Author Topic: Old school text based GUI library?  (Read 4068 times)

Offline Leeroy

• View Profile
Old school text based GUI library?
« on: July 06, 2018, 08:25:48 am »
G'day All

First up i am a new member here.  I did a lot of hobby programming in QB PDS 7.0  back in the early to mid 90's, but have been well out of touch since then.. 
I have recently undertaken an electronics project of building a TTL logic breadboard computer and needed a simple way of generating the ROM microcode for the instruction decoder.  I was pleasantly surprised to see QB is still alive and well and has been updated to run on Windows systems. I was able to use QB64 to generate the binary files to load into the EEPROMs for my computer.
My breadboard computer is up and running and I am now in the process of writing an assembler IDE to make it easier to program. I'm currently writing the assembler programs in notepad and then converting the instructions to machine code by hand..   

So onto my main question..
Back in the 90's i found a fantastic set of libraries for creating programs with a text based GUI front end. It worked on QB 4.5 and up.  It could do pull down menus, text boxes with sliders etc etc in basically the same style as the QB64 IDE is now.. 
Can anyone point me to anything similar that's compatible with QB64?   
I did find a few libraries online that were originally for QB 4.5 but i couldn't get them to run. I can't figure out how to include the .lib files.  Back in QB 4.5 you could load the library via  the command line. IE "qb.exe /L library.lib"  however this does not appear to work on QB64..

So can anyone offer some guidance or advice on a suitable GUI library? 

Many thanks

Lee

FellippeHeitor

Re: Old school text based GUI library?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 05:07:05 pm »
Hi, Leeroy and welcome to the forum.

We can't indeed use old .lib or .qlb files with QB64, only text includes (or actual DLL files or Linux static libraries)

If you want a ui library for QB64 and aren't adamant about it being text-based, try InForm: www.qb64.org/inform
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 06:15:36 pm by odin »

Offline keybone

• Forum Regular
  • My name a Nursultan Tulyakbay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 03:15:17 am »
G'day All

First up i am a new member here.  I did a lot of hobby programming in QB PDS 7.0  back in the early to mid 90's, but have been well out of touch since then.. 
I have recently undertaken an electronics project of building a TTL logic breadboard computer and needed a simple way of generating the ROM microcode for the instruction decoder.  I was pleasantly surprised to see QB is still alive and well and has been updated to run on Windows systems. I was able to use QB64 to generate the binary files to load into the EEPROMs for my computer.
My breadboard computer is up and running and I am now in the process of writing an assembler IDE to make it easier to program. I'm currently writing the assembler programs in notepad and then converting the instructions to machine code by hand..   

So onto my main question..
Back in the 90's i found a fantastic set of libraries for creating programs with a text based GUI front end. It worked on QB 4.5 and up.  It could do pull down menus, text boxes with sliders etc etc in basically the same style as the QB64 IDE is now.. 
Can anyone point me to anything similar that's compatible with QB64?   
I did find a few libraries online that were originally for QB 4.5 but i couldn't get them to run. I can't figure out how to include the .lib files.  Back in QB 4.5 you could load the library via  the command line. IE "qb.exe /L library.lib"  however this does not appear to work on QB64..

So can anyone offer some guidance or advice on a suitable GUI library? 

Many thanks

Lee

Maybe it's somewhere on this list: http://qbasicgui.datacomponents.net/

Mostly graphical but I believe there might be something text mode on there. Hope this helps...
I am from a Kazakhstan, we follow the hawk.

Offline Leeroy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 12:36:36 am »

Thanks for the replies guys.. 

I ended up  just biting the bullet and writing enough code to do what i needed in terms of the GUI.. 

Not that it will be of much interest to most, but 'll post op the code when it's finished..

Cheers
Leeroy

Offline freetrav

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 02:50:05 pm »
Not that it will be of much interest to most, but 'll post op the code when it's finished...
.. at least one person is interested in this .. and that's me!
«AOL!»