Author Topic: QB64x64 (12-22-2018)  (Read 11933 times)

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
Re: QB64x64 (12-22-2018)
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2018, 10:19:38 am »
Steve, thanks for the clarifications.  Would I be correct in assuming that I should now be using QB64x64 (12-22-2018) instead of GL1.2(32-bit original release)?  I never use the daily builds.

If you don’t need your program to run on 32-bit machines, I’d use the 64-bit compiler.  Generally, it’s the only compiler which I normally use for my personal needs.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 11:02:14 am »
Steve, again problems with download of 7z file. I think it originates with browser (Opera) and your link from here but Windows is showing very new kind of Dialog window I've never seen before, maybe buggy or maybe extraction isn't working correctly?

Was compressed in Bzip instead of lhza2 (whatever the 2 exact abbreviations are, I didn't bother to go recheck)...   Try this version: it’s zipped in the other format — https://www.dropbox.com/s/56a267uav7cub9d/QB64x64%20%2812-22-2018%29.7z?dl=1

Not an extraction problem:

Same problem again with this link and compression. So I tried MS Edge browser and again the file gets 100% downloaded but when I go to close browser, it is still checking with Antimalware. This time I let it run, and run, and run, kicking on fan and using 50% CPU. What seems like 15 minutes later, I can finally close the browser without a file still "downloading" message. This time the 7z file deleted normally after I extracted the contents. So I guess my problem was the massive amount of files that were still being checked before Windows was done with download.

OK onto checking old files and seeing how they do with new version.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2018, 11:46:29 am »
I never use the daily builds.

Steve's package is based on the dev build. You do now.

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2018, 12:05:20 pm »
I never use the daily builds.

Steve's package is based on the dev build. You do now.

Yep!  I did assume that, on this occasion.  (If it ever has problems then I'd just revert to 1.200, but it's looking good).

Offline Bert22306

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2018, 01:51:17 pm »
Not an extraction problem:

Same problem again with this link and compression. So I tried MS Edge browser and again the file gets 100% downloaded but when I go to close browser, it is still checking with Antimalware. This time I let it run, and run, and run, kicking on fan and using 50% CPU. What seems like 15 minutes later, I can finally close the browser without a file still "downloading" message. This time the 7z file deleted normally after I extracted the contents. So I guess my problem was the massive amount of files that were still being checked before Windows was done with download.

OK onto checking old files and seeing how they do with new version.

Ditto. Assuming you are using Defender antivirus/antimalware, this long delay, for scanning after the download is complete, started happening maybe 2 months ago, or so (don't remember exactly). Before that, the 7zip file downloaded in no time.

When using an enterprise version of McAfee, instead, that super long delay is at the beginning of the download. Download speed is initially very slow, predicting 12+ hour download time, and then finally, after maybe 10 minutes, takes off and finishes in maybe a minute.

There's something in the qb64 7zip file that really gives the latest virus software a run for its money.

Offline xra7en

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2018, 05:54:46 am »
I am getting random compile "flukes",  nothing consistent to duplicate the error.

EXAMPLE
D:/QBASIC 64/internal/c/c_compiler/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/8.1.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: reopening D:\QBASIC 64\projects\testprj\testprj.exe: Permission denied

D:/QBASIC 64/internal/c/c_compiler/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/8.1.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: final link failed: Permission denied
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

A first you would think there is an instance of testprj.exe already running, but not true.

Problem: random compile errors
Fix: reopen the file, saving before you do and re-run it. Works ever time.

more of a nuisance, as I do not loose any code during the process

I just like re-writing old DOS book games into modern QB64 code - weird hobby, I know!

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2018, 05:57:23 am »
Try running as admin; that looks like a system permission problem.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Cobalt

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • At 60 I become highly radioactive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2018, 12:31:43 pm »
for some reason it blocked every file when I unzipped it, so even running Admin doesn't cut it. thought I had that turned off. need to find how to turn that back off, does it every so often, caught me off guard cause it hasn't been doing it when I download the builds from .ORG. if it wasn't that there is over 8k files to individually have to turn off it wouldn't be a problem.
Granted after becoming radioactive I only have a half-life!

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2018, 12:54:32 pm »
for some reason it blocked every file when I unzipped it, so even running Admin doesn't cut it. thought I had that turned off. need to find how to turn that back off, does it every so often, caught me off guard cause it hasn't been doing it when I download the builds from .ORG. if it wasn't that there is over 8k files to individually have to turn off it wouldn't be a problem.

Antivirus blocked the whole 7z extraction?  What antivirus are you using?  I don’t think I’ve ever had TXT and config files ever blocked before.  Something seems really off, but it isn’t anything QB64 related, I don’t think.

Offline xra7en

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2018, 02:43:04 pm »
Try running as admin; that looks like a system permission problem.

will try that next.. have not had an issue since this morning... I am always on admin mode - (not a fan of the standard user mode ) :-)
However will try the rt-click admin tip
I just like re-writing old DOS book games into modern QB64 code - weird hobby, I know!

Offline xra7en

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2018, 02:44:54 pm »

Antivirus blocked the whole 7z extraction?  What antivirus are you using?  I don’t think I’ve ever had TXT and config files ever blocked before.  Something seems really off, but it isn’t anything QB64 related, I don’t think.

If it helps for research (?), I don't use AV's, so any error I produce in post, is raw. Just not sure why that denied error is random. I compile ever time I test run.

Offline Cobalt

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • At 60 I become highly radioactive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2018, 01:22:40 am »

no not AV blocked, windows blocked. when I goto properties on a file there is a little button that says UNBLOCK and some text beside it saying to the effect "windows has blocked this program because it didn't originate on this computer blah blah"
yeah not QB64 at fault here, its a vista thing I guess. had issues with it before but could have sworn I disabled it, must have been an update that re-enabled it.
Granted after becoming radioactive I only have a half-life!

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2018, 06:53:49 am »
Steve, I've just done a comparison of an .exe file created with 32-bit and 64-bit QB64, and the 64-bit program uses about 3/5 of the CPU, as you said it should.  I have previously assumed that a 64-bit machine would run a 32-bit program with equal ease compared to a 64-bit program (just using less bits at any one time).  Oh, how litttle I know!

Offline Bert22306

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2018, 02:31:04 pm »
Given the downloading problems experienced by some, to download the 64-bit version (my work PC seems to block that dropbox URL completely), is there a reason why the Windows 64-bit version can't be made available in the same location as the 32-bit version? Is it a space issue?

Looks like Steve did some very useful upgrades, e.g. even going to the latest compiler, and debugging the problems that created, so maybe it's time to start migrating to the 64-bit version? I know some people still need the 32-bit version, but my sense is that most do not. And the speed differences seem to have become substantial, of late, at least with Intel CPUs. (My guess was, because of the BIOS fixes to mitigate Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:32:06 pm by Bert22306 »

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2018, 03:52:56 pm »
Given the downloading problems experienced by some, to download the 64-bit version (my work PC seems to block that dropbox URL completely), is there a reason why the Windows 64-bit version can't be made available in the same location as the 32-bit version? Is it a space issue?

Looks like Steve did some very useful upgrades, e.g. even going to the latest compiler, and debugging the problems that created, so maybe it's time to start migrating to the 64-bit version? I know some people still need the 32-bit version, but my sense is that most do not. And the speed differences seem to have become substantial, of late, at least with Intel CPUs. (My guess was, because of the BIOS fixes to mitigate Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.)

Thanks!

Personally, I’d like to see both packaged with QB64, with an Option in the Menu for “Compile 32-bit” and “Compile 64-bit”.  Check both, and you create both EXEs at once!