Author Topic: something fun, something nastaligic to look at!  (Read 3593 times)

Offline xra7en

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
something fun, something nastaligic to look at!
« on: December 24, 2018, 02:57:36 pm »
so I was bored - Im not big on holidays. so dug out some old David Ahl games, and found a couple nice old ones (dukem was one). And As I started, I forgot how spaeghetti it was. OMG!

So gonna see if i can modernize some of that code and make it more structured - I used to think the goto x wasnt that bad. until I got into OOP (php), and wow, boing, boing boing..LOST!
Challenge? Take one of those monster codes and see if you can modernize it.
I was gonna start on this, and boy did I get lost, gonna need to see if i can print it. and draw a maze with a sharpie LOL

Yes this is, I think, the original Star Trader(I thought I was the only hermit that had a few of these mags laying around)
https://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/access/text/2017/09/102661095/102661095-05-v2-games-acc.pdf

this is a little better, but just as sloppy
https://www.atariarchives.org/bigcomputergames/showpage.php?page=57

both these and other older programs get messy when it comes to accessing the data with lots of restores and loops, and all the unessasary goto's  - some of the gosubs were old

so I wimped out, and redoing a modern style star trek (remember that? of course you do), cept this has the following changes

Code: PHP: [Select]
  1. '//============================================================================
  2. '//--- https://www.atariarchives.org/basicgames/showpage.php?page=157
  3. '//---
  4. '//--- MY CHANGES TO THE GAME INVOLVES BREAKING AWAY FROM THE TRADITIONAL
  5. '//---      o Every quadrant has 1 - 5 enemmies -RNG
  6. '//---          x Quadrant can only be cleared if the leader (randomly appears
  7. '//---            after 10 enemies are killed (.02% chance of showing.
  8. '//---      o There are now 5 - 20 planets that can be explored for materials
  9. '//---      o A void (unnammed entity) is "nulifiying the universe
  10. '//---          x To destroy it, a speacial machine is needed to be "crafted"
  11. '//---          x These materials are found on planets surfaces
  12. '//============================================================================

I COULD call it something else, but I will be using the main core of the super star trek code as a guide
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 03:01:25 pm by xra7en »
I just like re-writing old DOS book games into modern QB64 code - weird hobby, I know!

Offline blametroi

• View Profile
Re: something fun, something nastaligic to look at!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 06:27:26 pm »
Now that's a fun blast from the past. I had some of the Ahl books. No idea where they ended up :(

Offline xra7en

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 09:47:37 pm »
They were my teachers from Coco iii, to today!!! Best way to learn to program
I just like re-writing old DOS book games into modern QB64 code - weird hobby, I know!

Offline xra7en

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 04:22:16 pm »
Here is a work-in-progress.... (when are they not right? LOL)

As you can see there are some sleight changes.. (massive changes behind the scenes)

like, dislike, suggestions, comments?

Offline blametroi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 06:02:18 pm »

The 8-bit system I spent the most time with was the various incarnations of the CoCo. Great machine.

Offline xra7en

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 06:55:49 pm »

The 8-bit system I spent the most time with was the various incarnations of the CoCo. Great machine.

although I never kept up with the language - the Timex Sinclair 1K version, I was able to write a breakout game using only assembly language.
You programed the whole thing in  a single line held in the REM statement. then used a launcher program to execute the REM and that was a very fast breakout game!!
Wish I would have stayed with the Assembly language.
And CoCo III had an OS (purchased separately) don't remember at the moment, but I think it was called OS9???? I think? No?

Offline xra7en

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 09:49:37 pm »
 I think I have this in the wrong thread LOL. Mod?
halluuuuu?

ok I suppose I better ad some pix

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]   [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]    [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]    [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]    [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 09:53:17 pm by xra7en »

Offline blametroi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 11:30:43 pm »
And CoCo III had an OS (purchased separately) don't remember at the moment, but I think it was called OS9???? I think? No?

OS 9, if you look for retro communities there is a rather active one for the CoCo and OS 9 has been recreated. It was pretty cool.