Author Topic: Spiderbro  (Read 7277 times)

Offline pforpond

• I am me
    • View Profile
Spiderbro
« on: April 01, 2021, 03:12:20 pm »
This is the beta release of a puzzle game I'm calling Spiderbro. It is the full game but has no audio as it is currently being worked on still. I hope the game is enjoyable to play and I'd love any feedback you all have. It should take about an hour to complete, maybe less. The download zip has both the source and precompiled binaries within.

Download here!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 04:19:53 pm by pforpond »
Loading Signature...

Offline MasterGy

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • people lie, math never lies
    • View Profile
Re: Spiderbro
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 04:12:12 pm »
Hello ! it looks very serious! unfortunately it doesn't start, i don't get to run. In which QB version did you create it?

Offline pforpond

• I am me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 04:27:07 pm »
Hello ! it looks very serious! unfortunately it doesn't start, i don't get to run. In which QB version did you create it?
Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting it to launch. The builds provided were compiled with version 1.5, however version 1.4 and 1.3 would likely also work. Two possible issues come to mind, are you running a 64bit OS (a requirement I'm afraid) and is the data folder present (also a requirement) ?
Loading Signature...

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 05:08:20 pm »
Working as expected (running on macOS Catalina, had to chmod +x) - I'd played the early demo, now let's see how this adventure ends!

Thanks for sharing!

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 05:23:33 pm »
Seems to be working on my Windows laptop, after fixed icon with usual ".\" prefix.

Took 7 minutes to compile and I got this:

spiderbro.PNG

Walked down one little pipe ran into gate, walked other way found door going up but no key.

Don't now what supposed to do so quit.

When extracting 5856 Items, it asked if I wanted the 1500 duplicate files, I said no.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 05:25:36 pm by bplus »

Offline pforpond

• I am me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 05:25:13 pm »
Seems to be working on my Windows laptop, after fixed icon with usual ".\" prefix.

Took 7 minutes to compile and I got this:

spiderbro.PNG

Walked down one little pipe ran into gate, walked other way found door going up but no key.

Don't now what supposed to do so quit.

Try pressing space on the gate you ran into. Also it may help you to resize the window or switch to fullscreen mode, I fear you may be missing out on the hints the first level provides :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 05:31:01 pm by pforpond »
Loading Signature...

Offline pforpond

• I am me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 05:28:29 pm »
When extracting 5856 Items, it asked if I wanted the 1500 duplicate files, I said no.

You're probably going to need those files. I'm sorry there are so many of them.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 05:49:24 pm by pforpond »
Loading Signature...

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 01:25:08 pm »
You're probably going to need those files. I'm sorry there are so many of them.

Why would I need duplicate files? Maybe instruct Windows users what files they would need?

Is this the game that builds little assembler like proggies or do I have this confused with someone else?

Offline pforpond

• I am me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 05:11:19 pm »
Why would I need duplicate files? Maybe instruct Windows users what files they would need?
You will need all the files. There are no optional files, you will need them all for the game to function correctly. I do not know why your zip extractor thinks there are duplicate files, maybe because some of them have identical names despite them being in different folders. I've attached a screenshot to show exactly how many files and how much disk space the data folder has.

Is this the game that builds little assembler like proggies or do I have this confused with someone else?
I have no idea what you mean by that I'm afraid. This is an original game that I built from scratch if that helps at all, I posted the first couple of levels on here a couple of months ago. :)
datadir.png
* datadir.png (Filesize: 378.24 KB, Dimensions: 754x1524, Views: 222)
Loading Signature...

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 05:46:11 pm »
https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=3443.msg127534#msg127534

STx
I gave this a try and it was actually pretty cool. I was able to make some progress, like find the computer disk, load the software - etc etc. This game contains many sub-tasks and sequences, as evident on the background console, which shows its own scripting language of sorts at work. Very impressive to watch.

... supposing you can see it. The whole game loads on the size of a postage stamp. Is there a big-screen mode? Alt+Enter gave so/so results.

This thing is a total blast though.

Oh I have the right game, maybe didn't describe it well, you did have your own language programs going, at least according to STx

I never got that far with game, does sound interesting :)

Offline pforpond

• I am me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 04:35:06 am »
https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=3443.msg127534#msg127534

STx
Oh I have the right game, maybe didn't describe it well, you did have your own language programs going, at least according to STx

I never got that far with game, does sound interesting :)

Ah I see, forgive me, you're talking about my game. I think STx is referring to the scripting or "stage director" as I like to call it as it. With it I can construct scenes, move players, change map, get a player to talk, change the music, play a sound etc. Any cutscene, even if it is just walking through a door to another room, relies on the stage director.

I have to ask why you never got far (not offended just curious). was it too hard or do you have little interest in playing a game? Or something else? :)
Loading Signature...

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 10:46:23 am »
have to ask why you never got far (not offended just curious). was it too hard or do you have little interest in playing a game? Or something else? :)

I confess I am easily frustrated, so many games show up here and many are find the magic ring, potion, weapon walk through maze fight dragons or ogres save the princess find the treasure... blah blah blah

Not really motivated so the least little hangup, I quit. I do like puzzles though once I get gist of what is wanted or some strategy to test... I can get into that.

For you, I will try again, obviously a ton of effort has gone into this project and from what I am reading from others who seem to get it, seem to like it, I don't want to miss out on fun! :)

Offline pforpond

• I am me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 09:18:31 am »
For you, I will try again, obviously a ton of effort has gone into this project and from what I am reading from others who seem to get it, seem to like it, I don't want to miss out on fun! :)

Well thank you, please don't feel like you have to, it's totally cool if my game just isn't for you. If it helps I've written up a walkthrough for anyone struggling with the puzzles. It is hard to gauge how hard they actually are since I made them. :)
* walkthrough.pdf (Filesize: 42.81 KB, Downloads: 166)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:29:53 am by pforpond »
Loading Signature...

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 12:09:52 pm »
Thankyou Danni,

This walkthrough looks to be very helpful. I offer suggestion for line 14 to prefix the icon file with ".\" so fewer people might be hung by that simple fix.

The key phrase that I somehow missed before but you offered later is:
• Pressing space will make Spiderbro interact with an object.

Oh that's a mirror we encounter at the beginning. Hmm... OK LOL

I am compiling for 3rd time to try again as I write this little note.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 12:10:58 pm by bplus »

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 12:52:09 pm »
Oh working fine! very cute! The music in background OK and fullscreen does make it easier to see.