Author Topic: Why does this keep appearing in the IDE?  (Read 3952 times)

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
Why does this keep appearing in the IDE?
« on: September 13, 2018, 05:37:38 pm »
Why does that back arrow keep appearing in the IDE offering to take me back to previous lines? (see picture below). What is it, what triggers it, and how do I stop it from appearing? Every now and then when I want to click on file I hit it instead.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:39:25 pm by TerryRitchie »
In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
Re: Why does this keep appearing in the IDE?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 06:09:18 pm »
It's a "return to" arrow.    Say you're on line 110, then scroll and click on line 642.  Click the arrow, go back to line 110 when you finish your edit elsewhere.  No idea if it's optional, or not, ATM.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 06:28:48 pm »
Every jump to different sections of code makes the back arrow appear so you can go back to where you were before the jump.

The triggers are:
- Selecting a SUB/FUNCTION in the F2 dialog;
- Navigating through bookmarks with Alt+Up/Down arrows;
- Jumping to a line that had an error (either by clicking the link in the Status area or by using Ctrl+Shift+G).
- Jumping to a line (Search menu->Go to line or Ctrl+G)
- Jumping to a SUB/FUNCTION or a label by right-clicking a mention of it in the code and choosing->Go to...

There's no way to disable it in the current version, but it would be easy to add a toggle in the upcoming release.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:19:58 pm by FellippeHeitor »

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 07:33:06 pm »
Ok, gotcha. I pop around subs/functions a lot using F2 view so that's what's triggering it.

Yes, if possible an option to turn this off would be appreciated. I always try my hardest to use keyboard only shortcuts for everything when in the IDE but sometimes that pesky mouse use of mine gets in the way.

I'll make a change in code ... stare at it for a while ... decide that all is good in the world ... grab the mouse to click File-->Save.  But instead I send my code view somewhere else and all nirvana and concentration is broken in the land of good. :)

(I know, it's a minor annoyance. It's not a must have change by any means.)

Edit: One other quick change I would like is a change to the usage of CTRL-R to comment code. I use it a lot. It would really be great that if a section of code is already commented out, CTRL-R would remove the comments instead of adding a second set. Try as I might I just can't seem to remember CTRL-SHIFT-R and end up adding a second set of comments instead. CTRL-R would toggle comments on and off in other words.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:39:17 pm by TerryRitchie »

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:05:54 pm »
Edit: One other quick change I would like is a change to the usage of CTRL-R to comment code. I use it a lot. It would really be great that if a section of code is already commented out, CTRL-R would remove the comments instead of adding a second set. Try as I might I just can't seem to remember CTRL-SHIFT-R and end up adding a second set of comments instead. CTRL-R would toggle comments on and off in other words.

I think that instead of changing the current behavior of Ctrl+R and Ctrl+Shift+R we should have a new shortcut for a "Toggle comment" feature. I'm borrowing from Notepad++ here, which has add/remove and also toggle features. Their shortcut for toggling is Ctrl+Q.

Any thoughts/suggestions, Terry and everyone?

Edit: Maybe CTRL+T makes more sense.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:07:24 pm by FellippeHeitor »

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 10:07:49 pm »
Ha! I've been finding it handy now that I know about it.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:09:14 pm »
Ha! I've been finding it handy now that I know about it.

That's why I think we should add a new shortcut instead of changing the current usage, as people may have gotten used to them as they currently are.

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 11:34:55 pm »
Yes, toggling would work. I like that.