Author Topic: Feature Request: Ability to switch default fonts in IDE  (Read 4310 times)

Offline manstersoft

• View Profile
    • My Games
Feature Request: Ability to switch default fonts in IDE
« on: July 10, 2020, 07:36:17 pm »
In an older version of QB64 there was a glitch that I used frequently. When you'd click on the ASCII chart it would shrink the font into a square font (_FONT 8 instead of the default _FONT 16).

I'd like a way to toggle between _FONT 8 and _FONT 16 in the IDE. I do a lot of ASCII art and I also use _FONT 8 within my programs.

----
Unrelated, but I hadn't logged into the forum since the .net days, so I was really baffled when the login kept telling me "User doesn't exist".

FellippeHeitor

Re: Feature Request: Ability to switch default fonts in IDE
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 07:43:28 pm »
Hi there! In the most recent versions you can go to Options->Display and choose "Use _FONT 8":

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

Offline manstersoft

• View Profile
    • My Games
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 07:56:52 pm »
Oh jeez, I could have sworn I was up-to-date!
Gah, delete this thread.

Offline Cobalt

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • At 60 I become highly radioactive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 04:00:52 pm »
Unrelated, but I hadn't logged into the forum since the .net days, so I was really baffled when the login kept telling me "User doesn't exist".

yeah .ORG is a deferent beast from .NET.
Granted after becoming radioactive I only have a half-life!

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 07:13:43 pm »
On the topic of fonts, this website was again brought to my attention on Twitter by @caglartoklu this week: https://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/fontlist/

Highly recommended free old school PC fonts. These work great with QB64. See below Px437_IBM_CGA.ttf from the package, at 16px tall:

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 07:18:58 pm »
And here's one of my favorites from the package, Px437_AmstradPC1512-2y.ttf:

Offline Richard Frost

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Needle nardle noo. - Peter Sellers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 02:33:22 am »
Foolishly following the footsteps of the great, I changed the font to some Olde English one, and then couldn't even read
Options: Display to change it back.  Fortunately, the QB64 subdirectory and file names are logical, and it was easy to find \qb64\internal\config.txt to edit it. 

It works better if you plug it in.

Offline manstersoft

• View Profile
    • My Games
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 02:43:14 pm »
On the topic of fonts, this website was again brought to my attention on Twitter by @caglartoklu this week: https://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/fontlist/
Great link, Filippe, thanks for that.

I think you also introduced me to the font "Perfect DOS VGA 437" a while back, so thanks for that as well.
For anyone interested: https://www.dafont.com/perfect-dos-vga-437.font

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 05:42:19 pm »
I have tried the "font 8", for me, too small. I really hate squinting... lol
"Custom" Monotype - imho - Puts the ug in ugly... lol

I have tried various ttf's and none of them work. I used to have an Amstrad and was looking forward to the font *sigh*

The default "ttf" is "lucon". (c:\windows\fonts\lucon.ttf) which does not exist. (so which font is being used?) I am using the Linux version of 1.4 and surprised to see that the ttf filename has a windows source directory... I even modified the internal config.txt file to point QB64 to a different ttf. QB64 started with the "lucon"... I am not complaining about lucon. I'm just pointing out that I cannot change to 'any' ttf... I miss my old Amstrad.

Is this another "Linux thing"?

ps: After editing the config.txt file, to point to another ttf, the config.txt file was restored to its original... huh?

... and yes. The config.txt file is configured for Read/Write by root AND user and Read Only to all others.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 05:56:31 pm by johnno56 »
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 06:42:43 pm »
@johnno56

To cover all the bases, did you happen to put an x at Custom Font?

And I suppose the font is easiest found in the main QB64 Folder without needing a path.

And I have to say, like R Frost, be careful what you wish for. I tried Arial and really couldn't get it to play as nice as default font.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:44:13 pm by bplus »

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 06:44:48 pm »

As bplus said, you gotta check the "custom font" box and specify the path of the font file you wanna use. I put the fonts I use in the IDE in my qb64 folder, so I don't have to pass a path.

The reference to Lucida Console is just a default fallback path, which does not consider non-Windows systems, since the fonts may be anywhere in those.

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 07:07:19 pm »
Well, if I believed in the Evolutionary process, I would be a monkey's uncle... lol

Guess who thought that checking "Custom Font" implied the display would be mono spaced, not that the font chosen needs to be mono spaced? No prizes for guessing... *sigh*

I am going to blame the absence of caffeine as my seeming lapse in concentration; eye and hand co-ordination and reasoning... I could have said that the cat ran across my keyboard... But, 'that' would be a lie, as we don't own a cat...

"Custom Font" has 'now' been checked and the correct file-path has been entered. I now have ye olde 8 bit style chunky font... Cool...

Thanks for the assistance guys... Oh. I think I have a Klingon font somewhere... I wonder....

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 08:32:23 pm »
I find this font, for me anyway, easy enough on the eyes....

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 09:08:23 pm »
@johnno56 that does look pretty good.

My experiments usually have a font 2X's wider than default or so skinny the lines are irregular.

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 10:17:47 pm »
I have deliberately collected a bunch of Mono fonts for testing. So far, Lucon and DejaVu, seem to be the best for me... and I DID find my klingon.ttf and it worked! One tiny drawback... I have not learned how to read Klingon yet! Good thing the config.txt was there... Unable to read all the menu titles... lol

A lot of the Mono fonts seem to cater for the alpha / numerics (which look ok) but the 'extended' characters (like the ones uses in the slide bars) only show up as either hollow rectangles or question marks. Still looking.