Author Topic: Television by Sierraken and B+  (Read 2547 times)

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
Television by Sierraken and B+
« on: June 19, 2020, 02:17:56 pm »
B+ gave me this idea so I thought I would try it out this morning. I added 8 channels of 8 different TV show pictures and a dial to click to change the channels. Use the left and right mouse button to click the dial. :) All the files are in the zip file attachment. Notice also that when you move the mouse around, the static changes as well. lol Hey at least we didn't have to hold the antenna with the aluminum foil this time!

* TV by Sierraken and Bplus.zip (Filesize: 824.52 KB, Downloads: 169)

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
Re: Television by Sierraken and B+
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 05:54:17 pm »
So that's where the old shows went. :)

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 08:07:09 pm »
LOL Yep... I'm not exactly certain why I made this but at least we know it can be done. lol

Offline lawsonm1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 10:08:49 pm »
You know, along similar lines, I was thinking of writing a program that would have a list of all of my videos and movies, in sort of a database arrangement, then you could search by title ot some sort of tagging, and then have it kick off VLC to play the movie. Any thoughts? Mike

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 02:06:14 pm »
You know, along similar lines, I was thinking of writing a program that would have a list of all of my videos and movies, in sort of a database arrangement, then you could search by title ot some sort of tagging, and then have it kick off VLC to play the movie. Any thoughts? Mike

@Petr did an excellent one for playing music and helped Ken and others with music players or just accessing files from what I call navigator. @SMcNeill also has done fine work. Might even go with InForm with help from @FellippeHeitor  (have I seen a File Dialog from Inform? that would be great!)

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 11:39:16 pm »
Let me know how I can be useful.

Offline Petr

• Forum Resident
  • The best code is the DNA of the hops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 11:13:22 am »

Ideas? I would divide it into three sections. First - find and describe. The program goes through individual subfolders (or the whole disk, but there will be complications with access rights to some folders), so I would rather choose to browse the subfolders of the specified folder, we can read ID3 (this would of course adapt), we can write in the field the path to it specific file and if there is a photo in that folder, it is possible to take its path and binary content. So if somewhere in the subfolder there will be MP3 files (for example), it will be specified that the folder name is the name of the album, mp3 files will contain an ID3 tag, all this data can be collected in a huge database. In this case, it is very easy to assign a time to each track, for which there is a built-in function directly in the QB64. Same with movies. For detailed information on all film formats, it would be necessary to study the way of writing the heads of these film formats, then it would be possible to obtain both the resolution of the films, perhaps the type of soundtrack inside, but mainly the total length of the film. I haven't done this before.

This is the first part. How to get information, what information and from what sources.

The second part - how to save this information. Is enough a huge text file, which is full of links to specific files on disk? Or rather a binary file where photos (photos from individual albums or movies) will be stored? Or save it as a database? Some programmers talked about mySQL here, could it be used? (I have no experience with that).

The third part - how to view it. Should it be a line list where, after pressing enter, a specific movie/music starts immediately, or should each item be in the whole window, with a photo, with a sample and with the option to insert a description? All this can be written with QB64. Depending on the complexity, it will also take so much time.

What I would be most interested in personally is the way how convert
 text database to Excel and how to set the borders of individual cells there. Also, how to lock the header, or which external library use for this convert.

And finally. Updates. Printing. Options to sort by file date, or alphabetically in descending or ascending order. There are many things that can be implanted in this.

I will try to write a program that will create a list of movies and music. When it's done, I'll add it to the forum to own thread.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 11:33:56 am by Petr »

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 12:22:12 pm »
That ain't working
That's the way you do it
You run SCREEN ZERO on QBTV
That ain't working
That's the way you do it
Get your Bit Coin for nothing and your source for free
I want my... I want my... I want my new QB.

But if you really want to be in dire straights, you need FreeBASIC for that.
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline lawsonm1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 10:26:35 am »
My apologies to SierraKen and Bplus if this is hijacking your original post. If a new thread is best, I will certainly do it.

To Petr's post; I have four folders with video, Home Video, Movies, Video, and YouTube (I have a program that downloads stuff from YouTube). Each of these folders has subdirectories that contain avi, mp4, mpg, and mpeg files. I use VLC to play them.

As a start, I am thinking of the following tags; name of the video clip, B/W or color, length of clip, type of clip (home movie, war movie, computer tutorial video, etc.). So I believe I will certainly need a search and sort capability (bubble sort - cuz I easily understand that one!).

Mike

Offline Petr

• Forum Resident
  • The best code is the DNA of the hops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 10:35:50 am »
Ok. I'll start with that today (in night), start a new thread and put individual subroutines there as I develop them.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 11:34:03 am »
My apologies to SierraKen and Bplus if this is hijacking your original post. If a new thread is best, I will certainly do it.

Hi @lawsonm1

I am OK because Ken just started a new thread answering my little challenge from here:
https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=2722.msg119426#msg119426

What you guys are getting into is very interesting and I hope you start a thread with a Searchable Memorable name in case you come up with some nice example code people can follow.

I am wondering if you go database route or do a "navigator" thing to explore and "play" files on your hard disk or even from the Internet.

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 12:10:35 pm »

I've done it to others in the past, so this is fine. :)

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 12:13:45 pm »
That ain't working
That's the way you do it
You run SCREEN ZERO on QBTV
That ain't working
That's the way you do it
Get your Bit Coin for nothing and your source for free
I want my... I want my... I want my new QB.

But if you really want to be in dire straights, you need FreeBASIC for that.

LOL Pete!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 12:15:22 pm by SierraKen »

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 02:26:26 pm »
The second part - how to save this information. Is enough a huge text file, which is full of links to specific files on disk? Or rather a binary file where photos (photos from individual albums or movies) will be stored? Or save it as a database? Some programmers talked about mySQL here, could it be used? (I have no experience with that).
This is along the same idea I had for myself with playing music. I was going to store a list of songs in a MySQL database on my computer with all the information in there stored like tags to reference album, artist, year, title, writer, length, etc.... I just never got around to doing it. Too lazy. This, with videos and movies, would be an excellent way to use it. I am pretty good with MySQL database creation and using it with QB64. Just don't use PHPadmin. Use MySQL Workbench for any kind of management of the database. Storing and getting data is super simple with MySQL. It's the best way to get the data you want. Sorting the data is as easy as pie because you can determine the sort in your query. No need for QB64 sorting functions. I'd be happy to help with doing a MySQL part of this.
Shuwatch!

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 03:03:12 pm »
This is along the same idea I had for myself with playing music. I was going to store a list of songs in a MySQL database on my computer with all the information in there stored like tags to reference album, artist, year, title, writer, length, etc.... I just never got around to doing it. Too lazy. This, with videos and movies, would be an excellent way to use it. I am pretty good with MySQL database creation and using it with QB64. Just don't use PHPadmin. Use MySQL Workbench for any kind of management of the database. Storing and getting data is super simple with MySQL. It's the best way to get the data you want. Sorting the data is as easy as pie because you can determine the sort in your query. No need for QB64 sorting functions. I'd be happy to help with doing a MySQL part of this.

If you start a thread on Getting Started with MySQL, I'd be interested. I see it talked about on several forums and am curious.