Author Topic: The Wiki as book  (Read 5229 times)

Offline Kernelpanic

• View Profile
Re: The Wiki as book
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 07:26:45 am »
Simply downloading the wiki and printing it out does not help; I think so. There are simply two important things missing that a real book must have. A real book needs the following:
1. A publisher
2. A dedicated lektor
3. An alphanetical index (!)
4. A table of contents (!)
A book or a printout of the wiki are practically worthless without point 3 & 4. Then the website is really better.
Mark Twain
"Als wir das Ziel endgültig aus den Augen verloren hatten, verdoppelten wir unsere Anstrengungen."
„Having lost sight of our goals, we redoubled our efforts.“

Offline Petr

• Forum Resident
  • The best code is the DNA of the hops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2020, 11:32:24 am »
I went about it differently. Neither book nor wiki. Alphabetical list of all statements and functions (most of old QB4.5), with a short description of what it is used for. (in my language). Then, when I can't remember in a flash, I write what I'm looking for (for example, rounding the integer number up) and the result comes out: CINT.  This is also a good help. I wrote this in excel.

Offline Kernelpanic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2020, 04:22:54 pm »
Yes, that's a good idea, but honestly, it's too much work for me today.
I know Excel. There I list my expenses every month :(
Mark Twain
"Als wir das Ziel endgültig aus den Augen verloren hatten, verdoppelten wir unsere Anstrengungen."

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2020, 09:03:16 pm »
To show an example of a website turned into an ebook, I took two minutes today to download Terry Ritchie's QB64 Game Programming Tutorial (http://www.qb64sourcecode.com/ ) and turned it into an ebook, which you can download below. (Epub and opf file are both available as attachments.)

Also note, since I'm just doing this for a really quick demo (the whole process  of mirroring, importing to Calibre, converting to epub only took about 5 minutes), I didn't bother to download png images and such with my archive.  As you can see from the "Figure 1.png" screen capture below, internal images are missing from the book.  If you want the pretty pictures, and not just the text (or code), then you'll want to be certain to click the proper options to download those when you mirror the website, before converting.

Now, once I have my epub all set to the page sizes, colors, and such that I like for my personal use (most readers have themes and such which you can convert to easily enough), now all I'd have to do is go to a website like The Book Patch, and I can have a copy printed and sent to my house to sit around and gather dust on my coffee table.  (https://www.thebookpatch.com/printondemand/ )

That's all there is to it!  ;)

https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Kernelpanic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 05:43:00 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I have just downloaded the complete e-book and Calibre, and converted it into a pdf file. Terry Ritchie's book is a very good job indeed; my first impression. And that's my opinion too:
"Personally, I'm hoping that as the author of this work, Terry will take a look at this topic and decide, "Hey, why don't I take that final step and make this a published work?"  If he does, he can actually earn some $$ for each sale of the book from Amazon Publishing, or The Book Patch -- and, in my opinion, he deserves to earn a little extra coffee money for writing such a nice gaming guide for use with QB64. "

I only have one (small) problem: a lot of text in yellow on blue. Is there a way to change that, for example in light gray?
Mark Twain

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2020, 05:51:57 pm »
I only have one (small) problem: a lot of text in yellow on blue. Is there a way to change that, for example in light gray?

My personal color schemes are often very high contrast, or odd like that, just as a habit I got into for my daughter’s bad vision.  Usually, unless you’re viewing a saved image, you can change background colors, themes, and such in your e-book reader.  The screenshots above are what I tend to keep mine in, but you should be able to set yours to whatever you prefer.

If worst comes to worst, change the epub extension to zip (all an epub is, is a glorified zip folder) and edit the files inside to suit your tastes.  They’re not hard to manipulate or change, at all.  ;D
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Kernelpanic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2020, 07:07:21 pm »
Ok, thanks! I will see what I can do.
Mark Twain

Offline EricE

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2020, 01:29:59 am »
A qb64 chm help file would allow quick lookup of topics.

FreeBasic had (and still does) a chm help file that I found useful when I was writing programs in that language.