Author Topic: Render bug on macOS Catalina  (Read 3439 times)

Offline pforpond

• I am me
    • View Profile
Render bug on macOS Catalina
« on: December 13, 2019, 05:52:59 am »
Heya! Any word on whether this can be fixed on MacOS Catalina? Or is this an Apple issue? :)
Loading Signature...

FellippeHeitor

Re: Render bug on macOS Catalina
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 06:30:10 am »
That render issue first appeared on macOS Mojave, due to Apple's changes to their version of OpenGL/Freeglut. That got solved with Mojave .3

Then Catalina came along, and I kept on upgrading it with every beta release. All looked good and was working fine for me.

It still is. I'm on the official version now.

The great problem here is: people who've upgraded straight to the stable version of Catalina are getting the issue. I can't seem to identify what's causing it for now.

A few people have sent me their QB64 binaries to test on my machine and, to my surprise, they worked normally, without the render issue.

It is a mystery.

What display do you have? Is it retina? The issue has to do with HiDPI.

Offline pforpond

• I am me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 06:55:15 am »
What display do you have? Is it retina? The issue has to do with HiDPI.

Thank you for your reply :) I believe my display is retina and is currently set at the default resolution. More details in the screenshot attached.

An interesting thing I have noticed is that projects compiled in previous versions of macOS (and possibly previous versions of QB64?) do not have the issue. The binary for my previous game was compiled under High Sierra I think but appears to work just fine.
Loading Signature...

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 07:02:38 am »
Moment of appreciation for Mystery of Robot Planet.

From High Sierra to Mojave I used to experience the same inconsistency. Apps compiled before the upgrade didn't present the issue, apps compiled in Mojave did.

But now, after having run a binary transferred from a Catalina machine to mine, no recompilation, and having it not display the issue as well - that was baffling.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 07:04:08 am »
What happens if you Alt+Enter on the IDE? does it fill the screen and use only a quarter of it too?

Offline pforpond

• I am me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 07:43:09 am »
Moment of appreciation for Mystery of Robot Planet.
Thank you :) hopefully development on it can resume sometime when I have my new engine complete.

What happens if you Alt+Enter on the IDE? does it fill the screen and use only a quarter of it too?
Same thing happens, the app goes fullscreen but the content is still squashed into the bottom left.
Loading Signature...

Offline pforpond

• I am me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 02:39:22 am »
Something I've recently noticed which might be useful... the bug stops when the window gets big enough to vertically fill my screen. A good workaround for the time being and hopefully something that helps narrow down the issue for those developing QB64. :)
Loading Signature...

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 02:48:57 am »
Oh!! That's new. Thanks for sharing.