Author Topic: Time to upgrade! QB64 v1.5 now available.  (Read 8180 times)

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
Re: Time to upgrade! QB64 v1.5 now available.
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2021, 11:51:32 am »
A lot of the $COLOR32 names are the same standard ones you find available in any html page: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2c/17/4c/2c174c0366d166956e035b3cfa332a49.jpg

The rest of them were just taken from Crayola’s color values: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Crayola_crayon_colors

Basically, I simply combined the two lists to make one extremely large one, to offer as much versatility and familiarity as possible for our values.

But, I agree — at close to 300 names and values, it’s more than my poor brain can remember as well, so like you, I tend to end up probably just using about a dozen of them, or so.  A nice color name and preview pane would make a nice addition to the tools for us, but until someone can get around to adding one, you might want to make reference to the two links above.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2021, 10:29:14 am »
"Quick Navigation" I missed the class on that ;-))  Am curious too! Plus the map to treasure chest and I am all set!

Quick Navigation has been around since previous versions. Whenever you navigate through your code - by selecting a Sub/Function in the F2 dialog, by going to "Search->Go to line...", by right-clicking a Sub/Function/Label name and choosing "Go To", or by using bookmarks - a "back arrow" will be displayed right below the "File" menu:

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

The back arrow won't show if you disable "Quick Navigation" in the Search menu.

That's that. What's new is that now in v1.5 you can use Ctrl+F2 as a shortcut to clicking the back arrow.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 11:31:49 am by FellippeHeitor »

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2021, 01:24:54 pm »
Oh man thanks, that might save me allot of troubles dealing with 1K and above LOC.

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2021, 02:13:12 pm »
So that Quick Navigation does not work on a Search. If you are on a line of code and realize you are about to use a variable but not sure of the exact name, so you Search - Find that variable name on another line of code - selecting Quick Navigation doesn't get you back to the line where you were originally working. Have I got that right? Quick Navigation only works with those specific F2 or Go To Line options.

If I'm working with the Search - Find/Repeat/Change - I would need to use the Book Mark feature to get me back to the original line on which I was coding.

I have mostly been using the book mark feature to get me to key areas of my code where I have calculations or display code. The Book Mark feature appears to be unlimited but as they are cumbersome in that you need to go through one book mark at a time to get to where you want to go, it's not very practical to be using the book mark with the Search -Find/Repeat/Change.( It's embarrassing how often I forget the exact name of the variables I use) So I'm thinking v1.5 has not changed Quick Navigation to work with Search-Find/Repeat/Change.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2021, 04:20:26 pm »
Yes, search operations do not trigger navigation points.

Offline LM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2021, 01:06:28 am »
Thanks for having me on, Fellippe! Was so excited to help announce the new release!

I just watched the YouTube video in the last couple of days.  Both of you guys did a great job with with it.  I downloaded 1.5 yesterday and I am excited!  I love the  "Insert Quick Keycode" and new ASCII Chart.  Thanks to the team for all your efforts in keeping the development going.  I, for one, really appreciate it!   

Offline bigriverguy

• View Profile
Re: Time to upgrade! QB64 v1.5 now available
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2021, 03:27:06 am »
Just an FYI for those who might be interested.  I found a great Linux installation script for version 1.5 at http://www.as2.com

Offline LM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2021, 10:57:54 pm »
I have now spent several hours coding in v1.5.  I like it!  I also like the updated color scheme.  The development team is doing amazing work!

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2021, 02:43:53 pm »
Quick question on the ? as a short cut for the PRINT statement in v1.5. Seems it not working the Sub Routines for me but is working in the Main program. I believe it worked before. Not a big deal but have we lost that short cut feature in v 1.5?

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2021, 02:47:44 pm »
I take that back. I had an error in the main program which needed to be addressed before the ? would generate the word PRINT. It working ok now

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2021, 05:02:31 pm »
@Dimster 

You would be a changed man if you change your avatar name to BrightStar :)

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2021, 09:13:26 pm »
@bplus
BrightStar is too heavy a monocle to carry. The Dimster arrived originally because I was constantly forgetting to add "SHARED" to my variables and arrays. But now it's "MY GAWD why isn't this working? OH ya, I forgot to do so and so." Seems that refrain is with me a lot, even when I'm not at the computer coding. But when it works its' a HIGH. An addictive HIGH. BightStar maybe wouldn't get the pleasure of a coding high as much as the Dimster does. I'm really enjoying v 1.5. I think we need to add Voice to those Warnings and Error Messages. The other day I sat looking at my screen with another of those MY GAWD why moments. Took me a while to see the Error Message at the bottom of the screen. I had a ";" where I should have had a ":". I've been so use to those Error Messages being so cryptic that I often felt I could find the error faster than trying to decipher the Error Code but this time it was very helpful, and I thought Why was that not flashing in neon.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2021, 10:26:00 pm »
I am definitely enjoying v1.5 as well the As Long, As String... nice!

And I am flying new colors, I call Forest: