Author Topic: How about dictating your QB64 Program?  (Read 2626 times)

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
How about dictating your QB64 Program?
« on: January 26, 2022, 02:33:51 pm »
I ran into this while looking for a sample of Text to Speech Sounds for Johnno.
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=speech+to+text+windows+10+youtube&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_e6DxYYGYAcLB0PEP18ab4A013

Be cool if we could do this for coding!  Then we might not need SpellChecker, but probably be likely we would be turning it off.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
Re: How about dictating your QB64 Program?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 02:41:49 pm »
You can.   At least, I can.  Just grab a copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking, and it'll turn your voice into text wherever you want it to.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 02:50:40 pm »
In fact, you can too, if you have Windows 11.

Win 11 comes with a Voice Typing tool built in.  Just hit WindowKey + H to activate it.   Then you can talk and get code which looks like:

Print quote Hello world quote.

I'm not familiar enough with its usage to know how to get actual quotation marks rather than "quote" from it, as I normally use other software for this type task, but it's something you can always play around with.  Just go into the Edit menu later and change all "quote " to quotation marks.  ;)
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 02:43:34 am »
Steve,

Quick story. I attended the 1993 PC Show here in Melbourne and they were demonstrating Voice Recognition... The presentation drew a sizeable crowd... The presenter ask a spectator if he would like to try it out... So he did. The presenter instructed him to speak clearly but not too loud... He gave the following commands, handed back the headset, and continued his spectating... "Format c", "enter"... The pc responded with "are you sure", spectator continued with, "y", "enter"... The presenter's jaw dropped. Mixed reactions of chuckles and gasps from on-lookers... Yep. I was among those that chuckled... True story.
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 12:54:52 pm »
Speech recognition is nowadays handled so brilliantly by on-line supercomputers.  iPhone dictation is much better than Windows 11 (as you'd expect).

I have a regional English accent and iPhone dictation was virtually perfect (without any training for my accent which was astounding).  I even gave it the vernacular 'blimey' and it got it perfectly.  Just amazing.