Author Topic: Arduino a possibility with QB64?  (Read 3188 times)

Offline fistfullofnails

• View Profile
Arduino a possibility with QB64?
« on: July 22, 2021, 12:23:38 am »
I’m a long time noob due to my severe ADHD and just being a slow learner in general.  I’ve been away for a while due to abandoning the QB64 ship and drifting into C programming and Arduino.  And to be honest, I feel dumber now than before after the hiatus.  I don’t know what it is about QB, but things seemed to stick and I actually felt like I could half think like a programmer when studying it. 

After months of C and whatever the arduino language is, I still feel like I’ve gone brain dead and can’t retain any of that stuff.  Plus creativity plunges to nothing.

Anyways, i was just curious if it would be possible to write some sort of libraries or whatnot that would allow someone to interface with an Arduino and program it using QB64.  I don’t know much about computing itself, so if it’s not possible, I’m interested in knowing why.

Offline Richard

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Arduino a possibility with QB64?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 12:52:02 am »
@fistfullofnails

You may have done this already - but have you entered Arduino in the search box of the opening main page of the QB64 forum?  (The search comes up with a total of 8 references).

Hope this may help you get started.

Offline Richard

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 02:31:10 am »
@fistfullofnails

Just to let you know - I did a search scan of archives of QB64․net of (~2008 to ~2016) fame - not to confuse with the site of (~2017 to present) fame referred to in the warning message on the QB64.org forum front page.

My search did not come up with any results for Arduino.

Offline fistfullofnails

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 03:14:03 pm »
Thanks.  I’m not really familiar with the code that those posts are pasting, but I do see that at least some aspects are possible.  Since my original post, I see that pre-arduino, there was a microcontroller called the BStamp? that used a flavor of Basic to program it. 

Offline Cobalt

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • At 60 I become highly radioactive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 03:49:15 pm »
As long as you know how to address the arduino interface it wouldn't be all that hard.

if its anything like the Fischertechnik robotics interfaces it wouldn't take a whole lot.
Granted after becoming radioactive I only have a half-life!

Offline George McGinn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • Resume
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 05:26:43 pm »
Before either QB64 v1.5 or the upgrade to Debian Buster on the Raspberry PI, I used to run QB64 on a 32-bit ARM processor, and had some success with GPIO pins.

However, since one of a few upgrades, I have not been able to continue to run QB64 on a single board computer.

I have no idea why, but I suspect it has to do with both the OS and hardware architecture.

You will probably have the same issues with Arduino devices as well.
Technical Council on Software Engineering
IEEE Standards Association
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)

Offline Richard

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 08:29:22 pm »
@fistfullofnails

Also just to let you know - I started an automated scan of Network54 archives of any reference to Arduino - this was started about 12 hours ago (and still in searching mode) using Windows 10 search feature.

Below is an abstract of the search to present writing of this reply to you.

Where you see a 5-digit number - think of it as a topic number.

I believe that the Network54 site was sold off (or something) to Tapatalk (or something like that).

I could be getting my Pete's mixed up, but I think that @Pete (this forum - the one who is always right) may be able to guide you to the Tapatalk site, which I think has continued on all the forums from N54 and is quite active at present.

Meanwhile, I will let the automated search for Arduino continue (in the background) until the expected (predictable) computer crash occurs whenever Windows (for me) runs longer than about 3 days (24/7)

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

Offline Richard Frost

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Needle nardle noo. - Peter Sellers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 10:41:12 pm »
I spent a couple years programming the Parallax BASIC Stamp 2.  At the time, QB64 didn't exist, so I was also using QB4.5.  The only time I mixed the two (QB4.5 and the Stamp) was to have QB4.5 create the DATA statements for a Stamp program.  No other use seems to make sense.

Parallax BASIC has little in common with QB4.5 or QB64.  Commands like BUTTON, SHIFTIN, SHIFTOUT, and LOOKUP have no QB equivalent.  And the Stamp only has 2K memory for the program and data.

One could write an editor for a Stamp in QB64, which would also download to the Stamp with
alt-R.  But what for?  The editor provided free by Parallax is fine.

Stamps were $50 each, and now they're over 60.  So they're expensive, slow, and limited.  The only reason to use one is because they're so easy to program, compared to a PIC (which the
BS2-IC contains) or 8051.

Most Arduinos are much cheaper than Stamps, and that's all I know about them.

It works better if you plug it in.

Offline Richard

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 01:54:35 am »
@fistfullofnails

I gather that since you mentioned you had spent considerable time with C and Arduino - that you may have used an IDE to program Arduino.

Just in case you may not have considered the following, I refer you to

https://www.circuito.io/blog/arduino-code/

which includes a link to the Arduino IDE download.

I gather that you may also have referred to Arduino forum(s).

Though I have not done it myself, once you have a working C program which interfaces to your Arduino - it may be possible to use the relevant C Libraries for Arduino in a QB64 program itself - from which hopefully some QB64 forum members may be able to assist with the relevant QB64 code structure to use same.

Should you have some C code as above - please post into a code box (as C++ code) with your reply when ready.

Offline Richard

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 03:18:30 pm »
@fistfullofnails

Update on my search for "Arduino" on N54.

Windows 10 finally finished the automated search for "Arduino" on the Network54 archives - and the (abstract) search results for the 30-hour session is as follows

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

I would hope that the Tapatalk site would have more recent topics.