Author Topic: Feature request for SCREEN function  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Raven_Singularity

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Feature request for SCREEN function
« on: April 10, 2019, 11:56:37 pm »
The following code works, it returns "H" as the character at 1, 1 coordinates:

Code: QB64: [Select]
  1. SCREEN _NEWIMAGE(1920, 1080, 256)
  2. PRINT "Hello"
  3. PRINT "ASCII Value ="; SCREEN(1, 1, 0)
  4. PRINT "Character found at 1, 1 is: "; CHR$(SCREEN(1, 1, 0))

If the screen mode is changed to 32bit, the function fails:

1. SCREEN _NEWIMAGE(1920, 1080, 32)
  2. PRINT "Hello"
  3. PRINT "ASCII Value ="; SCREEN(1, 1, 0)

This returns ASCII character 219 (solid block character), instead of 72 ("H").
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 02:49:07 am by Raven_Singularity »

FellippeHeitor

Re: Feature request for SCREEN function
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 12:16:19 am »
Recognizing text on screen with SCREEN in graphics mode is kind of a bonus in QB64 as it used to be unreliable back in QBasic days. It does work much better now but 32-bit gets the algorithm confused because black isn't 0 in 32bit mode, it's actually 4278190080. If the background is black with 0 alpha (which is actually 0), then SCREEN() works as expected:

1. SCREEN _NEWIMAGE(1920, 1080, 32)
  2. COLOR , 0
  3. PRINT "Hello"
  4. PRINT "ASCII Value ="; SCREEN(1, 1, 0)
  5. PRINT "Character found at 1, 1 is: "; CHR$(SCREEN(1, 1, 0))

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 12:19:20 am »
You will notice it also fails in any graphics mode if the bg isn't black:

1. SCREEN _NEWIMAGE(1920, 1080, 256)
  2. COLOR 0, 15
  3. PRINT "Hello"
  4. PRINT "ASCII Value ="; SCREEN(1, 1, 0)
  5. PRINT "Character found at 1, 1 is: "; CHR$(SCREEN(1, 1, 0))

The above returns 32, even though it should be 72.

Now it still works in SCREEN 0 even though colors are used - that's because in SCREEN 0 the actual ASCII code is stored in that position in memory, not a plot of it.

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:49:52 am »
This is strictly about checking the ASCII character in 32bit mode, not about checking colour values at all.  SCREEN(1, 1, 0)

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 12:52:01 am »
Interestingly, I'm only talking about checking the ASCII character. The mention of color values is to indicate how they affect ASCII character detection. Please read it again.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 01:47:44 am »
It's times like this I wish .net was still accessible. We had a good discussion about this, when I was working on my GUI. That was my first and only graphics program. I used SCREEN 12 and everything was fine in black background with white characters, but when I tried a text highlighting, with COLOR 7, 1 oops! CHR$(219) was returned by SCREEN() statement.

1. COLOR 7, 1
  2. PRINT "Hello"
  3. PRINT "ASCII Value ="; SCREEN(1, 1, 0); " Color Value ="; SCREEN(1, 1, 1)
  7. COLOR 7, 1
  8. PRINT "Hello"
  9. PRINT "ASCII Value ="; SCREEN(1, 1, 0); " Color Value ="; SCREEN(1, 1, 1)
  10. PRINT "Character found at 1, 1 is: "; CHR$(SCREEN(1, 1, 0))
  13. COLOR 7, 0
  14. PRINT "Hello"
  15. PRINT "ASCII Value ="; SCREEN(1, 1, 0); " Color Value ="; SCREEN(1, 1, 1)
  16. PRINT "Character found at 1, 1 is: "; CHR$(SCREEN(1, 1, 0))

So it should report color 23, but instead reports color 1 and CHR$(219). We can see in SCREEN 0, it reports it as color 23, which is correct. Now if I lost the highlighting and put the background back to black, it word.. example 3, above.

I can't recall if I fiddled with the Palette statement to get around that, but I think I just made a memory map. Anyway, bummer I can't access that thread anymore.

