Author Topic: SOLVED - Linux IDE Display Font Size  (Read 2264 times)

Offline granzeier

• View Profile
SOLVED - Linux IDE Display Font Size
« on: April 11, 2020, 04:54:54 pm »
I would really like to try QB64, but the IDE is so small that I cannot see it well enough.
I set the display width and height to 80X25, but the font size is tiny, and I cannot figure out how to change it. I have searched, and the responses that I have found have all been less than useful.

I click on Custom Font in the Display Options window, and change the Row Height (that is the font size, am I correct?) but it never saves the change when I click OK. Is that because the Lucom font can only handle a size of 21?

The font File Name field has a name of lucom.ttf (I searched my hard drive for that file name, but it is not there,) but there is no way to select another font - I have to type the entire path and file name into the field. How do I choose another font, since I do not know what fonts are available.

Also, my Linux system QB64 is showing a Windows path name for the font - Linux does not have a C: drive! I have also been unable to find the correct path for the fonts, so that I can check which fonts are there, or add new fonts. Shouldn't the Linux version have a Linux path name?

Can anyone help me?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 07:26:11 am by granzeier »

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Linux IDE Display Font Size
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 05:30:38 pm »
Hi granzeier
on my old HP Celeron I have mounted a duoalboot with default Kubuntu 14.06

in this system the path of fonts true tye is this

///usr/share/fonts/truetype/
using 
abyssinica/AbyssinicaSIL-R.ttf
  and using 80x25 I've  got a QB64IDE that covers half of the screen

while using
dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf
and using 80x25 I've got a QB64IDE that covers a quarter of the screen

with some tries you'll get the desidered aspect.
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline granzeier

• View Profile
Re: Linux IDE Display Font Size
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 07:25:21 am »
TempodiBasic,

Thank you, that did it.

The fonts on my Linux Mint system are in the same location - no surprise since both of our systems derive from Ubuntu. The first font (AbyssinicaSIL-R,) on my system, is apparently missing some of the boxy line-drawing characters and all of the lines around the outside of the main code window were small boxes. But, the DejaVu font looks good. I boosted the Row Height up to 30, and it takes up just a bit less than my full screen - just like I used to use with TurboBASIC -my tired ol' eyes love it.

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
Re: SOLVED - Linux IDE Display Font Size
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 10:48:11 am »
Fine to know  that it works also for you!

Good Coding

PostScriptum:
TurboBasic... that of Borland or another?

Offline granzeier

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 10:04:08 am »
Fine to know  that it works also for you!

Good Coding

PostScriptum:
TurboBasic... that of Borland or another?
Borland's BASIC. Now that you mention it, I do remember another TurboBASIC (was it Atari?)

I was a database application programmer (FoxPro) for a company which did financial consulting for hospitals. We would get data from our client hospitals on 9-track tape, and had a data service convert it to QIC-80, using my personal portable tape drive. I then used Borland TurboBASIC to take the data from the hospital's database and massage it into DBF files which our FoxPro programs could then read.

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 05:46:10 pm »
Borland TurboBasic 1.0
I found a copy in the first decad of XXI century,
I found intersting the assembler inline, the very fast compiling time, but also the absence absolute of Help about keywords and statement in the help online. Moreover its interface was very ancient without mouse support, only keyboard!
I posted in this forum a porting (I must change only few lines of code) of the example of Tower of Hanoi.

https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=1109.msg103157#msg103157