Author Topic: What's going on here?  (Read 4982 times)

FellippeHeitor

Re: What's going on here?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 11:29:52 pm »
Technically, yes.

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 07:10:15 am »
the view histories, which Qwerky is so fixed to
These days, you've got to get obsessed with something to distract your mind from Covid-19!

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 12:06:06 pm »
These days, you've got to get obsessed with something to distract your mind from Covid-19!

I distract myself from Covid-19, by calling it the Wuhan Virus.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 12:23:00 pm »
I understand your trauma of having had your mods to [banned user]'s bits lost in the tantrum, but this feels a bit extreme 😅😅

I am not traumatized by loosing my mods in [banned user] threads, I am concerned about all the good that is destroyed by a fit of anger.

Offline Cobalt

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • At 60 I become highly radioactive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 12:44:32 pm »
I distract myself from Covid-19, by calling it the Wuhan Virus.
Pete

"Chinco Virus"!

I am not traumatized by loosing my mods in [banned user] threads, I am concerned about all the good that is destroyed by a fit of anger.

I have to agree with B+ on that.
Granted after becoming radioactive I only have a half-life!

Offline _vince

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 01:29:06 pm »

If you go to your forum profile and 'Show Posts' you can still see all your old posts in CH threads even though clicking on them leads to nowhere.  I'd go through that and save any lost bits of code if you have it.  I don't understand why CH wasn't just plain ignored, totally unnecessary even if he did have a legal argument, as if anything would've be done

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2020, 01:42:10 pm »
You guys are probably right about not deleting his junk, purely out of principle, for I know it's not because of the substance or goals buried in his posts.

Maybe the terminology of our fine print was a bit constraining. It won't happen this way again. Consider your principle principal argument won bplus.

Still though, we didn't really lose shit.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:15:10 pm by STxAxTIC »
You're not done when it works, you're done when it's right.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 02:24:07 pm »
Turn the clock back 20 years to QBF, do this, and you'd have an all out war on your hands. I'm glad to see things are a lot less dramatic these days. To help handle these types of matters, after Mac passed, I decided to make a non-public forum I called Quarantine. If some posts got out of hand, I'd just move those threads there. Everything was preserved, it just wasn't public anymore. If anyone said, "Hey Pete, I had something important in all that removed stuff!" Well, I could go in and retrieve it. Maybe call it Murphy's Law, but just by having that non-public forum, I was never asked to retrieve anything.

Forum owners vs regulars: Yeah, this is an age old problem. It boils down to you can't please all of the regulars all of the time, most of the time, well basically, any of the time. Every time you float an idea, especially multi-phased ones, you run an increased risk of community dissension. Push it too far, and you have factions, with no clear majority support from anybody. That never happened to me, because that wasn't my first rodeo. Hey, anybody knows to get real wisdom, you don't climb up a mountain, apparently you just keep attending rodeos. Anyway this reminds me of the old joke about a camel is a horse a committee put together.

Personally, I love living in a republic, but that's a hard way to run an online community. A full on authoritarian model was more forgiving, back in the day. If fell out of love, or out of favor, with one QBasic forum, you just bounced your ASCII  to another one. That's just not possible these days; so, if [banned user] makes his way back to discuss QB64, post code, etc., I have no problem with that. I mean he didn't personally trash the hell out of someone, or threaten anyone, or did I miss something?

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/