Author Topic: QuickBasic and FullScreen  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Timbergetter

• View Profile
QuickBasic and FullScreen
« on: October 03, 2020, 12:52:02 am »
I was doing quite a bit of QuickBasic programming during the 1990s but this all faded away when computers moved to 64 bit processing and programs moved to GUI.  I have just now discovered the QB64 world and have a sudden desire to resurrect some of my old programs.  The programs are multi file packages and use libraries that I had developed so I am thinking that I will need to spend some time within QuickBasic re-acquainting myself with how the programs worked and doing some massaging to get the code ready for a port to QB64.  I would really like to do this preparatory work with QuickBasic in a full screen mode.  I thought I used to do this with Windows 98, but my attempts now to do this with Windows 98 SE as a VM in Vmware Player have not yet resulted in a full screen mode.  I am hoping that someone might be able to offer advice on how to get QuickBasic IDE running fullscreen on a Player guest OS of some description.  My host OS is Ubuntu 20.04.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
Re: QuickBasic and FullScreen
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 01:19:52 am »
Have you looked into running QuickBASIC in DOSBox?

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline Timbergetter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 05:00:35 am »
No Pete, I  haven’t.  I’ve never used DOSBox but I’ll certainly give it a try if you think it has prospect.

Offline Timbergetter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 06:13:13 am »
Update:
DOSBox seems to do everything l am needing with fullscreen.  Many thanks for the pointer Pete.
DOSBox appears to be a better solution than doing it in Player.  I should now be able to toggle between QuickBasic and the VM containing QB64.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 06:20:36 am by Timbergetter »

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 11:57:41 am »
Glad it worked out for you.

Pete

He doesn't often code in QBasic, but when he does, he uses DOSBox.
He is, the most interesting programmer on the forum!

Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/