Author Topic: Poll ?  (Read 10692 times)

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • My small QB64 contribution
Poll ?
« on: September 21, 2018, 07:57:26 pm »
Hi all,

Does this BBS forum software allow to manage polls?

I'd like to ask and count who's using QB64 and/or InForm and/or vWATCH on :

- Linux
- OS/X
- Windows

Just to know if there is any interest to develop any stuff spending (wasting) time for any of these OSes.

TIA.
Fifi

Thank you Pete for the correction.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:29:36 am by Fifi »
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
Re: Pool ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 08:42:33 pm »
Not a "pool." You mean a poll. We used to have one, but we had to take it down, because Bill kept dancing on it. Talk about a way to drive traffic... away!!!

Pete :D

I use a slightly older GL version of QB64 on a Windows 7 64-bit system. I use the IDE more now than I used to. It's been steadily improved.

Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Pool ?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 05:58:21 am »
Hi Pete

Not a "pool." You mean a poll.

Sometimes, it's better to use Google Translation than to use my poor memory.

I don't practice English enough anymore since I moved back to France (2001).

Anyway, thanx for correcting me.

Cheers.
Fifi
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
Re: Poll ?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 06:13:24 am »
No problem. I struggle with English every day... and it's my native language. I took 1 semester of Spanish in high school, which made me appreciate not being god at English even more.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 12:42:57 pm »
Hi
I'm the third Looney Toon in this thread, but how many others are in this forum?

I use to use my Notebook (the last two are Toshiba, in fact I live in an urban area.. :-)  )which is born with windows 7 or 8.1 (I don't remember well) and now it runs as OS windows 10 64bits.
On this machine some time ago I have installed also Oracle WM Virtual Box for emulate Ubuntu system just to see if my code runs well also in Linux_Ubuntu universe but then I have learned that my code must be compiled in the specific OS using the relative QB64 compiler, instead I have wrongly imagined that a switch of QB64 compiler let me choose OS of destination of executable file. :-) I have so poor knowdledge about how different OSes can interact between them. This insane idea has been put into my mind from a old article that talked about cross-compiler to make game for some console like Sony Playstation and Nintendo consoles.
However I am not able to let to work QB64 in this virtual machine with Ubuntu OS. I think because I am not expert of Ubuntu and about linux Oses, so I am not able to give the right compiler or the setting of enviroment of OS to let compile QB64. But this is just a joke for me because I don't work as programmer.

Summarizing:
-> QB64x32 v1.2  20180228/86  in Windows 10 64bit  (in the future also in Ubuntu in WM emulation)
-> Inform is just great for developing GUI  event  driven
-> vWatch used time ago for testing, I think it will be useful in professional and/or large project
-> DavIDE used time ago for testing, but ASCII ide is more romantic and now it works good.

Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 01:41:33 pm »
It's Tunes, not Toon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes

Just poking some more fun, but I don't think back in the 1940's the word toon was thought of as short for cartoon but in this day and age it is, and Looney Toons, although incorrect, does a better job of describing the characters. The wiki article has it that the creator of the cartoon series, Walt Disney, got the idea for the Looney Tunes from a musical series called, "Silly Symphonies."

Here's a helpful QB64 app to keep this stuff straight...

Let "pool" = "poll"
Let "Toons" = "Tunes"
Let "Pete" off at the next bus stop, and drive this forum away like crazy.

PS: Maybe we can get Fell to have a look at an HTML version of QB64. I think he was a bit inspired when he had a look at that GoogleBASIC page.

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 04:27:45 pm »
Hi TempodiBasic,

Summarizing:
-> QB64x32 v1.2  20180228/86  in Windows 10 64bit  (in the future also in Ubuntu in WM emulation)
-> Inform is just great for developing GUI  event  driven
-> vWatch used time ago for testing, I think it will be useful in professional and/or large project
-> DavIDE used time ago for testing, but ASCII ide is more romantic and now it works good.

Please send me an e-mail (fnux.fl at gmail.com) with the user name, the password, the distribution (Mint is better for newcomers but Ubuntu will do the job too) and the language and keyboard settings (Italian, English, etc.) you'd like yo use on a VM  and I'll send yo a link on my web server to download a pre-installed complete Linux VM.

BYW, for the best performances you can use VMware Player (free) Vs Virtual Box, but the files (virtual disks) are compatibles.

Hope this may help.

Cheers.
Fifi

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 09:33:56 pm »
Hey did someone say pool? (I am using InForm on Windows 10 laptop, in case anyone was wondering.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:36:08 pm by bplus »

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 10:02:21 pm »
Yep, All my rowdy friends are comin' over tonight.

Bplus used to have a Looney Tunes avatar, too; but he changed it after we got into a debate over, well...  https://findingmontauk.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/marvin_skirt.jpg

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 11:26:10 pm »
Tunes vs Toons

That's the Mandela Effect at work there. Some people swear they remember Tunes, others Toons.

I'm in the Toons arena. I swear growing up it was Toons (I was a Looney addict). However, according to all literature it was always Tunes.
In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 01:22:29 am »
Yeah Pete you ruined Marvin for me. Thanks I did a little animation in SdlBasic called "Marvin has a Ball", funny! but it just sounds dirty to me now.

Does anyone know that Pete is from Toonstone? (There is a movie?) ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 01:26:07 am by bplus »

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 08:58:33 am »
This discussion is fascinating but highly illogical...
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 09:34:59 am »
Hey Johnno,

This might help: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/535154368200258115/

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 09:38:21 am by bplus »

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 10:12:55 am »
So Bplus it seems that we met some times ago in the deep space :-)

Hey TempodiBasic!

Poll: When we met, was I wearing a skirt or a Roman Gladiator outfit? (complete with paint brush atop of my helmet)