Author Topic: CD Access  (Read 2679 times)

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
CD Access
« on: October 15, 2018, 06:17:03 am »
Does QB64 have the ability to access and play CD's and if so how?
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline Petr

• Forum Resident
  • The best code is the DNA of the hops.
    • View Profile
Re: CD Access
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 06:59:11 am »
Hi. The following sentences are my estimation. If there really is a better way, of course I would also be very interested in how.

This is probably only possible with use an some external library because the audio CD format uses its own data format. They are basically WAV files but are not readable because CD-DA has one BYTE size of 14 bits, which is not compatible with the standard (8 bites per byte). With such a structure, the OPEN statement is computed, so CD-DA without special software is directly not accessible to QB64.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:01:46 am by Petr »

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:25:39 am »
Thanks Petr.

I was hoping for something a little less complicated... lol  I wasn't sure it was possible but had to at least try...

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

J
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline qbguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 09:38:48 pm »
Hi. The following sentences are my estimation. If there really is a better way, of course I would also be very interested in how.

This is probably only possible with use an some external library because the audio CD format uses its own data format. They are basically WAV files but are not readable because CD-DA has one BYTE size of 14 bits, which is not compatible with the standard (8 bites per byte). With such a structure, the OPEN statement is computed, so CD-DA without special software is directly not accessible to QB64.
CDDA is 16-bit Linear PCM sampled at 44,100 Hz. (source: Wikipedia) (but there is no WAV header).  However, you still can't read it with ordinary file OPEN .  https://superuser.com/questions/1302319/why-you-cant-just-dd-cd-audio-like-an-ordinary-data-cd
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:41:53 pm by qbguy »