Author Topic: Idiot's guide to compiling...?  (Read 3229 times)

Offline MWheatley

• View Profile
Idiot's guide to compiling...?
« on: May 17, 2019, 11:37:55 am »
It's years since I compiled anything with QB64 -- I normally just run or edit in the IDE.  But a forthcoming move to a 64-bit machine means that it will be easier to have programs pre-compiled, as they rarely change.  Some of them were last updated several years ago.

So I could use a reminder on what to do.

Under "run" in the IDE the option "Output EXE to source folder" doesn't seem to do anything.

"Make EXE only" simply produces a gcc error that takes me around in a loop, needing Task Manager to execute a forced halt.

I'm running on a 32-bit machine, with QB64 1.3.

Malcolm

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
Re: Idiot's guide to compiling...?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 01:00:14 pm »
I'm on a 64-bit machine, and I don't experience those problems. I wonder if this is some incompatibility you stumbled upon, since you are running on a 32-bit machine? Hopefully, others will chime in to share their experiences.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 01:30:07 pm »
Hi Malcolm,

Is your version 32 bit or 64 bit? QB64.org homepage offers 1.3 for both.

Offline MWheatley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 04:59:33 pm »
I see from my download history that I downloaded both versions.  I often do this, as I also have 64-bit machines.

The present 32-bit machine is my main machine, though.

Is there any way to tell from the IDE, or anywhere else, which version I installed?

I can't think of a reason why I would install the 64-bit version on a 32-bit machine, but -- hey -- mistakes happen.

Malcolm

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 06:09:59 pm »
My 64 bit version has numbers, Git 96937f0, in IDE Menu Help > About

If worse comes to worse, just download the sure 32 bit version.

Offline MWheatley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 10:30:12 am »
Mine has the same Git number.  The title bar, though, proclaims it as "QB64 x32", I've just noticed.

That presumably means 32-bit?

Screenshot attached.

Malcolm

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 11:31:13 am »

Offline MWheatley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 01:32:15 pm »
I've done a bit more experimentation.

With QB64 v1.2, everything works as it always did -- I can start and run programs (from the Run menu), and make EXE files to run separately on a standalone basis.

With QB64 v1.3, I can do neither.  I get the message in the attached image, which takes me into a loop from which Task Manager is the only way out.

Malcolm

Offline Raven_Singularity

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 09:57:30 pm »
Check your anti-virus/anti-malware apps to see if they are blocking the compile.  Real viruses often recompile themselves to avoid detection, so the virus apps often look for apps recompiling.  You can usually add an exception for individual exe file, such as QB64's exe.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 10:04:47 pm »
Check your anti-virus/anti-malware apps to see if they are blocking the compile.  Real viruses often recompile themselves to avoid detection, so the virus apps often look for apps recompiling.  You can usually add an exception for individual exe file, such as QB64's exe.

I would guess this is the problem as well.  You may have whitelisted version 1.2 in the past, or the folder it’s in, and your antivirus ignores it and lets it work; while version 1.3 is now being blocked/quarantined again.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline MWheatley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 08:30:59 am »
I would guess this is the problem as well.  You may have whitelisted version 1.2 in the past, or the folder it’s in, and your antivirus ignores it and lets it work; while version 1.3 is now being blocked/quarantined again.

Version 1.2 wasn't whitelisted (and I didn't remember whitelisting it, either).  But version 1.3 is whitelisted now.

Later today I will test it.

Malcolm

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 09:11:04 am »
Version 1.2 wasn't whitelisted (and I didn't remember whitelisting it, either).  But version 1.3 is whitelisted now.

Later today I will test it.

Malcolm

It's a good idea to whitelist the whole QB64 folder instead of only qb64.exe.

Offline MWheatley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 03:17:40 pm »
It's a good idea to whitelist the whole QB64 folder instead of only qb64.exe.

Done that; didn't make any difference.  Gimme a day or so -- I can try on a 64-bit machine.

Malcolm