Author Topic: Checkers with Mouse  (Read 5775 times)

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
Re: Checkers with Mouse
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 01:40:23 pm »
I like that one, even though I've never been much of a checkers player, it is a great presentation.

Thanks, I am not much of a checkers player either. Thought it might be a challenge to code some AI because this game is pretty boring me playing against myself :P though, I am picking up some strategies for board position and move timing.

I was checking out maxmin and alpha-beta pruning today and learned checkers has been "solved" both players play perfect game and it ends in draw (machine learning). This gave me a radical idea but I need to know more about end game draws, like when it is time to call one.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 04:14:33 pm »
Thanks, I am not much of a checkers player either. Thought it might be a challenge to code some AI because this game is pretty boring me playing against myself :P though, I am picking up some strategies for board position and move timing.

I was checking out maxmin and alpha-beta pruning today and learned checkers has been "solved" both players play perfect game and it ends in draw (machine learning). This gave me a radical idea but I need to know more about end game draws, like when it is time to call one.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/checkers-solved

Checkers is like tic-tac-toe: You can never win; you can only lose.  IF you play a perfect game and your opponent plays a perfect game, the game will always result in a draw.  Only when somebody screws up and makes a non-perfect move will there be a “winner” — and in a case like that, can you really call yourself a winner??

Isn’t it just a case where the other guy is simply a loser??  THEY screwed up and lost.  YOU didn’t really earn a win!  Ergo...

Checkers is just a game losers play!  :P

Eventually, I imagine we’ll learn a lot of our games end up the same.  Chess, go, poker....  We just haven’t computed all the possible combinations yet, but I imagine eventually humanity will discover that as long as both sides play perfectly, all games will end in a draw....

Which leaves me to think: Heaven must be an awfully boring place, since we’re all supposed to be perfect once we go there...
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2020, 07:43:24 pm »
Hey! "I" play checkers! That means that you are calling me a loser? Hmm... You make a fair point. Touche.
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline DANILIN

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • Danilin youtube
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 10:59:26 am »
Quick checkers strategy:

a random checker makes a random move

but I'm more like Reversi

reversism.gif
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:16:42 am by DANILIN »
Russia looks world from future. big data is peace data.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBBTP9oVY7IagpH0g9FNUQ8JqmHwxDDDB
i never recommend anything to anyone and always write only about myself

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 11:10:56 am »
https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/checkers-solved

Checkers is like tic-tac-toe: You can never win; you can only lose.  IF you play a perfect game and your opponent plays a perfect game, the game will always result in a draw.  Only when somebody screws up and makes a non-perfect move will there be a “winner” — and in a case like that, can you really call yourself a winner??

Isn’t it just a case where the other guy is simply a loser??  THEY screwed up and lost.  YOU didn’t really earn a win!  Ergo...

Checkers is just a game losers play!  :P

Eventually, I imagine we’ll learn a lot of our games end up the same.  Chess, go, poker....  We just haven’t computed all the possible combinations yet, but I imagine eventually humanity will discover that as long as both sides play perfectly, all games will end in a draw....

Which leaves me to think: Heaven must be an awfully boring place, since we’re all supposed to be perfect once we go there...

This philosophy makes you ignorant of your perfection unless you prove yourself with play.

That is of course if we buy into the notion that you are only the results of what you did.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 12:09:56 pm by bplus »

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2020, 12:25:40 am »
Status update: Currently thinking about the evaluate function. Assuming I can get a recurring sub going that takes me 10 branch levels deep in board, I have to determine how good the positions are for both players. I know, count the pieces left, but I also think count the number of moves there are free to make, pieces that are neither blocked nor are going to get jumped if they do move. The dang forced jumping means branches with offshoots!

Ah, Reversi looking better and better... :-))
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 01:04:47 am by bplus »