Author Topic: Project looking for Programmer (I can't do it myself)  (Read 18197 times)

Offline Daniel3D

Re: Project looking for Programmer (I can't do it myself)
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 03:17:29 pm »
Best place to ask for this type thing is from the DosBox community — they stay immersed in the proper syntax all the time.
I haven't found that part of the community yet. Most of the forum is about DOSBox itself and troubleshooting games.
But I'll just shoot a message in there, maybe it sticks.

Thanks everyone for thinking with me.

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 04:01:01 pm »
Is this the Stunts about you are talking?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwsU8ArCmQk

and does it run in MSDOS 5.0/6.2 or lower?

Here another source in the web: https://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?abandonware=Stunts&gid=2054

So you don't run it under DOSBOX but  in a Virtual Machine with MSDOS installed.
You're trying to do an installer with QBasic that is installed in old MsDOS.
You needn't a compiled .EXE except if it runs under MSDOS! The choice to use Qbasic is clear but not all the QB45 functions are in QBasic, starting from Call Interrupt so you need to workaround with Call Absolute.

A good undefined project
Is the interface of installer ... command line, with window and components  like those of VBDOS in ASCII,   or in graphic mode? Using mouse or not?  ...running in a LAN with what protocol?
A simple idea can become very complicated if you don't specify at starting the features.
There are so many retro DOSlovers, you can ask also on the Pete's forum that is specifically QB/QBasic.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/ if Pete doesn't answer to your call.
Good Luck
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 05:06:35 pm »
We had a member at the QBasic Forum a couple of years ago, TheRealMikeHawk, who mixed a lot of DOS programing and asm routines in his QBasic games. Fell had a look at them, but determined there was no way to convert them to QB64, either then or now. Michael Calkins was another member with many DOS and asm skills. He joined here, but hasn't been around for a year or two. As for me, I only used a small bit of asm knowledge for mouse routines, etc. and never used DOS to make a program.

I don't have the more extensive background in asm and DOS as the two folks I mentioned, and since I have no interest in games, I would not be comfortable with working on an installer that requires a knowledge of the game. I absolutely pass on offering help on this one.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2021, 04:07:44 pm »
I would not be comfortable with working on an installer that requires a knowledge of the game. I absolutely pass on offering help on this one.

Pete
Knowledge of the game is handy for the advanced functions. But I can provide that information if needed,
The basic installer is a glorified Xcopy. Just dump all in a new location.
But i am in my attempt to be clear and complete perhaps a bit chaotic. I apologize for that.

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2021, 04:19:16 pm »
Is this the Stunts about you are talking?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwsU8ArCmQk

and does it run in MSDOS 5.0/6.2 or lower?
Well yes that is the one.  It is from 1990 and runs on a 286. So i guess DOS version 3.3 and up.
Here another source in the web: https://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?abandonware=Stunts&gid=2054

So you don't run it under DOSBOX but  in a Virtual Machine with MSDOS installed.
You're trying to do an installer with QBasic that is installed in old MsDOS.
You needn't a compiled .EXE except if it runs under MSDOS! The choice to use Qbasic is clear but not all the QB45 functions are in QBasic, starting from Call Interrupt so you need to workaround with Call Absolute.
I run it in DOSBox. but others run it bare-metal MSDOS or freedos.
Some in a VM. It depends on system and personal preference.

A good undefined project
Is the interface of installer ... command line, with window and components  like those of VBDOS in ASCII,   or in graphic mode? Using mouse or not?  ...running in a LAN with what protocol?
A simple idea can become very complicated if you don't specify at starting the features.
There are so many retro DOSlovers, you can ask also on the Pete's forum that is specifically QB/QBasic.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/ if Pete doesn't answer to your call.
Good Luck
Not everything is defined because it also depends on the person working with it. There is artistic freedom.
But the main idea is a program that fits the early nineties. Mouse support is preferable.

Ill check the other forum as wel. Thanks for the information.

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2021, 05:28:18 am »
Ill check the other forum as wel. Thanks for the information.
turns out that i already found that forum, there if was redirected here on the basis that this one is more active,
but thanks for thinking with me.

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2021, 07:05:23 pm »
I run it in DOSBox. but others run it bare-metal MSDOS or freedos.
Some in a VM. It depends on system and personal preference.
So I must imagine that the program runs standalone and the installer is like Forge for Minecraft. A composer/installer of different mods that add different objects to the main game, and to get this there is a tree of folder with files/resources.

