Author Topic: QB64 Game Jam  (Read 17636 times)

Offline qbkiller101

• View Profile
Re: QB64 Game Jam
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 09:56:40 am »
Or is this just a way to collect free games without searching the archives or building them yourself? Are you sure it's not hosted on Scamazon.com?

Pete

This is itch.io and is one of the most famous platforms for game jams,
So please look it up before saying it's a scam

Itch.io is a website for users to host, sell and download indie games. Released in March 2013 by Leaf Corcoran, the service hosts nearly 100,000 games and items as of February 2018. Itch.io also allows users to host game jams, events where participants have limited time to create a game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itch.io

You might've heard of Among Us. It's made there.

A game jam is a contest where participants try to make a video game from scratch. Depending on the format, participants might work independently, or in teams.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_jam

Offline qbkiller101

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 01:33:13 pm »
Only 8 people joined and 4 days left.
I might delay it a week :|

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 01:42:48 pm »
Why itch?

Offline qbkiller101

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 02:38:41 am »
Well, it's one of the best and most popular platforms for hosting game jams.
And games.

Offline qbkiller101

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 05:42:35 am »
Delayed 3 days as only 9 people have joined

Offline Gets

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 03:33:26 pm »
Changing the date won't make much of a difference unless some promotion is done to attract new participants, and it's hard to tell how many QB64 programmers interested in a jam actually exist in the first place.

Offline johannhowitzer

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2021, 04:57:03 pm »
I would also caution against delaying too much.  People often set aside time for game jams, and if you move the schedule, they may have to choose between setting aside even more time, or pulling out.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2021, 05:21:25 pm »
Sure would be nice to if all you had to do in life was put up a minimal information post, and things would go as desired.

In lieu of that...

Polling the community for interest before making plans is advisable.

Post an eye catching invite, followed by a well thought out description, and minimal entry response to hold the event.

Advertise on all gaming and coding platforms, and it is helpful to have other admins, of those forums, onboard with the idea. Networking = less working.

Keep a planned date or cancel. If you don't have enough entries to host it, you probably won't have enough entries by rescheduling it, and you'll also lose entries who cannot make it on the new date, as well as aggravate those who have already made plans to attend on the original date.

Make sure you have a few over whatever minimum need to attend, because 100% show is almost impossible in any event.

Now if there really is no minimum, quit with the rescheduling. Just host it for a smaller than anticipated group, and see how it goes. If it's a hit, the next one will be bigger and better. That's just word of mouth advertising, the best free advertising money isn't needed to buy.

Anyway, just my two-cents on event planning. I've put together several large golf tournaments for over 30 years, so I feel my two-cents are worth every penny.

As far as this event goes, I hope it does take place, is just about fun and profits the participants, rather than just giving code away.

Pete

Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2021, 06:45:39 pm »
Ok I'll try to do something good.
I'm on board now!
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 06:48:39 pm »
Elephant in the room is that there is already a Tic Tac Toe (jam, yuck) taking place. Maybe we should just make that the theme and call the effort salvaged.
You're not done when it works, you're done when it's right.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2021, 07:06:07 pm »
Elephant in the room is that there is already a Tic Tac Toe (jam, yuck) taking place. Maybe we should just make that the theme and call the effort salvaged.

Least LOC or least bytes, AI must always win or draw or must give humans a break once and awhile, honorable mention for most beautiful or clever or imaginative like 5D?

Jam is always better with peanut butter. (yuck, yuck)

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2021, 07:15:26 pm »
I came close to enrolling, @qbkiller101, but my work/gigs are FINALLY starting to pick up again so I decided not to enroll.  Also, I got into  converting my old interpreter/compiler project to QB64, and that took my interest.   I may post a tutorial on doing that soon - it's real easy in QB64 to turn interpreters into bye-code compilers that make EXE's.

I may join the game jam it next time around, because I like make puzzle games.

- Dav 

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2021, 07:16:23 pm »
it's real easy in QB64 to turn interpreters into bye-code compilers that make EXE's.

Really? I'm eager about this one... :-)
You're not done when it works, you're done when it's right.

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2021, 07:17:44 pm »
Really? I'm eager about this one... :-)

Okay, I'll post something soon.

- Dav

Offline qbkiller101

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 02:27:34 am »
I came close to enrolling, @qbkiller101, but my work/gigs are FINALLY starting to pick up again so I decided not to enroll.

No Problem :)