Author Topic: QB64, InForm and vWATCH64 and the Raspberry Pi?  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • My small QB64 contribution
QB64, InForm and vWATCH64 and the Raspberry Pi?
« on: August 15, 2021, 06:03:59 pm »
Hello all.

To date, the Raspberry Pi has sold over 50 million units worldwide and is now available with a 64 bit quad core CPU and an OS directly derived from Debian Linux for well under $ 100.00.

Please do me the favor and take a few minutes to read the Foundation's 2020 Annual Report: https://static.raspberrypi.org/files/about/RaspberryPiFoundationReview2020.pdf

Then, please answer these two simple questions:

1) Given the Raspberry Pi's obvious target, which is education, should QB64, InForm and vWATCH64 remain inaccessible to this environment for a long time and give way to Microsoft or Google once again?

2) What should be done to make these three great and amazing development tools available for this platform?

And I do not think that the price of the acquisition for example of a Pi400 which is just ready to use is a real obstacle for any developper.

Looking forward.

Cheers.
Fifi

PS: a partnership with the fundation is even possible and if needed, due to my background, I may help to create and manage it.
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
Re: QB64, InForm and vWATCH64 and the Raspberry Pi?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 11:29:01 pm »
QB64 works on the R-Pi.  There’s multiple posts on the topic if you’ll just search for them.  The biggest thing you need is either enough ram, or a large enough swap file, to compile the source on.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline doppler

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 05:33:25 am »
Vwatch is being integrated into qb64.  The source of Vwatch showed the use of very specific "Window" apps/interfacing calls.  And likely the integration is making the same calls.  Because of these calls, "Correct me if I am wrong" I don't think Vwatch is capable of running on Linux.  Hence the using of PI (debian linux based) is null and void.  The core use of qb64 can be compiled and used in Linux and the PI.  The specialty programs like Vwatch will out of reach.

You can try to ask @FellippeHeitor about it.  If I remember right he does not own any linux based equipment.  He is a windows GURU and gaining or exceeding his legendary status among QB64 users.

PS. What Sam said about enough RAM is true.  The 1GB version was able to compile an older version of qb64.  2GB, 4GB or 8GB version of the PI 4 or compute modules based on the PI 4.  The PI series of SBC's was never meant to play with the big boy tools.   The 10's of millions sold has taught everyone about the use of computers.  Another great learning tool was the "Arduino", no where near as powerful as the PI.  But as a task specific device, does wonders.

Offline luke

• Administrator
  • Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 10:17:52 am »
If someone could attach the output of
Code: [Select]
gcc -dM -E - < /dev/null run on an older (i.e. not 64 bit) Raspberry Pi that'd be much appreciated.

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • My small QB64 contribution
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 10:31:36 am »
Vwatch is being integrated into qb64.  The source of Vwatch showed the use of very specific "Window" apps/interfacing calls.  And likely the integration is making the same calls.  Because of these calls, "Correct me if I am wrong" I don't think Vwatch is capable of running on Linux.  Hence the using of PI (debian linux based) is null and void.  The core use of qb64 can be compiled and used in Linux and the PI.  The specialty programs like Vwatch will out of reach.

You can try to ask @FellippeHeitor about it.  If I remember right he does not own any linux based equipment.  He is a windows GURU and gaining or exceeding his legendary status among QB64 users.

PS. What Sam said about enough RAM is true.  The 1GB version was able to compile an older version of qb64.  2GB, 4GB or 8GB version of the PI 4 or compute modules based on the PI 4.  The PI series of SBC's was never meant to play with the big boy tools.   The 10's of millions sold has taught everyone about the use of computers.  Another great learning tool was the "Arduino", no where near as powerful as the PI.  But as a task specific device, does wonders.

Hi doppler,

The three QB64, InForm and vWACH64 software run nicely on multiple derivatives of Linux on regular PCs (that's why I made my multi-lingual installation script).

However, when some times ago I modified my script for you for the Pi, you said QB64 encountered a problem with floating point. Did you solved it?

Last point: You don't need to have a dedicated Linux equipment to develop code for Linux. VMs are enough for that task and the best solution is by far VMware (Fusion for macOS and Workstation for Windows and Linux). Let me know if you want o try it.

Cheers.
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

Offline doppler

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 12:05:08 pm »
Hi doppler,

However, when some times ago I modified my script for you for the Pi, you said QB64 encountered a problem with floating point. Did you solved it?

If you go back on the forum posts, you will see the floating point stuff.  Has to be modified or conditionally handled in an .h file.  I am not a Linux maven or Linux script writer.  I can't even begin to think what needs to change.  I just hardcoded the requirement for a PI.  Not the most elegant way to do it.

Unless you have a PI 4 (or the compute module based on the 4) QB64 was never meant for PI code development "Too damn slow".  If you are serious to use the PI "end product".  Do your development on a VM environment.  If the VM is "arm linux", the ELF code can be SCP'ed to the pi for testing.  Best solution in my mind.

Offline George McGinn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • Resume
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 03:27:03 pm »
@luke I wonder if you want the OS running at 32-bit or the hardware?

I ask because when I installed the latest Buster Raspian OS on my PI4 with 8GB, the hardware says it's 64bit, but the software says it is 32bit.

Does it make a difference if the OS isn't a 64bit OS?

I can break out my old 3B+ (I think that hardware is 32bit), if no one else has responded.

Let me know.

If someone could attach the output of
Code: [Select]
gcc -dM -E - < /dev/null run on an older (i.e. not 64 bit) Raspberry Pi that'd be much appreciated.
Technical Council on Software Engineering
IEEE Standards Association
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)

Offline doppler

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 09:31:20 pm »
@luke
I ask because when I installed the latest Buster Raspian OS on my PI4 with 8GB, the hardware says it's 64bit, but the software says it is 32bit.
Unless you change the repository to point to 64 bit kernel, and dist-upgrade.  The kernel will be 32 bit.  Also unless you change the kernel and all of your apps to 64 bit it's not worth it.  Not saying there is no improvement, there is.  The amount of stuff breaking exceeds the benefit. (no direct accelerated 64 bit video drivers, among other things.)  Downside the only PI worthwhile to experiment with is the 4.  But then again with 2GB+  The 32 bit version of PI is very, very stable.  The PI foundation has stated, they have no plans to officially release a 64 bit fork of Debian for PI's.