Author Topic: IDE mode error  (Read 3031 times)

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
IDE mode error
« on: November 19, 2020, 11:21:10 am »
I tried to transfer a large program from a USB stick to the C drive in my computer. When I run the program from the C drive I get an error which reads IDE mode error (Module: ide_methods, on line : 8135). The line in question is right in the middle of a Sub which is a sort routine. Running the same program from the USB drive does not trigger the same error. The WIKI doesn't appear to have this error code in the list. I have tried to re-write the offending line to try to make sure it was copied correctly but that didn't work. Any ideas on what the meaning of this error code is and perhaps how I can fix it?
Thanks

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
Re: IDE mode error
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 01:18:31 pm »
WOW 8135 lines in the middle of a SUB....
you must wait Pete or any other professional coder that can write a so huge code. Maybe he has a direct experience of this issue.

If you copy the file with a different short name, can the result change ?
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 01:52:36 pm »
I'm on my way out Tempodi but I give that a try when I get back tomorrow. I did copy the original program using the same name. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 02:15:33 pm »
I'm on my way out Tempodi but I give that a try when I get back tomorrow. I did copy the original program using the same name. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think he's pulling your leg ;-)) because he is having trouble with long names that look like duplicates.

Offline NOVARSEG

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 07:52:55 pm »
Can't see why copying a program would effect how it ran.  And the lack of drive space can't be it because if there is not enough drive space the file wont be copied at all.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 08:48:39 pm »
Just taking a guess off the top of my head, I’d say it’s a file access error.  You may need to check read/write permissions.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Cobalt

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • At 60 I become highly radioactive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 11:13:24 pm »
Yeah, if he popped it onto C: there could be permission issues. Modern OSes these days act like the Führer anymore, not like its 'your' computer or anything you paid for!
Granted after becoming radioactive I only have a half-life!

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 06:32:51 am »
Modern OSes these days act like the Führer anymore, not like its 'your' computer or anything you paid for!

I confirm just IF Modern means at least from 5 years ago.
Time ago you should repair the windows registry and you should cancel all that amount of temp files  to seeing your OS like new!
Now you must pray to the God of OSes... the issue is that if you don't know its name you cannot pray it!
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 08:56:31 am »
If you look in the internal folders, you can find ide_methods.bas.  Going down to line 8134, you’ll see the start of a sub which loads and displays your favorite files (last opened/saved) for you.  The line in question is basically:

OPEN file$ FOR BINARY AS #f

Not much to code incorrectly in that and debug, so the issue has to be folder permissions not allowing for the opening of the file.  Change permissions, or move to a directory with proper read/write permission, and the issue will go away.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 09:35:55 am »
Hi you guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I tried them all. And to bplus and tempodi, as owner of the Brooklyn Bridge and part owner of the Eiffel Tower, I am not a gullible person.

The "permissions" seemed to be set exactly the same when I compared both Settings in my computer and Settings in each of the programs via the "Properties". The only thing which changed, was that I had created a new file to accept the transfer of the program, so I deleted everything that was transfered to the  C drive and started over. This time with a straight copy from the USB stick to the C drive and voila, the error no longer appears when I run the program from the C drive.

I'm still not sure why the IDE mode error was corrected. Thanks again for the help - this solution reminds me of that wise IT advice "Well did you turn it off and on again?"