Author Topic: Treasure from the past (DOS World)  (Read 3031 times)

Offline bobtheunplayer

• View Profile
Treasure from the past (DOS World)
« on: February 20, 2019, 03:21:32 am »
Hi guys,

I found a couple of diskettes containing a trove DOS World QBASIC programs.  I used to get DOS World magazine, and it looks like I saved these gems, but it would be a shame if they were lost to the sands of time, so I'm sharing them here.

Thanks,
Bob
* DOS World QBASIC.zip (Filesize: 220.46 KB, Downloads: 258)

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure from the past (DOS World)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 05:53:47 am »
I'm still waiting for Microsoft to come out with the new OS for DOS. I think they are calling it TRES. :D

I recognize some of those fro days gone by. AMORT.BAS is very much like one I coded in 1987, in ATARI Basic, and later converted to QB. Blaster I think I've seen before. WHEEL_O.bas is probably a Wheel of Fortune knockoff. I made stuff like that in the 1980's, too. Funsubs has me curious, but it's late. I'll have to open some of these up tomorrow. Thanks for posting. If you have any favorites you'd like to memorialize, let me know. We could pop them up on the old QBasic Forum, too.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 03:11:35 am »
Hi bobtheunplayer

yes I can say wow for this collection of BAS demos!

It's fine to see how world has been thought before windows advent!

Thanks to posting and share a collection from the past!

Hey but Mad Bomber is the DOS version of MineSweep (campo minato/prato fiorito).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 06:43:47 pm by TempodiBasic »
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline bobtheunplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 03:27:45 am »
@Pete, no thoughts on any one program for archival, just glad they could be shared.  I have a bunch of ASM program from DOS World too, but they are printed on magazine pages and have to be transcribed to electronic format, probably full of bugs too, but nothing debug.com cannot handle.

Offline qb4ever

• LOCATE 15,15: COLOR 14: PRINT "Hello World!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 12:35:44 pm »
Thanks !

Offline Diguelo

• I newer mayk typo errurs in coad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 07:23:41 am »
Well as for "Mad Bomber" that one had various dirivatives through DOS from V3 through till Windows 8. Sadly I guess the original program from the dim and distant past is forgotten. I saw this program back in the late 78. Back then I had just got my hands on the schools IBM / early PC. The new ram chips took us into a new world and the recently aquired Cassette backup system made life happier for all.
The game was a project being done in the schools info net, at that time it was a pile of papers being sent out by a central office in the county. Not many schools had a computer and those that did, very few were able to get near them.
Having sat and typed in the code, it had to be altered I recall because of our computer setup and the lack of a full on compatable DOS. Most of the code just displayed a 10 x 10 grid, no special graphics just an inverted character for the cursor and a series of asterisks for the places.

etc
Space for mark /maybe
enter to reveal.

I know this came from a school / college in Derby because of the letters header and was a prize winner in a competition held there. I saw the same program released the following year in the TRS 80 news. so thats as far back as I can remember it being around. Nowadays just about everyone knows it as "MineSweeper". Some of the older programs if they hadnt been handed out free where would we be today. 

After all man landed on the moon in 1969 using a computer with less memory than is in the average calculator today. >>>> wanders off mumbling about slide rules and algebra..........
Programming is like religion.
You pray that it works, then blame an unseen deity when it doesn't

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 11:16:54 am »
Welcome to Odin's Acres. A planned adult community of apparently all retired coders, and one kid from India who apparently hasn't figured that out yet.

Pete :D
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline Ashish

• Forum Resident
  • Never Give Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 08:59:10 am »
@Pete
You just need to wait for 3 years more. :D
if (Me.success) {Me.improve()} else {Me.tryAgain()}

My Projects - https://github.com/AshishKingdom?tab=repositories
OpenGL tutorials - https://ashishkingdom.github.io/OpenGL-Tutorials