Author Topic: Minor GUI tweak/settings Suggestions #2  (Read 2689 times)

Offline stoneskipper

• View Profile
Minor GUI tweak/settings Suggestions #2
« on: September 26, 2018, 04:12:28 pm »
Small UI Ideas, Questions. I'm looking especially for feedback on the new Code Implementation in #4.

1) Highlight search/replace terms with eg., Red Background, and/or shift page to locate each search term instance in the vertical middle of the editor window ... (again, coupled with STAY at Undo, JUMP to Redo, center in Editor.)

2) Save-As window does not populate/show all current BAS file names in the work directory. Can these filenames be made visible? Plus, since the backup was saved, why not also save the original filename as the suggested Save-As filename? The user could opt to save under the original filename, or else create an alt version with eg., a "_(copy)" suffix.

3) Allow for assigning View and Window format handle variables, like _Newimage.

Eg.:  &V = VIEW (w.V3, w.V4)-(w.V5, w.V6): &W =  WINDOW (1, dLo)-(da, dHi)

====================

Random Questions //

1) I have never found the editor "Display\Row Height (pixels)" option to have any visible function, across many QB64 versions & multiple PCs ... Is this normal?

2) I can remember using "Print Using" somewhere for screen output, not just file. Is there an easy/equivalent Whole+Decimal monitor format method, which also rounds {_ceil, _round, etc} the last digit?
_____

3) Question: Was there a time when a leading "!" indicated logical NOT? Eg., IF !A THEN END .. I now see prefix "!" under print control options ... Just curious.

{4) CONST question answered - deleted.}
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:38:23 pm by stoneskipper »
~~~ ●

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
Re: Minor UI Tweaks #2
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 04:30:36 pm »
Not much time ATM, as it's family time here; so I'll just grab the last one first:

CONST is a simple code replacement routine for us, which makes code more readable, while giving the speed and memory usage of literal constant values.

For example:

CONST White = &HFFFFFFFF~&

Now, when we use this in a statement (PSET (X,Y), White), it's easy to read and comprehend, while QB64 directly translates this value to &HFFFFFFFF~&.

We type PSET (x, y), White; it's automatically processed as PSET (x, y), &HFFFFFFFF~&. 

Now, we could:

DIM SHARED White AS _UNSIGNED LONG
White = &HFFFFFFFF
PSET (x,y), White

The main difference here?  White is a VARIABLE and uses 4 unnecessary bytes of memory. 

A CONST does literal substitution of values; VARIABLES store values which use memory and have to be looked up to be used.

https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Marked as best answer by stoneskipper on October 15, 2018, 08:26:33 am

Offline stoneskipper

• View Profile
Re: Minor UI Tweaks #2
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 04:39:26 pm »
"CONST does literal substitution of values" -- ah.

That's actually the question I was sniffing around -- Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 11:26:19 am by stoneskipper »
~~~ ●

FellippeHeitor

Re: Minor GUI tweak/settings Suggestions #2
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 10:26:48 pm »
1) I have never found the editor "Display\Row Height (pixels)" option to have any visible function, across many QB64 versions & multiple PCs ... Is this normal?

That'll only make a difference if you are using a custom font (set immediately above that option).

3) Question: Was there a time when a leading "!" indicated logical NOT? Eg., IF !A THEN END .. I now see prefix "!" under print control options ... Just curious.

Not in BASIC. "!" is used to denote that a variable is of type SINGLE.