Author Topic: Using the Help function  (Read 2041 times)

Offline PhilOfPerth

• View Profile
    • The Olden Days
Using the Help function
« on: May 16, 2021, 08:43:49 pm »
I'm fairly familiar with using QB64, and can usually find a way to do most things. But occasionally, I need help with use of a particular function - its syntax etc.
But I find it very difficult to find help on the function using the Help button.
The View and Contents sub-buttons seem to give the same results - a list of searches I've previously made.
What I think would be REALLY helpful is to have a Search For... button, or similar, that would take me to the keyword, or part of the keyword, with its description and its syntax, with its limitations.
Maybe I'm missing something, but can someone either clarify or implement this?

FellippeHeitor

Re: Using the Help function
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 08:45:30 pm »
Welcome aboard, PhilOfPerth.

If you type a keyword and hit F1 you'll go straight to it. You can also right-click keywords and choose "Help" in the contextual menu.

And don't forget our help pages come straight from the wiki, which is searchable: http://www.qb64.org/wiki

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 08:49:30 pm »
There is also a Keyword by usage section, so if you dont know the name of keyword you can try under a general usage category like Files, Arrays, ... Color, Console Window.... is how it starts both in Help and in Wiki.

Offline PhilOfPerth

• View Profile
    • The Olden Days
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 08:54:06 pm »
Thanks a heap for that!
A perfect answer to a silly question. I should have guessed both methods, as they're pretty standard (crawls away with head down, avoiding eye-contact)...

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 08:58:00 pm »
Thanks a heap for that!
A perfect answer to a silly question. I should have guessed both methods, as they're pretty standard (crawls away with head down, avoiding eye-contact)...

Hold your head high, you probably asked a question 10 people too shy to ask, so those 10 saved by you!