Author Topic: need help for qb64 - antivirus interfering with compilation  (Read 1780 times)

Offline badger

• Forum Regular
need help for qb64 - antivirus interfering with compilation
« on: October 24, 2020, 07:04:10 pm »
Hello

When i try to compile code any code qb64 will lock up to ware i need to use the task manager to shut it down. I can type code but i cant compile or run it. It says starting program but that is all it does. All other software runs as expected and the windows 10 is a rather new install.

Badger

Thanks in advance for all help

fresh install of windows 10 on a ryzen 7 3800x 8 core cpu on an asrock motherboard. 32gb of memory 7 tb of hard drive space with an 800w power supply running 3gb envidia geforce gtx 1030 with 3 24 inch monitors.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 07:58:19 pm by odin »

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • GitHub
Re: need help for qb64
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 07:05:17 pm »
@badger Are you running QB64 in a folder that is being synced to the cloud? OneDrive, Google Drive, etc?
Shuwatch!

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 07:05:52 pm »
Also, where did you unpack your qb64 folder? Some folders have restricted permissions.

Offline badger

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 07:09:32 pm »
Hello

No cloud drives i dont like to use anything like that. I am using it in my home folder c:\users\sureshot\jbridal is ware it is being used. I was using it just fine it just started doing this yesterday. I have 2 instances of qb64 runing one using some test code the other my software. i could compile my software but the other window would lock up now it just locks up. i have rebooted and all. is there any files in the zip library that can be corrupted doing this.

Badger

Offline badger

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 07:16:27 pm »
Hello

I run the paid version of avast it comes up and checks each time i run something i just live with that. I have qb64 on its ignore list. could that be locking up qb64 on compile and run

Badger

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 07:17:14 pm »
Yes. You need to whitelist all your qb64 folder and subfolders contents, not only qb64.exe.

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • GitHub
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 07:18:47 pm »
Hello

I run the paid version of avast it comes up and checks each time i run something i just live with that. I have qb64 on its ignore list. could that be locking up qb64 on compile and run

Badger
Ah, yeah, reminds me of when I would code on my work PC. We used Bitdefender and it always false-flagged the QB64 directory.
Shuwatch!

Offline badger

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 07:36:02 pm »
Hello

Thanks guys i will do that and see if it makes a difference I will get back to you on that my not be tonight but i will get back to you

Badger

Offline badger

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 07:54:53 pm »
Hello

that seems to be the problem i add all the folders and such to avast's exclude list and now i can compile and run programs..

Thanks guys for your quick help

Badger

Offline Kernelpanic

Re: need help for qb64 - antivirus interfering with compilation
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 10:09:48 pm »
Why are you using an external program like Avast? Windows Defender is totally OK, and it's free.
Mark Twain
"Als wir das Ziel endgültig aus den Augen verloren hatten, verdoppelten wir unsere Anstrengungen."
„Having lost sight of our goals, we redoubled our efforts.“

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • GitHub
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 10:12:08 pm »
Why are you using an external program like Avast? Windows Defender is totally OK, and it's free.

Sometimes external programs do add more features for security. Some people also have preference.
Shuwatch!

Offline Kernelpanic

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 09:15:25 am »
If someone is interested: https://www.trojaner-board.de/

It's in German, but you can translate the page in English; I do it sometimes  too with pages in English to German because my English is not so well.
Mark Twain
"Als wir das Ziel endgültig aus den Augen verloren hatten, verdoppelten wir unsere Anstrengungen."
„Having lost sight of our goals, we redoubled our efforts.“

Offline badger

• Forum Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 08:07:48 pm »
Hello

I bought avast for a reason. I usally use there free versions which is enough but i now have a public ip address and i run through a vpn but i wanted the extra coverage that the paid version of avast gives me.

Badger