Author Topic: System Requirements  (Read 3236 times)

Offline pforpond

• I am me
    • View Profile
System Requirements
« on: March 29, 2020, 12:45:02 pm »
Just because it wasn't on the wiki and I'm curious...

What are the oldest versions of macOS and Linux that can run the latest QB64? :)
Loading Signature...

FellippeHeitor

Re: System Requirements
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 12:51:15 pm »
I've been using QB64 on my Mac Mini since Mountain Lion, so it should probably be safe to consider that as a starting version. However, as new macOS versions came out, we did adaptations to QB64, so I can't attest it will still work flawlessly as far back as Mountain Lion.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:54:04 pm by FellippeHeitor »

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 12:53:46 pm »
Just because it wasn't on the wiki and I'm curious...

What are the oldest versions of macOS and Linux that can run the latest QB64? :)

No idea from me for linux/Mac, but I know QB64 works all the way back with Windows XP.  When I was making some changes to allow console font capabilities in windows, the functions I used were from Vista up, and had several XP users upset they couldn't use the latest version, so the changes were undone.

Windows XP works (for certain), and I *think* Windows 2000 and Windows 98 will work as well...  Windows versions older than that require some manual alteration before working, however.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 12:55:03 pm »
XP is the oldest one to work with no changes, I believe.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 05:39:08 pm »
In regard to Windows platforms. Yes, I used to run the QB64 SDL version on my XP and I would suspect the latest version of QB64 would still run on XP. Now n regard to Win 98; somewhere in the production of the SDL version, Galleon stopped support for Windows 98. It had something to do with some sort of difficulty he was running into where he would have had to duplicate certain new additions to QB64 to work on 98 and XP. I recall I used to run some of the earliest versions of QB64 SDL on my Win 98 but after the version update I had to switch and start using my new XP.

I recall when Mircosoft was just getting started, and they were looking for ideas to name their OS. Back then, they were thinking along the lines of names that would indicate a stable platform that would deliver accurate response in any and all situations. They were entertaining names like "Microsoft Level" and "Microsoft Plum." In keeping with that theme, I submitted my entry of Microsoft Flush... but to this day, I've never heard back. Oh well.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 06:30:38 pm »
Joining in to stroll down memory lane with Windows...I used QB64 SDL in Win XP and Win 2000 PC for a long time.  I think v0.954 broke compatibility, but mcalkins figured out a work-a-round, so with his help I was able to maintain a Win2k compatible QB64 IDE for a few versions after.  I do recall some people said they used earlier QB64 versions on Win98, but I don't recall what version it was, my memory lane has a pot hole there.   

- Dav