Author Topic: Clearing up how search shortcuts work in the IDE  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
Clearing up how search shortcuts work in the IDE
« on: January 05, 2019, 10:10:00 am »
Just playing with 64bit QB64 and using the "Search" in a large program of mine, noticed the "F3 + Shift", which should be searching forward to the "next find" actually is going backwards. If I "Esc + F3" I will go forward in the next find. Using the mouse for "next find" works perfectly, so this in not a big deal but I'm wondering if F3+Shift may just be a quirk of the Logitech keyboard I'm using?

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
Re: Clearing up how search shortcuts work in the IDE
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 10:18:00 am »
Just playing with 64bit QB64 and using the "Search" in a large program of mine, noticed the "F3 + Shift", which should be searching forward to the "next find" actually is going backwards. If I "Esc + F3" I will go forward in the next find. Using the mouse for "next find" works perfectly, so this in not a big deal but I'm wondering if F3+Shift may just be a quirk of the Logitech keyboard I'm using?

Isn’t F3, by itself, the “next find forward” shortcut?

Shift-F3 is “find previous” shortcut.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 11:00:59 am »
Shift + F3 is repeat last find according to menu and it does go backwards.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 11:02:21 am »
F3 to repeat last find. Shift+F3 to go backwards. Ctrl+F3 to launch search dialog (if text is selected, dialog is pre-filled).

I’ll fix the menu.

Edit: Not fixing it, ain’t broken.

Regular shortcuts in menus don’t have parenthesis. Shift is in parenthesis to indicate it’s optional. F3 to repeat last find forwards, shift+f3 to repeat backwards.

The wiki explains it exactly like that too: http://www.qb64.org/wiki/IDE
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 11:06:20 am by FellippeHeitor »

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 11:19:23 am »
Thanks that does clear it up for me, now I can search forward! :)

(except I can't just hit the F3 key because my keyboard has two uses for those keys)

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 12:01:49 pm »
That's a whole other issue.

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 01:44:49 pm »
You know it does make complete sense that F3 on it's own would go forward and Shift F3 go backward. And if you do those key strokes qb64 does exactly that. I guess my confusion is with the mouse and I have been interpreting "Repeat the Last Find", as an instruction to "do it again for the next incidence of the same search". The mouse clicked on "Repeat the Last Find" does go forward. So seems, both 32 and 64 version are working on premise that if i use the mouse to click on "Repeat the Last Find" it will go forward as if it was a straight forward F3 key stroke. It's amazing, I always thought the "Repeat the Last Find" meant something else. Live and Learn. Thanks for addressing this for me.

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 02:14:59 pm »
In the 64 version of the Search shortcuts is "Enable quick navigation (back arrow). How/when would this feature work?

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 03:24:06 pm »
Not exclusive to the 64bit version, the quick navigation feature has been around for a while and what's new now is the ability to disable it via that option you've found.

It refers to the back arrow that shows up after you navigate to a different point of your code:
 [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

It'll show up when you:
  • Hit F2 and select a different sub/function
  • Right click a sub/function name in your code and choose "Go to SUB/FUNCTION (name)"
  • Right click a label name in your code and choose "Go to label (name)"
  • Use the bookmark features in the search menu or via keyboard shortcuts

The back arrow is supposed to work like a browser, allowing you to go back to the spots in your code where you were before a jump to another section. When you hover it you'll see what line is next in the navigation history:
 [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 03:29:55 pm »
Not exclusive to the 64bit version

BTW, nothing is exclusive to the 64bit version regarding the IDE. Both versions are compiled from the exact same code.

It's also wise to remind everyone that the 64bit version currently available is the Development build, which means there may still be errors.

This is where we implement new features and it's the version we ask people to help us beta test so bugs can be squashed before it'll become the next stable version (probably version 1.3).

You can read more about what is new in the dev build from the stable version in this thread: https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=304.msg2554#msg2554