Author Topic: Question for a proposal.  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • My small QB64 contribution
Question for a proposal.
« on: May 09, 2021, 05:23:12 pm »
Hello Fellippe,

Without going into the details of the internal InForm (because I do not have the skills), can I know if you generate the .bas source at the same time as we create a form or is this only when we save the form?

Depending on your answer, I may have a suggestion for you.

Best regards.
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

FellippeHeitor

Re: Question for a proposal.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 05:46:09 pm »
Both the form and the .bas file contents are generated at save time.

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 12:19:16 pm »
Both the form and the .bas file contents are generated at save time.

OK. So, would it be possible to generate the .bas code in real time instead of doing it when saving, for example, Adobe's Dreamwever tool generates the html (or the php) file at the same time as the form is graphicaly created?

Below is an example image which shows the graphical composition window and just above the code composition window:

dreamweaver.jpg

What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 12:31:06 pm by Fifi »
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 12:25:49 pm »
I don't see the advantage of continuously writing the temporary output to disk.

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 12:02:59 am »
Hi Fellippe,

I don't see the advantage of continuously writing the temporary output to disk.

This is not at all to continuously write the output to disk but in real time to a separate window like Dreamweaver.

This has two advantages:

1) you see the generated code in real time, and it's good for learning and then understanding what and how the form code is done,

2) You can immediately add the application code in this second window without having to save and go to the QB64 IDE to add the code needed to make the form usable.

In the picture I sent, you can manipulate the graphical user interface in one window and switch to the second window to extend the code, back and forth.

And that's why Adobe has such a real market Vs. a bunch of other HTML/PHP editors or IDE.

It is also the same approach used by Zend with their Framework as well as with PHP Visual Studio Code plus the Xdebug addon.

And in the good old days, that was also how my very good friend Bob Zale created Power Basic when he left Borland after making Turbo basic (which was actually 100% QB4.5 compatible - Been there, done that working with Bob for almost two years in Scotts Valley at the Borland facilities.).

So I think that's a great way to go.

Also, why don't you propose to the QB64 team that you are part of to create a complete new product that integrates the QB64 IDE, its compliler, InForm and vWATCH64 all together?

It would make a great product with great meaning.