Author Topic: QB64 incompatible with Windows 10 v2004?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline dale harris

• View Profile
QB64 incompatible with Windows 10 v2004?
« on: January 24, 2021, 04:56:37 pm »
I received an email from one of my users that has upgraded to Windows 10 Version 2004 and he has complained that my programs in QB64 will no longer start.

I have not upgraded QB64 for quite a while. Is this a known problem? Will upgrading to the current version of QB64 and recompiling my programs fix this?

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
Re: QB64 incompatible with Windows 10 v2004?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 05:10:52 pm »
What version of QB64 did you release your program in? The earlier QB64 used SDL. The newer versions use GL. SDL and GL (OpenGL) are the software development libraries, which makes it possible to display QB64 programs and use sound.

A new compile would probably do the trick and will most likely be recommended. If I was going to distribute software, I would offer updates, as things in the industry do change. It is also possible that the user will need to whitelist the folder and folder contents the QB64 program exe resides in.

You will most likely get a response from one of the developers, soon, but the version info requested would most likely be appreciated.

Hang in there,

Pete

Edit: I just realized I think I know you. I recall a Dale Harris from the QBasic Forum. You were working on POS software, if I recall correctly.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:12:49 pm by Pete »
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline Bert22306

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 05:23:17 pm »
I'm probably not going to be suggesting anything very useful, but my question is, how does a user "upgrade" to a Windows 10 version that is not longer current? The only way I would know would be, on an enterprise network.

The current Windows 10 version is 20H2, which would be, in the old numbering scheme, 2009 or 2010. (I guess Microsoft determined that their original version numbers were too confusing, so now they seem to be called yyH1 and yyH2.)

To answer Pete's suggestion, it seems that even previously, this user must have been using a GL version of QB64 .exe files, or he would have needed to install his own QB64?

If the user is on an enterprise network, no telling what that network does, with "unknown" .exe files. In my case, on my work PC that is, the network always blocks execution of the program, until the user confirms he really wants to run that .exe file. Subsequently, the file will run as always.

I don't know of any incompatibility of QB64 GL executable files, among Windows 10 variants, but others might know better.

Edit: When I install a new QB64 development build, I do recompile the programs I need at the time. I only do this because I wipe clean the QB64 folder, which is where the previous QB64 files were stored. However, I've never needed to do this recompilation with Windows version updates.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:33:34 pm by Bert22306 »

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 05:42:57 pm »
@Bert22306

You have to remember we are dealing with the dumbasses at Microsoft. 2004 is the VERSION of Windows 10, not the year of release. It is the latest update, I believe. It just seems so stupid to call it Windows 10 2004. Hell, Windows 10 didn't even come out until what, 2015 or something?

Pete
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:45:15 pm by Pete »
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline dale harris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 05:56:45 pm »
Pete,

I am that Dale Harris and I am still offering the free POS software at http://keyhut.com/pos.htm.
The QB64 version I am using is “QB64 VERSION (20160902/48)” or so it tells me.

I have just downloaded the latest version of QB64 and I will recompile one of my smaller programs and send it to my user to test.

Download done and QB64 did start.

I will report back.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 06:08:28 pm »
Great! Good to hear from you again. If you ever want to shoot the breeze from time to time I still kept up the QBasic forum and we have a Community Forum there. It is now hosted on Tapatalk (Network54 sold to them a few years ago.)

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Love to hear what you are up to these days, besides the POS project. BTW - You might recall I was using QB for my practice. I have a ledger and sales part of that suite, which looks similar to your cash register app. Also, love the "Tough Beans" comment on the website. Unapologetic is also my middle name. For anyone who doesn't like that name, tough (agent used to help grow beans.)

Pete

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 06:25:13 pm »
If I had to guess, I’d say your old EXE files were compiled back on the SDL version of QB64, and when the user upgraded, they didn’t reinstall the required SDL resource files.  If someone has those files available still, simply extracting them to the user’s folder with the compiled EXE would probably fix the issue.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline dale harris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 08:04:05 pm »
Pete,
    I retired from owning a Sears Key Shop about 4.5 years ago. Obviously my timing was pretty good. I do not do that much coding anymore although I still do support the POS and other program on my site. As you can see by my being here I do dip my hands into coding when necessary.
   The source code for the main POS.EXE program has become too large to compile in Qb7.1 so I had intended to port it to QB64 but that has sort of bogged down although some of the smaller program files have been converted. And I did write the BigpoleQ program in QB64
   Mostly I do repair and construction work for friends and relatives and I have just finished converting half of the basement into a home theater.
   It seems as though when people learn that you are retired they just assume that you now have nothing to do so they come up with chores to help fill your time. “Thoughtful” of them.
   I see by your “beans” comment that you did find the link to the facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/daleharrispos) but did not click on it or you would know what is happening to me. It is about 20% actual POS support, 30% my reaction to some POS users, and the rest about my life. I know that sounds boring but somehow it seems to have a fan base. You will have to judge for yourself.

