform

Offline Mad Axeman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 08:32:59 am »
Hi

I'll take a look at the sample and see how I get on. It's been a while since I used basic so I'm a bit rusty but it's like riding a bike, you never forget - I hope!

Offline Mad Axeman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 02:24:15 pm »
Well, I've taken a look at the sample and played around with it. Seems good so far. I've got to admit I didn't realise how much basic I had forgotten. I keep falling back into PHP mode even with simple things like strings, $string instead of string$ Oh well, it'll come back to me - I hope!

Offline Mad Axeman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 12:32:37 pm »
Well, I'm starting to get the hang of the basics of basic again. I've managed to do what I set out to do plus a bit more. So, if any of you have a Seaward Supernova PAT tester and you want to download the data I've got a prog to do it :-)