Author Topic: Project looking for Programmer (I can't do it myself)  (Read 18212 times)

Offline wiggins

Re: Project looking for Programmer (I can't do it myself)
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2022, 09:22:59 pm »
I know ASM but it is really hard to do ASM in QB64. I'm not saying impossible - and I have tried by disassembling QB64 code but my lack of compiler knowledge makes that a challenge.  I just do not have the time or patience to tweak QB64 code nor would I want to other than for pure amusement.

Your best bet is to try to write the entire game in QB64 which is not easy but a lot easier than trying to emulate ASM code in QB64 or get into the really brainy world of API functions etc.
You can download the QB64 source code which contains all the sub-routines.  You can even review the QB64 output file with the generated basic to C code.  What is there to disassemble in QB64?  Nothing is hidden from you.

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2022, 07:26:11 am »
I know ASM but it is really hard to do ASM in QB64. I'm not saying impossible - and I have tried by disassembling QB64 code but my lack of compiler knowledge makes that a challenge.  I just do not have the time or patience to tweak QB64 code nor would I want to other than for pure amusement.

Your best bet is to try to write the entire game in QB64 which is not easy but a lot easier than trying to emulate ASM code in QB64 or get into the really brainy world of API functions etc.
You can download the QB64 source code which contains all the sub-routines.  You can even review the QB64 output file with the generated basic to C code.  What is there to disassemble in QB64?  Nothing is hidden from you.
Thank you both. But it is not about the game itself in this case, but just the SETUP/INSTALLER program to go with it. Because the executables have changed, the original installer program doesn't function anymore.
The only thing I need at the moment is an Installer function added to the setup. The (replacement)setup program is written in QB. It has to run in DOS, that is the main goal.

Offline wiggins

« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2022, 09:43:03 pm »
So you need a modification to the QB64 installer program?

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2022, 03:39:36 pm »
No, we (at forum.stunts.hu) have rebuild the executable file for the game stunts. That makes the original setup program unable to function. Therefore we made a new setup. That new setup program still needs the installer function.

Offline Jakebullet70

« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2022, 10:35:31 pm »
Do you still need help with this?

Offline NOVARSEG

• Forum Resident
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2022, 12:31:58 am »
** The only thing I need at the moment is an Installer function added to the setup. The (replacement)setup program is written in QB. It has to run in DOS, that is the main goal.**

Ok if the installer only runs in DOS then the game runs in DOS too so Im not sure I follow.  You might want to try messing about with Microsoft XP and see if it works there. To run the same DOS game in QB64 you got to port over the basic source code (if you can get the source) and compile it in QB64.  Now I think you said that the game was written in 16 bit assembler but that wont run on anything later than XP

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2022, 05:33:36 am »
Do you still need help with this?
Well, I'm not sure.  There is a lot of progress, but it has halted in the final stages, it seems.
Hi Daniel3D
fine this function extracting name of car from file of car.
I'll try it so in a second moment I can integrate it.

Soon final version of installer. I'm testing it in Qbasic in DosBox for windows.
See Later
But that was 4 months ago, and he hasn't been online in almost as long.

What I'm looking for (it got a bit more extended in this thread) is basically just a DOS based installer
(DOS is its target, and it only needs to function in DOS, a DOS clone or DOS emulator)
(I don't really care about the programming language, but the game-setup part is done and written in QB.)
The installer must be able to install the game clean (just gamefiles for provided list)
or make a full install (all files and subs in game dir)

Optionally are custom options. (can be simple with wild cards - include all tracks, include all cars, something like that)
But an option to just install the game from any location to any location would be awesome.

I know this is a QB64 forum, but the only one 'basic' forum that is active.
So if you're up for some old school QB Programming, you are very welcome.

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2022, 05:39:31 am »
** The only thing I need at the moment is an Installer function added to the setup. The (replacement)setup program is written in QB. It has to run in DOS, that is the main goal.**

Ok if the installer only runs in DOS then the game runs in DOS too so Im not sure I follow.  You might want to try messing about with Microsoft XP and see if it works there. To run the same DOS game in QB64 you got to port over the basic source code (if you can get the source) and compile it in QB64.  Now I think you said that the game was written in 16 bit assembler but that wont run on anything later than XP
Only DOS matters.
The game was recompiled for DOS, so the new setup program was written for DOS.
the installer function is only needed for DOS.

It is mostly to make it whole again and for the few bare metal DOS gamers. Most just drag and drop in windows and use DOSBOX to play.