Author Topic: Unable to install QB45 or QB64 on my windows 10  (Read 6239 times)

Offline Babyboomerboy

• View Profile
Unable to install QB45 or QB64 on my windows 10
« on: March 16, 2019, 03:05:56 pm »
I have been downloading QB45 programs but can't get it to open and run. I open the file explorer install the program on my C drive but when I try to open the program I get an error message that it can't run the program. Help please.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to install QB45 or QB64 on my windows 10
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 03:21:57 pm »
Welcome to forum!

I extract in downloads folder then move folder to desktop, where are you extracting? I think Windows is getting particular where you can put files specially if you don't have administrator privileges.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 03:28:00 pm by bplus »

Offline Babyboomerboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 03:27:46 pm »
I have a Dell desktop running windows 10.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 03:29:27 pm »
You know about extracting from a .zip file?

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 03:32:14 pm »
Dang, it's a .7z file from QB64.org, so you need a .7z extractor.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 03:39:14 pm »

Offline Jack002

• Forum Regular
  • Boss, l wanna talk about arrays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 04:46:18 pm »
I had the old QB64 and when I upgraded I saw that .7z file, I googled and found that winzip works to unzip it.
The new QB64 is so slick compared to the old 0.945 version. I love it

Good luck.
QB64 is the best!

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 05:34:07 pm »
Hi Babyboomerboy,

QB45 (QuickBasic) won't run on Windows 7, 8, 0r 10. The last Windows that it was compatible with was Windows XP, but only the 32 bit version. The GOOD NEWS is that QB64 is nearly 99%+ QB45 compatible. Just go to the download page, download the latest version, and copy and past a QB45 program into the QB64 IDE. Let us know if you get any error messages, as most are very simple to correct.

QB64 runs great in Windows 10. It is so much faster than QB45. In fact, one thing you may encounter is older programs running too fast! In QB64, just use the _DELAY statement to slow any loops down that are too fast. _DELAY .02, _DELAY 1, etc. the numbers are in seconds, and fractions like .02 and lower are accepted. Also, LOOPS can run the CPU too high, so use _LIMIT 30 (Limit to 30 frames per second) to conserve CPU usage in all your DO/LOOP routines.

Welcome to the forum!

Pete

Oh, I almost forgot. You might want to download DOSBox, too. That will allow you to run QB45 programs in Windows 10, but the it cannot use SHELL statements and has a few other restrictions. It's still nice to have on hand, just if you want to see how an older program looked and ran in the old days. BTW, I'm in my 60's, too.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 05:37:32 pm by Pete »
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline Babyboomerboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 04:05:09 pm »
First I want to thank all of you for the help. I am an old man and between chasing grandkids and trying to feed the family I haven't had a lot of time to play with the computer but here is what I have done. I downloaded 7Z and qb64. Then I couldn't figure out how to get qb64 file into the 7T unzipper. I use to use winzip and it was a little more friendly to use. When ever I got qb64 file it kept asking me to select one or more files but it doesn't work. Anyway, that's where I am right now. Thanks again

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 04:34:09 pm »
With 7-zip properly installed (you just click the .exe and accept defaults),

Right click the downloaded QB64 compressed file.

Look for the 7-zip item in the pop-up menu and click that. 7-zip installs in such a way that it becomes a part of the File Explorer.

You should see several options for extraction in another pop-up.
Click Extract files... or try one of the other 2 choices that talk about Extract.

I take the default place for extraction suggested by 7-zip which is in the Download Folder.
Once that is accepted in still another pop-up, the files get extracted.

Now you can move the folder wherever you want. I put it on the Desktop and store my QB64 files in a 000work Folder I make.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:39:06 pm by bplus »

Offline Babyboomerboy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 08:50:17 pm »
Thank you very much for helping me get this on my computer. I started working on a program back when I had a commodore 64. I've written this program in GW Basic, QBasic and QuickBasic. Hard to believe where we have come since 170K hard drives! Anyway, thanks again. You have brought a little joy to an ole man.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 09:12:38 pm »
You are welcome to post your code, if you like. We would be happy to help you update it, as needed.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 10:00:59 am »
Thank you very much for helping me get this on my computer. I started working on a program back when I had a commodore 64. I've written this program in GW Basic, QBasic and QuickBasic. Hard to believe where we have come since 170K hard drives! Anyway, thanks again. You have brought a little joy to an ole man.

Yeah!

There are some Basic hints for QB64 coming from older QB's:

The _KEYWORDS are new to QB64 and are listed first in Alphabetics Keywords in Help, ones without _prefix are compatible with older QBs. You can find on-line Wiki help here: http://qb64.org/wiki/Main_Page which is for me easier to use than Help in IDE.

You might want to Select and bullet "Output EXE to source folder" so that the compiled programs stay with the source .bas in same folder.

As Pete says, post your code, you can get help here getting up to speed with QB64. When posting code, select the code and click the # button in the editor to put the code in a code window or click the # button first and paste code in between the 2 bracketed items.

Offline Babyboomerboy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 03:31:05 pm »
Thank you guys for the help. I have been walking around this program and have found I can not cut and paste, or print out the program. I find it easier to find problems if I have the code in my hand instead of the screen. I will probably figure these things out but that is where I am now. Thanks again.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 05:24:48 pm »
Cut, copy, paste from IDE.

1 Mouse down below of above text to select for copy, cut.
2 Drag mouse to top or bottom of selection and release, should have a highlighted section of code.
3 Right click the mouse and a pop-up menu gives a bunch of options including cut, copy and paste. (You can also comment or uncomment code.)
4 Click the highlighted code again to unselect it.
5 Put your mouse over the Paste area and right click for pop-up menu again, click paste or you can paste any where else Windows let's you. You can also highlight/select another area and replace with a paste from last copy.

Shift + arrow keys also will select code, still need right mouse for pop-up Cut, Copy, Paste.

For printing out code, any decent Word Processor can print out a .bas file for you.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 05:29:53 pm by bplus »