Offline dale harris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 08:29:55 pm »
I just checked my email and the user reported back with no luck.

So here is my list of possibilities…

1. QB64 programs will not run under Windows 10, build 2004.
2. Windows has screwed up somehow.
3. There is a problem with the user’s copy of Windows 10, build 2004.
4. It is a problem with the user’s new computer.
5. Gremlins.

So if anyone wants to test this with a different computer using Windows 10, build 2004 it would be greatly appreciated.
The user did not upgrade an old computer he purchased a new computer with Windows 10, build 2004 already on it. (My mistake.) So no QB64 program has ever worked on his new computer.
Note the two following links are for the version of  the program usxing the latest version of QB64.
Here is the download link for the program in question. http://keyhut.com/bigpoleq5.exe
Here is the source code for the program. http://keyhut.com/bigpoleq5.exe
Here is the link to the page on my site that describes the program http://keyhut.com/bigpole.htm
Or you can just test one of your programs on a Windows 10, build 2004 machine.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 08:36:15 pm »
Quick question: Has he whitelisted the program and its folder in his anti-virus?  Does he have read/write permissions for the program and its folder?  Is UAC (User Account Control) causing any issues?

I’d be certain to eliminate those possibilities before trying to do anything else.  ;)
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 08:43:54 pm »
Steve and I both mentioned the white listing, and Steve went further into the user account issues. We have seen those situations with others, but i'm not too certain about any of those issues arising with version 2004. My concern with future releases is MS may try to get like phone apps, and require all apps be downloaded from their approved app store.

BTW - I'm also retired, and construction is also one of my hobbies. I've done some additions and remodels on rental properties, etc.

In regard to building old progs into new ones, a similar story. I  ran my office on 14 separate QBasic programs, so I know what you mean about running out of space. When Rob started the QB64 project, I helped with some of the beta testing by trying to put all of those programs into one QB64 program. That required quite a bit of modifying, as the compatibility was ony getting started back then. Over the course of around a year, it came together as one 86,000 line app.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that BigpoleQ you coded. It's probably on your FaceBook page, but I've been avoiding sites like FaceBook and Twitter, ever since they started their bias war against Free Speech. I've been trying to get the developers here (other than Steve) to address that usage issue, but so far, no responses. There's an old saying, "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to stand by and do nothing." My hope is with enough action, we will see a return to normalcy in social media sites. Other than Free Speech, the only thing else I'm  fanatical about is SCREEN 0. You know, the only SCREEN anyone should ever use!!! :D

I hope the white listing issue is all that is happening here.

Pete

Offline dale harris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 08:53:34 pm »
SMcNeill

I have forwarded your reply to the user.

Offline dale harris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 09:35:15 pm »
Good news.

I am in the DHPOS chat room (that just opened 30 minutes ago) and one of the people there has a 2004 machine and the program worked there just fine.

So it looks like it is a specific computer problem.

I am sorry that I bugged everyone with this.

Dale

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 09:51:29 pm »
I'm glad it is not a universal problem. It might also be worth trying to open the command prompt as Administrator and typing in the path and exe name, to try and start the app, that way. If it starts that way, then I have to assume something went wrong with the start up icon. I've seen some issues where clicking the startup icon will not make the connection to start the program.

Also, does your app reside in one of the Windows "Programs" folders? I avoid those, but I cannot give any evidence of the Windows folder locations as the source of the problem.

On MS forums I see threads that usually end up with a re-install of Windows. I've also experienced just giving the situation some time and watching another Windows update come along that fixes the existing problem. Honestly, I don't know why people in business just assume everything is going to work smoothly by "upgrading" their operating systems. I would buy a second computer, and install my office software on it, before getting rid of the old one. I actually had a dentist who got hammered by going from 98 to XP. None of his office programs functioned for nearly a month. I hope this individual fairs a whole lot better than he did. And to thik I paid cash for my visit. I should have just told him.... Bill me!

Pete