IMHO you cannot think of one kind of installer. A DOS installer cannot run on machine with 32/64 bits.
So you need an installer written in Qbasic level of BASIC language so you can compile it with QB.exe or run it by Qbasic in a MSDOS system machine (both virtual both real).
The same code compiled with QB64 can run on 32/64 bits machine on which you can use DOSBOX.

This program/ installer must have a first part in which the user chooses from a list the MODs (each MOD has its files) to install  plus the basic version, and a second part in which the user specify the path of destination of installation.

Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2021, 06:02:25 am »
That is correct.
The game itself is DOS only. So the install program is mainly aimed at DOS users.
In windows you can drag and drop. But for dos a installer is easier.

In the attachment, a tree example of the game.
It contains the main game with the unfinished SETUP (source included below) - quickbasic
and a mod program sgar (simple garage, written a few days ago) with in its garage 3 mod cars. (program + source included below) - freebasic

Cars are named as prefix car name and extension names:

cars (in garage):
DAUD
DBMW
DMCB

Prefixes and Extensions:
CAR          .RES
STDA          .VSH
STDB         .VSH
ST              .3SH

But in the main dir the extentions are differend because those files are packed.
3sh or p3s - 3d shape resource files.
Vsh or PVS - graphic resource files images
Res or pre - resources. Text and settings
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 07:33:42 am by Daniel3D »

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2021, 03:52:17 am »
I see there is a lot of interest in the code.
That is nice. And you're welcome to it.
But is there anyone willing to write a simple installer?

Just added to the setup script. And doesn't have to be perfect either.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2021, 01:41:44 pm »
I see there is a lot of interest in the code.
That is nice. And you're welcome to it.
But is there anyone willing to write a simple installer?

Just added to the setup script. And doesn't have to be perfect either.

I think, and this might just be me, that your "installer" requires too much knowledge and experience playing with Stunts that a programming guy coming in cold would have to invest too much time, to learn, to construct a proper installation. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2021, 07:56:07 am »
I disagree.
Although it would be great if there can be distinguished between the base game and mods.
Just a "copy all" from a to b is good enough.
A check if the main executables are there is nice.

That brings the setup on par with the original.

Maybe I didn't state that clearly in my original post in my attempt to make it more attractive..

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2021, 09:11:27 am »
A copy all from A to B can be accomplished by a Windows command or batch file. That can be done with a Shell command from QB64. Where does A and B come from? user input?

_FileExists is a function that can check for files present.

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2021, 12:33:48 pm »
A copy all from A to B can be accomplished by a Windows command or batch file. That can be done with a Shell command from QB64. Where does A and B come from? user input?

_FileExists is a function that can check for files present.
User input. As long as the source contains the game.
If destination doesn't exist ask to create.
If it does exist ask for overwrite.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2021, 01:01:11 pm »
User input. As long as the source contains the game.
If destination doesn't exist ask to create.
If it does exist ask for overwrite.

OK @Daniel3D can you say in English and in detail (specific Files, Folders, Extensions to which we will probably assign string variables or arrays or make Data lines) and step by step what you want the Installer to do? Call this pseudo coding.

So user inputs a (Source) Folder, it probably with have to be pathed. Do you know what I mean by pathed? All sub Folders from Drive to Folder in question: Drive:\\sub\sub\Source
Then check if that Folder contains, what game?

User inputs a Destination Folder (again pathed so we don't have to write code looking all over the hard drive for it, only to (NOT) find out it is in the SD card slot.

Get permission to overwrite... assuming success so far, then what? Just copy all files from Source to Destination?

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2021, 01:26:47 pm »

OK @Daniel3D can you say in English and in detail (specific Files, Folders, Extensions to which we will probably assign string variables or arrays or make Data lines) and step by step what you want the Installer to do? Call this pseudo coding.

So user inputs a (Source) Folder, it probably with have to be pathed. Do you know what I mean by pathed? All sub Folders from Drive to Folder in question: Drive:\\sub\sub\Source
Then check if that Folder contains, what game?

User inputs a Destination Folder (again pathed so we don't have to write code looking all over the hard drive for it, only to (NOT) find out it is in the SD card slot.

Get permission to overwrite... assuming success so far, then what? Just copy all files from Source to Destination?

Isn't this just a basic batch file job, like I mentioned at the start of this thread?  What the heck am I missing?
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!