Pete
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 02:23:55 am by Pete »
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 02:12:06 am »
I have re-read everything, but I still don't understand it.

The SCREEN() function lets you request colours or ASCII characters.  Why does the background colour affect requesting ASCII characters?  Your code does work, but I don't get why it is behaving that way, or why it would be a desirable way for SCREEN() to function in QB64.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 02:27:58 am »
In screen 0, the SCREEN function simply returns the ascii code stored in the specified position.

In graphic modes, SCREEN compares the pixels that make up a character on screen against the pixels that make up every character in the ascii table. When a match is found, the ascii code is returned and the function exits.

The character on screen is read internally using POINT.

Galleon wrote it so that the check done is "is this pixel non-black?"

Then it only works in graphics mode on text printed with black background. Or black with 0 alpha in 32bit mode.

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 02:31:26 am »
QB64 already records the current FG and BG text colours, couldn't it be using those?

It seems pretty arbitrary to require a specific background colour, and limiting for app developers to be forced to use a black background.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 02:36:28 am »
Easy in theory. Then we'd have a current FG and BG set, but user requests the ascii code of a position previously printed with different colors. How do you decide which colors are BG and which are FG? You don't.

Again, it's only 100% reliable in Screen 0, for technical/logical limitations.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 02:37:44 am »
QB64 was developed 10 years ago, by a single author. My guess is Galleon (Rob) was happy enough to bring the QBasic SCREEN statement from SCREEN 0 to graphics, but decided, like Henery Ford, that everyone can be happy with black. Kidding aside, I think he ad so many other things on his plate, he wanted to move forward and not address (detect) every color possibility.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 02:41:46 am »
I still think using the current FG/BG makes the most sense.  Or else have optional colour values that can be passed to the SCREEN() function.  The developer can then choose what colour the BG should be... but really, default should be current FG/BG combo.

but user requests the ascii code of a position previously printed with different colors

The same would apply to any colour used, not just transparent black.  It doesn't make sense to force a particular colour on the programmer.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 02:44:38 am »
The reason why SCREEN works the way it does is rather simple:

SCREEN 0 is a TEXT-only screen, and is kept in memory in 2 byte chunks.  1 byte contains color information, the 2nd byte contains the character information.  It’s easy to recover character and text information as they’re stored in memory for every position on the screen.

ALL other text modes are graphic modes and information is stored in a pixel-by-pixel method.  PRINT “A” to the screen, and there’s *NO* information stored anywhere that calls that an “A” character.  All that is stored is an 8x16 segment of pixels colored in the foreground, background color of that character.

In text mode (SCREEN 0), the SCREEN command can *always* retrieve the character and color information for you.

In graphic mode, it simply *GUESSES* at the character which most closely matches that 8x16 pattern of pixels.

Let’s say I have a program which does:
PRINT “F”

Then I draw a line at the bottom of that “F”...

Comparing the graphics, which do you think would be more likely to be returned from the function —  “E” or “F”?

You printed F, but then drew a line...  Since it *almost* matches an “E” in the 8x16 pixel comparison, it’d probably report itself as an “E”....

Which is why you’ll *NEVER* have a reliable way to use SCREEN, in graphic modes, to tell the difference in CHR$(32) and CHR$(255).  You printed 2 different characters, but they’re both spaces on the screen, with the same blank pattern.

The only truly reliable way to know what characters are on the screen is to print them to SCREEN 0 so that character information is saved.  (Or store the character value in an array, if you want to go that way.) 

I can provide samples of both storage methods, if anyone wants.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 02:47:46 am »
I do understand that QB64 graphics modes do not contain a character array in video memory.  I also understand that the SCREEN() update for QB64 in graphics modes is a hack that will not always work correctly.

I still think it should use the current FG/BG colour instead of requiring one specific colour be used.  It gives more power to the programmer.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 02:52:01 am »
You make a feature request sound like an accusation, that's weird.

Suggestion noted though.

Cool project with the 2d animation btw.