Author Topic: Installing qb64 on a raspberry pi 3B  (Read 2211 times)

Offline helium5793

• View Profile
Installing qb64 on a raspberry pi 3B
« on: May 11, 2020, 08:59:55 pm »
I followed these directions first which you have probably seen:

I Installed QB64 on a RaspberryPi 3 B
                                                                                         Quote       
                                           Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:53 pm
                    I started with installing the library's from the setup_lnx.sh for Debian.
Code: Select all

ls
sudo apt-get install g++ libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-net1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl1.2-devI then came across this post at the QB64 Forum http://www.[abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there]/forum/index.php?topic=13926.0 

That indicated to change and add to top of the file qb64/internal/c/common.h Code: Select all
#define QB64_NOT_X86I then did ./setup_lnx.sh and it took in the order of 10 mins to complete with no errors.
Ran a simple program and it was ok.           

This did not work for me at first.  It would start to install and then crash after several minutes.     

I had installed xfce and it has a panel app that shows CPU use, memory use, and swap use.  I could see that when it crashed it had run out of memory and swap space.  I then found this link for increasing swap space.           

https://www.bitpi.co/2015/02/11/how-to-change-raspberry-pis-swapfile-size-on-rasbian/

If you follow these directions you can increase the swap space.  The pi above had 1GB of memory, and 100mb of swap as the default.  I raised it to 1024MB of swap and it installed for over an hour and then crashed, again out of swap space.  I increased the swap space to 2048MB and it installed successfully in a few minutes.  If you are not familiar with swap space, it is what the computer uses when it runs out of memory.  Basically it is a file on whatever you are using as a harddrive, in my case a 32GB usb stick.  It runs slower than memory, but gets the installation done.   
John