Author Topic: QB64 Game Jam  (Read 17611 times)

Offline Gets

• View Profile
Re: QB64 Game Jam
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2021, 04:30:09 pm »
I didn't finish on time for this one and probably would have less time in the future so I don't know if I'd be able to participate, but it's a fun experience if you have the time for it. Would be a good idea to announce directly from the main QB64 twitter account before it starts, maybe.

Anyways, after getting some sleep I was able to fix the problem I had compiling, so I attached my game here.

It's a simple side scrolling action game where you can make use of a antigravity shot. It tosses everything it touches into the air, so you can use it as a shield, to navigate the screen, etc. As a shield it neutralizes energy fire and causes the bullets to harm enemies instead.

Controls:

Keyboard

esc: exits

left, right : run

up,down: aim gravity shot

x: jump
c: punch
spacebar: gravity shot - first press shoots, second press activates it, third recalls it.

Also works with gamepad

On my gamepad, A jumps, X punches and Y is the gravity shot, but I didn't have time to set up any kind of option to configure controls

Offline 40wattstudio

• View Profile
    • 40wattstudio
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2021, 05:43:40 pm »
@Gets Hey  . . . I thought this was the QB64 game jam, not the SNES game jam.
All jokes aside, wow, your game looks really good. Granted, I know myself how easy it is to just import nice graphics with _PUTIMAGE but this is the level of graphics I'd rather see in a qb64 game than things made with circle and line statements.
The scrolling background is nice and I like how the game stops progressing until you clear off all the enemies.

Your game also makes nice use of the anti-gravity theme. It definitely takes some timing, but I did like how you could stop your anti-gravity ball in midair and jump into it to jump even higher and punch flying enemies.

Controls for the most part are pretty good (I only played with keyboard) -- I occasionally got jump and fire mixed up.

My only real suggestion for improvement: Sometimes it can get a little hectic trying to manage your anti-gravity ball, dodge enemies by jumping and positioning oneself correctly to punch other ones. Maybe simplify the anti-matter weapon since that takes the most concentration as one always has to consider if the projectile is still moving, stopped or returning.

Good job! It looks and plays very similar to a late-era NES or early SNES title.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2021, 09:41:07 pm »
I didn't finish on time for this one and probably would have less time in the future so I don't know if I'd be able to participate, but it's a fun experience if you have the time for it. Would be a good idea to announce directly from the main QB64 twitter account before it starts, maybe.

Anyways, after getting some sleep I was able to fix the problem I had compiling, so I attached my game here.

It's a simple side scrolling action game where you can make use of a antigravity shot. It tosses everything it touches into the air, so you can use it as a shield, to navigate the screen, etc. As a shield it neutralizes energy fire and causes the bullets to harm enemies instead.

Controls:

Keyboard

esc: exits

left, right : run

up,down: aim gravity shot

x: jump
c: punch
spacebar: gravity shot - first press shoots, second press activates it, third recalls it.

Also works with gamepad

On my gamepad, A jumps, X punches and Y is the gravity shot, but I didn't have time to set up any kind of option to configure controls

Great looking game...@Gets, a pity you couldn't compile it in time. Superb graphics, sound effects, music, use of gravity.
Like HoverBoy, I think the game will be more exciting if the player gained points for killing monsters or progressing to next levels. :)

Nice!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 10:09:43 pm by Adrian »

Offline Gets

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2021, 10:12:33 pm »
Quote from: 40wattstudio
My only real suggestion for improvement: Sometimes it can get a little hectic trying to manage your anti-gravity ball, dodge enemies by jumping and positioning oneself correctly to punch other ones. Maybe simplify the anti-matter weapon since that takes the most concentration as one always has to consider if the projectile is still moving, stopped or returning.

Yeah, probably would help a bit to remove the returning portion and have it fade out over time. 

Quote from: Adrian
When I get to the stage as shown in the attached screenshot, I can leave my character and she never loses any lives or energy despite being hit by the laser bombs. :)

The bombs fade out shortly after they're fired, so hopefully you're just at the perfect distance for them to disappear right before hitting you.

Offline qbkiller101

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2021, 01:56:31 am »
Sure! (assuming that it's ok under the game jam rules). Spoiler alert: solutions to the quest are obviously in the source code, so peek if you get stuck :)

Of course, and btw, after the jam, these games will be available on your profile for anyone to see, whether or not they have an itch account

Offline qbkiller101

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2021, 01:59:35 am »
I would definitely be up for another one.

Brian ...

Well, I was thinking of having this as a semi-annual thing, should I?
This time I'm asking cuz the jam was very, well, you know.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2021, 03:04:02 am »
This time I'm asking cuz the jam was very, well, you know.

Yes.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 06:04:05 am by Adrian »

Offline 40wattstudio

• View Profile
    • 40wattstudio
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2021, 10:31:52 am »

Semi-annual sounds about right. I imagine the theme also plays a large role as to how many people participate. Personally, random themes can be quite fun, but you also risk losing potential participants if the theme just so happens to be something they're not interested in or have an idea for.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2021, 11:57:27 am »
Hoover Boy really nailed the Theme, IMHO.

Offline johannhowitzer

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2021, 02:28:34 am »
The important thing about the theme is that it be open ended and lend itself to multiple interpretations.  The speculative theme I saw tossed around - tic tac toe - is a bit too prescriptive, since tic tac toe itself is a very rigid formula and famously dull.  That said, I did have a good idea for that theme...

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2021, 03:52:19 am »
Can also suggest several themes and vote to choose the most popular one.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2021, 01:09:23 pm »
I was thinking taking up the challenge of the famously dull like TTT and seeing what people might do to make it better but

then I was reminded of lipstick for the pig. ;-))

On the other hand, beautiful is bacon on my burger.

Oh must be lunch time!

Offline qbkiller101

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2021, 01:40:54 am »
Can also suggest several themes and vote to choose the most popular one.

Well I was thinking of that, so I'll set up a Form (Google Forms) and then vote.

Offline johannhowitzer

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2021, 02:44:59 am »
I was thinking taking up the challenge of the famously dull like TTT and seeing what people might do to make it better but

then I was reminded of lipstick for the pig. ;-))
I'm reluctant to say much, since it's still very early in coding and no assets yet, but... I may just have found the perfect lipstick.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2021, 02:51:12 am »
Must be the color of an apple :)